Bag search leaving ship at a port stop?

Blackfish123

Tl;Dr: Is it normal practice for RCI security staff to check passenger bags when LEAVING the ship at a port stop? Sorry for the length of this post, but I need to get it off my chest.

We were on Brilliance of the Seas on the 18th September (the day of our 40th wedding anniversary and the reason we were on the cruise in the first place) when a security guard stopped my husband as we left the ship at Ravenna. He held his hand in front of us and rudely demanded to know what was in the backpack that we had strapped onto a small portable trolley – my husband has high blood pressure and it’s easier to wheel a bag than carry it.

My very mild-mannered DH was taken aback at the guard’s confrontational attitude but informed him politely that it was various items for the beach. The guard then insisted that he open the bag there and then and, with no facilities or checking table available, my husband had to go down on his hands and knees on the floor in front of him to open it while the guard stood over him. The check was cursory and involved moving our items from one side to another.

We were outside the ship, a bit shell-shocked really, before I realised how upset and humiliated my husband felt - not to mention how pointless the check actually was and how our experience was so unlike the normal courtesy we had previously received from RCI staff. I spoke with another guard just beyond ship security and he called a supervisor out to speak to us. We told her how unhappy we were with our experience, especially as it was our 40th wedding anniversary and we wanted to know why we’d been picked upon.

This is when the whole thing became farcical and our sense of anger and humiliation deepened. The supervisor explained that sometimes people leave the ship and don’t come back and when the guard spotted our bag, he thought that this might be the case with us! We rejected this allegation – we are EU citizens and don’t need to skip out of an expensive cruise half way through carrying (at most) 1kg of baggage while the rest of our clothes and valuables were back in our cabin.

My husband explained how upset he was and that he’d been made to feel like a crook down on his hands and knees on the floor. We told her that we’d wheeled the same bag out of every other previous port unchecked and that we’d seen many other larger bags similarly going past. In our experience, bags were never checked on the way out of the ship. The supervisor said to leave it with her and she would handle it.

Returning to the ship from the beach later that day, we were stopped again at security as our sea pass cards were obviously flagged up. We were made to wait at one side of the gangway (criminalized once again) as everyone else sidestepped past us, no doubt wondering what we’d done to warrant being ‘held’ until 3 other security staff turned up. At this point, we were offered a half-hearted apology by the guard who’d initiated the check on the way out - for the manner in which it had taken place only, not the check itself. The security manager then stepped in to further justify the necessity for the security check, but this time we were offered a different (even more absurd) explanation.

Unbelievably (Explanation Number 2) he suggested that people might be smuggling alcohol, drugs or cigarettes out of the ship and that he was responsible to Customs & Excise for ensuring this did not occur, hence the necessity for checks, which he claimed happened quite frequently! Again, I refuted this – we’ve NEVER seen anyone else checked on the way out at port, even with very large bags. I asked him what possible reason anyone would want to smuggle alcohol out of the ship when it was 10 times cheaper on land.

I also reminded him that we could not possibly take off the ship what we hadn’t already taken on board past their own rigorous security on the way in. He had no answer for me, just kept repeating that security demanded these checks. I told him that we were not happy with the incident, his explanation or the way it was handled by him or the guard and that we wanted it followed up.

Two days passed and we heard nothing further so we went to Guest Services only to find that there was no record of the incident having happened at all. The representative there took the details from us and we asked her to initiate a formal complaint. She seemed surprised by the alcohol explanation and we had to clarify once again that we’d been stopped LEAVING the ship. She said she’d get back to us after referring it to the head of security.

The next day, we received a voicemail from the GS representative hoping that we were satisfied, as she understood that we’d since spoken to the head of security and that all was well. This was news to us, as we hadn’t heard anything from anyone else since we’d spoken to her. A series of calls and voicemails then ensued between her, the Guest Services Manager and us.

