Cruise gift for 6 year old

cmukid87

Funship Freddy isnt available on the ships any longer. :(

I order gifts to be in the room when we board the ship for my kids. My 6 yr old got the Candy Dog with gummy funnels candy from the fun shops. He LOVES that stuffed dog. We also did build a bear thing with Camp Ocean but it was the last sea day of our cruise.

https://www.carnival.com/FunShops/item/ZJB/cherry-on-top-candy-puppy-with-gummy-funnels

ETA: the cherry on top dog+ candy is $20.00 but the build a bear thing was $44.00 that was for 1 animal and 2 sets of clothes. :(

Edited by DobberDog

What we did last year for Christmas was use their carry on suitcase (if she doesn't have one buy her a new one). We filled it with cruise stuff. Life savers were sprinkled all over. I agree with a camera as well. Next year I'm taking my four grand kids to Alaska. Each one is getting a camera. The kids will be 6, 8, 9 and 12. Oldest is getting a camcorder. All the others are getting a cheap, and I use that work with a :) on my face, camera that will take still and video. I figure that everyone has a different take on what they see and what they like. It would be unfair to not let the 6 YO enjoy that part of the cruise.

We also put in a teddy bear mascot, a car magnet with a great picture of them on it. They used them on the ship to show who was sleeping in the top bunk. Every night the magnets were switched. There was a binder with a picture of the ship and what we were doing in each port. I don't remember what else. Oh, face mask for swimming and new flip flops. Then we wrapped the suitcase up and let them figure it out on their own.

Forget the walkie talkies. They don't work well and someone that age is not going to be noticeable of their surroundings to be polite and not spend their time yelling into them. Loud cell phone users in public is annoying but kids using walkie talkies - I don't think so.

The look on their faces when they realized they were going on a cruise was priceless.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I like the idea of a cheap digital camera but add a small stuffed animal or figure that they can take pictures of around the ship. Then when they get home they can make a slide show or scrap book (with help) and narrate or caption it - like "here's 'stuffy' with the Head Waiter at our table" - or " 'stuffy' enjoyed sitting in the sun by the pool." At that age it will be a big help to remember the cruise when they are older.

I like the idea of a cheap digital camera but add a small stuffed animal or figure that they can take pictures of around the ship. Then when they get home they can make a slide show or scrap book (with help) and narrate or caption it - like "here's 'stuffy' with the Head Waiter at our table" - or " 'stuffy' enjoyed sitting in the sun by the pool." At that age it will be a big help to remember the cruise when they are older.

Yes! That's the suggestion I was waiting for! We got them the junky disposable cameras for our last cruise and they got ruined and we couldn't develop them. I think this is a good idea!

What a great idea! You cold also get her a small backpack to carry her buddy and camera everywhere. Awwwww...I wish my kids were still little. I would totally steal that idea....:D

Please do not get the children or big ' kids' walkie talkies. All the steel ongthe steelwhip makes s them just about userless.. Kids will screaam into them and annoy everyone nearby with the staticn and yelling. and noise.

Edited by sail7seas

Please do not get the children or big ' kids' walkie talkies. All the steel ongthe steelwhip makes s them just about userless.. Kids will screaam into them and annoy everyone nearby with the staticn and yelling. and noise.

I agree with the many who have said to forget about walkie talkies. Besides the fact that they don't work well on ships, I would think kids wouldn't want to lug something like that around...and the only people they could talk with is you (assuming you both get a signal). with a digital camera, as long as they don't lose it, the kids can feel proud when the photos are uploaded. You can get inexpensive ones if you don't get one with a flash or one that doesn't have the bells and whistles. Make sure to help them out by making the first photo one with info about returning it if lost (with their name, please drop off at the front desk if found on the ship, your email address if found off the ship, etc.).

they make "kid special" digital cameras ..... simple and some are shock resistant

examples: http://www.toysrus.com/products/kids-digital-cameras.jsp

if the camera thing does not sound good (but I think OP already said it did) consider inexpensive (or kid special) binoculars ..... they can watch for whales ...... {and no one has to help transfer and edit pictures ....}

Edited by Capt_BJ