Scenic Eclipse

russg140

Thanks for posting Ricky. Unlike others I didn’t doubt they would achieve their August sail date. Scenic are a professional outfit that have been dealing with circumstances outside of their control. When things changed at the docks they reacted. When trips were cancelled, they refunded. I hope all the negative comments will cease now ......but I suspect they won’t.

We are booked on the Eclipse April 5th from Buenos Aires to Lisbon.  Like everyone else we have been nervous and concerned about the status of the ships construction.  

The time for booking our flights is rapidly approaching and we have asked our T/A to reach out to Scenic to get an update on the likelihood of the ships completion being on schedule (August 15th).  We received a response that indicates that sea trials will begin in June and they are confident that the first cruise will be on August 15th.

We will keep our fingers crossed and remain positive however I am still waiting a few more weeks before booking our flights.

1 hour ago, TRIPACIAN said:

We are booked on the Eclipse April 5th from Buenos Aires to Lisbon.  Like everyone else we have been nervous and concerned about the status of the ships construction.  

The time for booking our flights is rapidly approaching and we have asked our T/A to reach out to Scenic to get an update on the likelihood of the ships completion being on schedule (August 15th).  We received a response that indicates that sea trials will begin in June and they are confident that the first cruise will be on August 15th.

We will keep our fingers crossed and remain positive however I am still waiting a few more weeks before booking our flights.

Like you, we have been nervous and concerned about the possibility of our December cruise being cancelled.  The fact that Scenic reimburses 100% cruise, hotel, and air (per our TA) helps minimize our anxiety.  We do have a backup plan in case the launch is delayed till 2020:  a winter land tour as replacement and rebooking the same scenic cruise in 2020-2021.

Instead of booking hotel/air ourselves, we have Scenic arrange for us, because we do not want to pay non refundable penalty if Scenic cancels cruise.  We just ticketed/paid for the air through Scenic.  I think by asking us to buy air tickets 8 months in advance, Scenic must be confident about launching on time.

52 minutes ago, dreamercruise said:

Like you, we have been nervous and concerned about the possibility of our December cruise being cancelled.  The fact that Scenic reimburses 100% cruise, hotel, and air (per our TA) helps minimize our anxiety.  We do have a backup plan in case the launch is delayed till 2020:  a winter land tour as replacement and rebooking the same scenic cruise in 2020-2021.

Instead of booking hotel/air ourselves, we have Scenic arrange for us, because we do not want to pay non refundable penalty if Scenic cancels cruise.  We just ticketed/paid for the air through Scenic.  I think by asking us to buy air tickets 8 months in advance, Scenic must be confident about launching on time.

Thanks for your response.  We use ff miles for airfare and like you we have an alternate plan if our cruise is canceled.  Obviously if your cruise sails ours should too.

Let’s hope everything works as planned, the ship just looks beautiful.

3 hours ago, TRIPACIAN said:

Our cruise is right after yours, a 9 day cruise from Lisbon to Barcelona from April 25 to May 3, 2020. 

I also have a backup travel plan for that period in case this one fall through.

Can't wait to sail on her. 

Edited by Ricky Chan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

LOOKING GOOD

It looks as though Scenic Eclipse has now started its sea trials. It left port on 7th June under its own power and has been doing speed tests.

So maybe, this time it will make the mid August launch date. If the trails are completed in the next week or so it will give them plenty of time to sort any other issues out before the first cruise in about six weeks. Normally that time is only a week or so.

I will be interested to see how long before Scenic updates this positive information on their web site.

4 hours ago, goorawin said:

LOOKING GOOD

It looks as though Scenic Eclipse has now started its sea trials. It left port on 7th June under its own power and has been doing speed tests.

So maybe, this time it will make the mid August launch date. If the trails are completed in the next week or so it will give them plenty of time to sort any other issues out before the first cruise in about six weeks. Normally that time is only a week or so.

I will be interested to see how long before Scenic updates this positive information on their web site.

This is great news! Was this reported by a news source? I monitor news alerts on the Eclipse daily but haven't been able to find this update.

