Scenic Eclipse

russg140

Just to add another 5 cents worth,

Scenic is the same company that has in their terms & conditions that they can substitute a ship with a bus!

(Or perhaps a rowboat in the case of the Marie Eclipse!)

Its also the same company that knew that it was impossible to navigate the rivers during a certain time in June 2013 (as shown by Email from the Owner), but saying that the customers should be given the a European Experience by bus, instead of the very expensive 14 day river cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

OK so my 2cents worth now my money has finally gone into the bank I want to also express my bitter disappointment with Scenic - I too was sucked in by the glossy brochures/video - without going too much into it the likelihood of being able to do this again with my daughter is slim - nothing serious just timing with dd finishing uni, jobs and several other factors etc etc etc  We had planned well in advanced paid the high non refundable deposit 18 months early again etc as others did - whilst you can never say never I with 99.9% certainty will never consider this company in the future.  The fact they were ringing my TA on the Friday (payment was due on the following Tuesday) asking for payment a few days early (thankfully she said she would pay on the due date) - to be honest I find that quite unconsciable.  With their "generous" rebooking option it would have cost me several thousand more for the same cruise - nope not for me customer service attrocious even if it is only now I have received my money.

2 minutes ago, CassCruise said:

OK so my 2cents worth now my money has finally gone into the bank I want to also express my bitter disappointment with Scenic - I too was sucked in by the glossy brochures/video - without going too much into it the likelihood of being able to do this again with my daughter is slim - nothing serious just timing with dd finishing uni, jobs and several other factors etc etc etc  We had planned well in advanced paid the high non refundable deposit 18 months early again etc as others did - whilst you can never say never I with 99.9% certainty will never consider this company in the future.  The fact they were ringing my TA on the Friday (payment was due on the following Tuesday) asking for payment a few days early (thankfully she said she would pay on the due date) - to be honest I find that quite unconsciable.  With their "generous" rebooking option it would have cost me several thousand more for the same cruise - nope not for me customer service attrocious even if it is only now I have received my money.

I think you've stated the position of many cruisers well ... well done to your travel agency for not paying prior to the due date - their phone call asking for early payment smacks of desperate need for cash IMO.

I can't blame you for not trusting them nor wanting to take a chance on them again.  Let me tell you this from personal experience .. they simply do not learn their lesson about providing truthful advice and good customer service -  IMO they think of paying passengers as cash cows and nothing else...they seem to have treat customers like a herd of cattle that can be ushered into one ship then off load them and the next lot come in ... their so called discounts off another cruise are just not worth it IMO while they treat passengers so disrespectfully.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CassCruise said:

Feel exactly as you do,8 weeks after taking final payment,a bank transfer,and being rushed to pay.We received the phone call that the cruise was cancelled,that was July last year. Still no ship!😳

8 hours ago, dougo in oz said:

I think you've stated the position of many cruisers well ... well done to your travel agency for not paying prior to the due date - their phone call asking for early payment smacks of desperate need for cash IMO.

I can't blame you for not trusting them nor wanting to take a chance on them again.  Let me tell you this from personal experience .. they simply do not learn their lesson about providing truthful advice and good customer service -  IMO they think of paying passengers as cash cows and nothing else...they seem to have treat customers like a herd of cattle that can be ushered into one ship then off load them and the next lot come in ... their so called discounts off another cruise are just not worth it IMO while they treat passengers so disrespectfully.

Exactly,well put.

14 hours ago, CassCruise said:

That is a real "red flag" to me.   Scenic ringing for early payment????  What a ridiculous situation.  I also think it is outrageous that Scenic continue to dupe the unsuspecting public by failing to keep their website updated with current information on the problems with the ship build.  The last update was November 2018, and still has the ship sailing in April 2019.  Not everyone has the benefit of cruise critic to bring "'reality" to them.  I think it is appalling that people may be continuing to book the Eclipse completely unaware of the risks.  

49 minutes ago, cruising kirby said:

That is a real "red flag" to me.   Scenic ringing for early payment????  What a ridiculous situation.  I also think it is outrageous that Scenic continue to dupe the unsuspecting public by failing to keep their website updated with current information on the problems with the ship build.  The last update was November 2018, and still has the ship sailing in April 2019.  Not everyone has the benefit of cruise critic to bring "'reality" to them.  I think it is appalling that people may be continuing to book the Eclipse completely unaware of the risks.  

On the U.S. website they do have an update.  Not sure about the Australia site.

https://www.scenicusa.com/ocean-cruises

41 minutes ago, cruising kirby said:

Well that is interesting that the Australian website doesn't have anything past last November.  Nothing about the latest delay until August.