The GSM finally informed us that (Explanation Number 3) the guard was actually searching to see if we were taking food off the ship. I told him that the guard didn’t open the coolbag inside our backback (used for water and food we buy at ports and NOT taken from the ship) didn’t check inside my large handbag, nor did he open any of the zipped pockets on the outside of the backpack. If he was looking for food - or anything else - riffling through our towelling robes, swimsuits or pushing the sunscreen and bug spray from side to side wasn’t going to locate it!

The GSM then offered to set up another meeting with security staff to explain to us again why we were stopped but we refused as enough of our holiday had been taken up with this incident. I asked for a written reply to the effect that our formal complaint had been recorded – he refused this, saying that they didn’t reply to anything in writing!

While this experience didn’t ruin our much planned cruise, it DID put a distinct taint on our respect for RCI. While this is neither the place nor the time to elaborate further, we watched many of RCI’s so-called rules flagrantly broken throughout our cruise, while staff walked past, studiously avoiding noticing them or tackling the offenders. I subsequently asked many of our dinner and lunch companions on the last few days and none had ever experienced a check on the way out of a ship – and certainly not one anywhere that involved getting down on the floor on hands and knees to open a bag.

I really want to follow this up in the right manner and appreciate any advice – maybe we’re just too sensitive but my husband still feels upset and humiliated. This is more especially so because of the succession of contradictory excuses given for the incident - none of which hold any water in our opinion - and the very poor way it was handled by RCI.

It sounds like you are very upset and took a check personally. It may very well have been a bag check that was not done in a friendly, professional manner but it is in their duty to randomly check bags. Whether or not it is your anniversary makes no difference under this circumstance.

I wouldn't worry too much about what other's think passing you as they reboard the ship. The vast majority of people are going about their lives with no care about why others are waiting for security.

As annoying as it is, when we take planes or cruise ships we have to understand that random checks will take place. They SHOULD be done in a respectful manner, thought sometimes aren't but it is not personal. For what ever reason in this particular circumstance your husband trolley attracted attention. That specific security personal may have had some past experience that makes a trolley with luggage/bag a red flag.

What comes to mind to me is the recent find of a 30 million dollars in drugs on a cruise ship. That had to weigh a lot. They got it on the ship somehow, somewhere. A trolley for a heavy bag would help get it on and off the ship. They got it on the ship, even the best of screening can miss such things so random checks take place.

All I can offer is to realize it was not personal, no one else thinks badly of you because you were searched. They should have done it in a better manner, but it was likely jus ta random check that caught you off guard. I would think that while you have not seen many of these checks they do take place. With thousands of people coming on and off the ship you only see a small percent of what takes place.

It sounds like you are very upset and took a check personally. It may very well have been a bag check that was not done in a friendly, professional manner but it is in their duty to randomly check bags. Whether or not it is your anniversary makes no difference under this circumstance.

I wouldn't worry too much about what other's think passing you as they reboard the ship. The vast majority of people are going about their lives with no care about why others are waiting for security.

As annoying as it is, when we take planes or cruise ships we have to understand that random checks will take place. They SHOULD be done in a respectful manner, thought sometimes aren't but it is not personal. For what ever reason in this particular circumstance your husband trolley attracted attention. That specific security personal may have had some past experience that makes a trolley with luggage/bag a red flag.

What comes to mind to me is the recent find of a 30 million dollars in drugs on a cruise ship. That had to weigh a lot. They got it on the ship somehow, somewhere. A trolley for a heavy bag would help get it on and off the ship. They got it on the ship, even the best of screening can miss such things so random checks take place.

All I can offer is to realize it was not personal, no one else thinks badly of you because you were searched. They should have done it in a better manner, but it was likely jus ta random check that caught you off guard. I would think that while you have not seen many of these checks they do take place. With thousands of people coming on and off the ship you only see a small percent of what takes place.

We understand that security is necessary, certainly returning on board. Our bag on a trolley was small, weighed less than a Kg and the first incident happened as we left the ship, not on the way back on board. The search was extremely cursory and wouldn't have uncovered anything, ignoring as it did the other bags inside and the outside pockets. It was a pointless exercise.