No, this has not been reported in the news, but like you I have been tracking its progress, through any source that I could find. About 2 weeks ago came across marine traffic, which was tracking it, even though it was stationary in the shipyard. Then today it I noticed that it was on the move.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:5895657/imo:9797371

Currently it appears, as the graph indicates by its changing speed and direction that it must be under full trials which has just started today. I have been watching it for the last five hours changing direction and speed. I have noticed that the maximum speed of 17.7 knots has been reached, which is in excess of its rated speed of 17 knots, a must for it to pass as is its ability to stop and turn within certain parameters.

Since we are booked to join it on the 15 August I can feel a little more confident that it will make it, as well hopefully it'll have most of the normal new bugs sorted out before that date.

Just because the ship is at sea does not mean the real trials have started. It also does not say the inside of the ship is finished.  Still very  very questionable that the company will be able to complete all the mandatory testing, inspections, turnover, stock the ship with supplies and crew. 

I still would not consider the August 15th cruise as sailing. 

Cool Cruiser

I know you have been anti Scenic for a very long time and no doubt you have your reasons.

I have certainly not let Scenic off, over their handling of the problems with the Eclipse, either.

However you are obsessively not aware of the process and what is involved in Ship trialling, which appears to be happening at the moment and will probably continue for a few days.

Normally once a cruise ship passes that process it will go into service within two to three weeks, and that happens with both small and large ships. In truth, time means money for any Company, so even if a ship is not totally completed with some of the finer details, it will still be taking on passages and doing its maiden voyage as planned. That is why so many issues are discovered on any new ship, during the first couple of cruises.

Scenic will still have many issues to face in the foreseeable future, but I think it will come together for them for this launch.

Never the less, I suggest that you may be totally wrong, this time around.

On 6/8/2019 at 12:20 AM, goorawin said:

No, this has not been reported in the news, but like you I have been tracking its progress, through any source that I could find. About 2 weeks ago came across marine traffic, which was tracking it, even though it was stationary in the shipyard. Then today it I noticed that it was on the move.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:5895657/imo:9797371

Currently it appears, as the graph indicates by its changing speed and direction that it must be under full trials which has just started today. I have been watching it for the last five hours changing direction and speed. I have noticed that the maximum speed of 17.7 knots has been reached, which is in excess of its rated speed of 17 knots, a must for it to pass as is its ability to stop and turn within certain parameters.

Since we are booked to join it on the 15 August I can feel a little more confident that it will make it, as well hopefully it'll have most of the normal new bugs sorted out before that date.

Ah, thanks for the link. Very interesting to look at!

Curious, since you're booked on the new maiden, have you been able to select your shore excursions on the Trip Personalizer yet? Mine still haven't been loaded in yet, although my sailing is in October. 

17 hours ago, towel-animal said:

Curious, since you're booked on the new maiden, have you been able to select your shore excursions on the Trip Personalizer yet? Mine still haven't been loaded in yet, although my sailing is in October. 

Scenic are very different to other expedition cruise Company's and force you to complete all personal details and your Doctor has to fill in an on-line medical questionnaire. Until that is all done you cannot view any tour options or anything else on the site. The medical can only be done between 90 & 60 days out, which is very limiting and pretty ordinary in my opinion. As has been proved so many times Scenic are not that interested in keeping passenger on side.

3 hours ago, Carol From California said:

It certainly looks impressive.

It has now completed its sea trials and is back in port. Its been very interesting to watch all it's manoeuvring at sea using the live animation.

Hopefully they will now have plenty of time  to make sure everything operates correctly. Not like one time we did a cruise just after a refit and hot water came out of the cold water taps in a number of the suites, including ours!!!!!!

We're currently on a Scenic river cruise (fabulous, by the way!), and we got word today from the cruise director that it's official -- Scenic Eclipse is launching in August! Anyone else going to Antarctica in late December on the Eclipse? Looks like we're really going! 🙂

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, goorawin said:

The lastest Scenic updated video with the Eclipse at sea.

https://www.scenic.com.au/eclipse/diary

I've been checking for news and videos daily and missed seeing this one on Scenic's website! Thank you for sharing the link! This is very exciting! I am confident that the Eclipse will be everything it has been described to be and more! Now we have to wait a year+ for our Arctic cruise in 2020....which is now SOLD-OUT on the website! 💗🤞🙏😁🥂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 10:40 PM, towel-animal said:

We have been able to reserve our excursions for the September 10, 1019 sailing.  They have been up for two or more weeks.

• Like 1