The company is based in Australia and walking a tight rope, they do not want to much information close to home as it could cause a investigation.  What Scenic  is doing is a variation of a  Ponzi Scheme..... while not investors  the marks are guests who are asked to pay for cruises in full, so the company can spend the money, long before the cruise. And when the cruise does not happen they promise big future rewards in the form of discounts.  The basic plan is the same take your money now, spend it and later use someone else money to refund you.  All the time build large liabilities to guests. 

Why do you think they want direct bank transfers? It is not to avoid the credit card fees which are very small, it is to stop charge backs and control how and when they must refund money.   If everyone had paid on credit cards and now demand refunds Scenic does not have the cash to provide them.

My wife and I were booked on the Ultimate Vikings & Atlantic Canada cruise on the Scenic Eclipse which was scheduled to depart Reykjavik on the 6th August 2019. This was a back to back 22 day cruise, which by the way we booked in June 2016, almost 3years ago.

As you all know the launch of the Eclipse has now been delayed until 15th August 2019. This date happens to be the departure date for the second part of that cruise.

We were given the choice to cancel everything or continue with the second part of the cruise.

After much thought, we chose the latter, as it was the simplest option and would mean the rest of our plans would not need to be change greatly.

Of course we had to have an alternative plan in mind, in the event that the Eclipse does not make the 15th August date.

Well, I can happily report that Scenic have not only refunded all the money for the first part of the cruise but they have also gives us a 25% reduction for the second part of the cruise. That's most unusual, as normally company's only give a discount on future bookings. We were very pleased about that, so have to give credit to Scenic for that decision. Now we can just hope they get the ship launched this time around so that we are not forced to make plan xyz happen.

Goorawin,

It is your money and your choice, But the ship will not sail in August 2019.... And if they lose the appeal of the lawsuit or file for bankruptcy it will be years or maybe never until you get a refund. Scenic  is cash poor and in trouble they have lied to many guests before you so why do you think they are not lying now?  

I would be booking a back up plan now, or you will be staying home.

2 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

Goorawin,

It is your money and your choice, But the ship will not sail in August 2019.... And if they lose the appeal of the lawsuit or file for bankruptcy it will be years or maybe never until you get a refund. Scenic  is cash poor and in trouble they have lied to many guests before you so why do you think they are not lying now?  

I would be booking a back up plan now, or you will be staying home.

Just curious why you are so eager to  incessantly repeat your negative opinion on a ship you have never booked nor clearly have any intention of ever sailing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally I am totally over all the negative comments on this forum topic. I think it needs to be stated that sometimes even for the most diligent and considered people & companies things can go wrong that are out of our/their control. The real question is when this has happened have they compensated out of pocket expenses. Yes.  From what I can see in this forum they have repaid out of pocket expenses to those effected as well as offering discounts. I suspect some will continue to complain but I suspect that they likely complain about everything. Ray

Just now, R&R Cruiser said:

Personally I am totally over all the negative comments on this forum topic. I think it needs to be stated that sometimes even for the most diligent and considered people & companies things can go wrong that are out of our/their control. The real question is when this has happened have they compensated out of pocket expenses. Yes.  From what I can see in this forum they have repaid out of pocket expenses to those effected as well as offering discounts. I suspect some will continue to complain but I suspect that they likely complain about everything. Ray

I so agree with your post.  There are some people who continually post on here who have made it clear they would never book a cruise on the Eclipse.  These people have made their point.  Enough is enough.  I am looking forward to my cruise on the Eclipse in 2020. 

5 minutes ago, Marty156 said:

Maybe you should ask the 1200 people still waiting for compensation from the 2013 disaster?

Or those people from 2018 that were also lied to and not compensated by this company?

Agreed it is clear what is going on here. But if guests are so blind or unable to see the truth behind Scenic, nothing can be done to change or help them. But new cruisers or people looking at this line should and will know the truth. Thousands of people have been lied to and mislead. Poster here have said they needed to involve lawyers to get the money back and others still want to believe the lies from the company.  

1 hour ago, Carol From California said:

I so agree with your post.  There are some people who continually post on here who have made it clear they would never book a cruise on the Eclipse.  These people have made their point.  Enough is enough.  I am looking forward to my cruise on the Eclipse in 2020. 

I believe that people should be forewarned about issues - regardless of whether it's travel related or something you may buy in a homewares shop.  Being forwarned allows people to make considered choices IMO.  Choose to act on the advice, you may save yourself some angst, heartbreak and a lot of time - choose to ignore it, that's on your head.