The whole incident was handled very poorly by RCI staff and compounded on the way back by pulling us aside again to offer a half-baked apology. What we don't understand is the 3 different 'explanations' given to us. They were clearly scrabbling to cover their a$$es.

If 'random' checks need to be carried out on the way out of a ship, a protocol needs to be put in place for searching bags properly or else the same procedure as in embarking needs to take place.

Sorry, but I agree with the other posters. Random bag checks are done. They are looking for food items that are not allowed into any country.

Your whole post is about how you felt. Small aggravations are always part of traveling. Sounds to me like you should let this go.

We understand that security is necessary, certainly returning on board. Our bag on a trolley was small, weighed less than a Kg and the first incident happened as we left the ship, not on the way back on board. The search was extremely cursory and wouldn't have uncovered anything, ignoring as it did the other bags inside and the outside pockets. It was a pointless exercise.

The whole incident was handled very poorly by RCI staff and compounded on the way back by pulling us aside again to offer a half-baked apology. What we don't understand is the 3 different 'explanations' given to us. They were clearly scrabbling to cover their a$$es.

If 'random' checks need to be carried out on the way out of a ship, a protocol needs to be put in place for searching bags properly or else the same procedure as in embarking needs to take place.

Random checks are never thorough and the people that do such jobs are just doing what they are told to do. Their answers are random when questioned because they are just people doing their job. Their answers would likely never be the same. The more people you ask the more answers you get. They chose you. They peeked in your bag. Off you went. They chose some other random person before you and some random person after you.

It doesn't matter if you are going on or off the ship. Drug smuggling is about moving things from point A to point B. Just as many people are smuggling things onto islands as they are off islands. It is their job to make sure bags going on and off the ship are not carrying illegal items.

Sorry, but I agree with the other posters. Random bag checks are done. They are looking for food items that are not allowed into any country.

Your whole post is about how you felt. Small aggravations are always part of traveling. Sounds to me like you should let this go.

They decided they were looking for food at explanation number 3, but they didn't open our cool bag or check my handbag. Where did they imagine that food might be? And why offer us the first explanation that we were skipping the ship and not coming back? Or the second one that we might be smuggling out alcohol?

I have 'moved on' as you put it, but I still have a lot less respect for RCI and their systems since - it doesn't excuse the way they handled it, making a pensioner get down on his hands and knees to open a bag.

We also observed many other larger bags on wheels leaving the ship at ports, none of which were checked. Prior to the incident at Ravenna, we wheeled the same bag on and off at every port. People generally like to have some kind of rationale or consistency, never mind a little common courtesy.

Australia have dogs sniffing for food items when you arrive in port. etc. They are Very Strict!!!

Been searched many times going or coming in port. Part of traveling.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I need to get it off my chest... We told her how unhappy we were with our experience, especially as it was our 40th wedding anniversary and we wanted to know why we’d been picked upon....This is when the whole thing became farcical and our sense of anger and humiliation deepened.... The representative there took the details from us and we asked her to initiate a formal complaint. .... While this experience didn’t ruin our much planned cruise, it DID put a distinct taint on our respect for RCI.... I really want to follow this up in the right manner and appreciate any advice – maybe we’re just too sensitive but my husband still feels upset and humiliated.

Well, first of all I am sorry you felt humiliated and upset. No one wants that on vacation. Having said that, I isolated a few of your comments and maybe you can see the pattern here.

You felt upset and singled out. It really matters not that it was your special anniversary cruise or not - you were selected for a random check and you didn't like it. You say it didn't ruin your cruise but this lengthy post and your desire to escalate this says otherwise.

What if this had happened in an airport - would you be as upset? Would you have lodged a formal complaint?