The thing is, this is an Australian company and we Aussies know from experience going back more than 10 years that the customer service operations of this company have not changed at all.  Yet many people on this forum have been disappointed by the lack of transparency with communications they've received / can see on the website which may reflect something different to the reality, specifically about the build of this ship.  IMO and other's opinions, this lack of communication and good customer service clearly that lets the company down badly ... not just once ... many times.

Being non Australians you may not be aware of the number of cases that have ended up at various Australian state's equivalents to the US Better Business Bureau.  

Many of us Aussies are aware of those cases and very much aware of the tactics used by this company when the class action was taken a couple of years ago ... the only reason there was a class action was because that company failed to live up to what was promised in the contract, failed to negotiate with passengers after their shocking "cruise" and for many, failed to offer them anything at all.  We all have Consumer Protection under law, however for some reason or other, that seemed to be ignored ... the Class Action was based on that Consumer Law.  

Yet, for some nationalities other than Aussies, the company cancelled cruises, gave them their money back but still insisted on proceeding with the Aussie groups telling at least one group of them who fronted up at the Hotel in Budapest to meet their CD, that the "cruise" was going ahead despite other cruise lines pulling out due to the dangerous nature of the 1:500 year flooding across Europe.  

Furthermore when people expressed their deep concerns for safety, I understand the CD said they could walk out, leave "but you'll get nothing from us".  Those who stayed experienced much less than the promised 5 star cruise - they were bussed around and some stayed in 3 star hotels for at least half the so called "cruise".  It seems that only those new passengers were offered more than a paltry $250 compensation per couple.  Why did they stay?  Well Australian's insurance policies don't necessarily cover "cancel for any reason", however had the company declared a "Force Majeur", insurance companies would have covered their losses. The losses these passengers sustained were not cheap - for some it was their first time overseas and they saved for years for this trip of a lifetime.

Turning a blind eye to these issues is an individual's choice of course ... it kind of reminds me when I was in a hotel overseas several years ago and had just been on a European ocean cruise - beautiful ship but shocking customer service, terrible food and extremely rude crew.  

At breakfast a lady from the US or Canada asked where I was from and if we were going on a holiday.  I told her we had been on a cruise (not Scenic Tours) ... "oh which one ?" she asked.  I told her .. "was it good? We're going on one in a few days" ... so being the honest person I am, I told her truthfully about our experience and many others (a member of the CD's staff was set up each morning near the front desk for an hour each day to take complaints - yes it was that bad !!).  So off she went, sat down and said to her companions "I don't like it when people say something like that" ... I felt like saying "well lady, you asked, you were told the truth and if can't handle the truth then you shouldn't have asked".  I didn't of course say anything in response, but interestingly that same cruise company still gets lots of complaints about the same issues we had on board more than 10 years ago ... 

Some things never change ....

• Like 1

Scenic cruisers seem to fall mostly Into two categories depending on river conditions during their cruise. 

If river levels are good, the customer experience is almost up to what the brochure advertises. That was basically our experience in August, 2015 although our Budapest to Nuremberg cruise was truncated slightly at the end due to low water downstream  from Regensburg. 

If river levels are are too high or too low, customer experience ranges from mediocre to terrible. It does appear to me they Scenic is learning some from experience(for US customers anyway). During the low water in 2018, there did not seem to be quite as many terrible reviews as in previous low-water years. But scenic is still pretty terrible when it comes to letting customers know about issues before the cruise. 

We we are booked on a Amsterdam to Basel cruise this October. I expect no help from Scenic about river conditions leading up to the cruise, but that is the case for most river cruise lines. One good rainstorm changes everything so the companies choose to be optimistic. 

I’ll be monitoring the river cruise threads on CC to keep myself informed on river conditions and help form Plans B and C for the vacation. 

1 hour ago, jeb_bud said:

But scenic is still pretty terrible when it comes to letting customers know about issues before the cruise. 

Funny you should say that ... my understanding is in their appeal against the Class Action, Scenic argued before the High Court in Australia last year that it had no responsibility to warn or let customers know about issues before they start their cruise ... which they know has a very real possibility of ending up as a coach holiday.

• 3 weeks later...

We were booked on the 15 August 2019 Reykjavik to Quebec cruise,  we booked 3 years ago.  Originally  our cruise would have been  a year after launching.   Now it is the "first" cruise.  My husband has been  watching the shipyard and the Croatian news,  and we decided early this month  to cancel  our cruise.  Our  TA has been  great.   Today  we were notified  of  a FULL refund in less than   week,    we still think  that the Eclipse  will not sail  in  August.

Edited by rojaan19
  • Like 1