Sadly the state of the world today often dictates what security measures are taken. I'm so sorry that this tainted your cruise but I really feel you should let this go. I know you will be telling people about this - - people who can do nothing about it. I'm not standing up for RCI here, but I am asking that you remove the personal insult and attack you felt from this situation. Maybe then, you can let it go.

Happy Anniversary. :) Forty years married is definitely worth celebrating.

They decided they were looking for food at explanation number 3, but they didn't open our cool bag or check my handbag. Where did they imagine that food might be? And why offer us the first explanation that we were skipping the ship and not coming back? Or the second one that we might be smuggling out alcohol?

I have 'moved on' as you put it, but I still have a lot less respect for RCI and their systems since - it doesn't excuse the way they handled it, making a pensioner get down on his hands and knees to open a bag.

We also observed many other larger bags on wheels leaving the ship at ports, none of which were checked. Prior to the incident at Ravenna, we wheeled the same bag on and off at every port. People generally like to have some kind of rationale or consistency, never mind a little common courtesy.

Don't get me wrong me I totally understand.

I remember a random bag check boarding a plane in Barcelona. The guy picked me out of a line and proceeded to rifle through my underwear while everyone was walking by 2 feet away. The couples we were traveling with all thought this was hilarious. I felt like a humiliated criminal.

Now, it's an amusing story. The joke was on him. It was all dirty, smelly clothes!

I'm not sure what you are looking for? It took me around 30 minutes, but I finally realized, travel is not perfect.

Sad to say but you can formal complain all you want. The truth is cruise lines don't give a damn anymore. We were on a cruise where the head waiter actually called my wife and I FAT in front of everyone in the buffet line (for the record, I am 6'2" and 240). The woman behind us commented "If he thinks you guys are fat what does he think about me??". We complained onboard and the head of the dining staff PROMISED he would bring the waiter to our table himself to apologize (which is all we wanted). The next day, he told everyone the incident was closed - even though we never saw him or the head waiter at our table. We sent a letter to the main office and received a letter that basically said "Gee, that's too bad". To make matters worse we were at the "most cruised" dinner and were stock holders so this was NOT our first rodeo.

I am sure most everyone of us these boards have been subject to a security bag check when getting of the ship at one time or another.

I use a wheel chair and was just frisked and bag searched in England last month.

It is just part of traveling these days. All 3 stories are possible. Why does it matter so much which story is the "right" story? The cruise line pays people to search our bags , It was your turn. As others have said, time to move on and recall all the GOOD memories you made on your cruise.

I am truly sorry this happened to you. It sounds like you are about the same age as we are. This happens to my husband every single time we fly. Every single airport. He is always pulled out of line and the interrogation begins. We actually expect it and laugh about it. :)

I feel bad for you that this upset both of you so much and I understand that it can make you feel like a criminal. For some reason, my husband and I tend to get searched a lot, to the point that we joke that we must look like drug dealers.:D

But I do think you are taking this way to personal. Unfortunately, in today's world, this is something we have to deal with. I would rather security err on the side of too much searching than not enough. And most security personnel are not warm and fuzzy, the guy you describe sounds really friendly compared to the German agents who stopped us in the Frankfort airport to go through my purse. :D

We have learned to laugh about it, but a word of advice learned from personal experience: never try to joke with them while they are searching through your stuff. They have no sense of humor!

Sherri:)

Edited by sjb317

I am sorry you feel this way about the check. As others have said, this kind of stuff happens all the time. I also agree with another poster who said all 3 explanations sound reasonable. They often check for taking food on or off along with alcohol. I could see checking to see if you are skipping off the ship, just because you're an EU citizen doesn't mean you should assume that other EU citizens don't skip out. It's a very different world now and we all need to realize the security checks are a part of it. Although the person who did the check shouldn't have been rude or aggressive about it, however, some people just have that way about them.

Random is just that. Random. And the reaction of the searchee can actually lead to further detainment, something I observed at the Barcelona airport. Persons did not want to be body searched in a private room and pitched a ranting fit. They missed their flight!!! Don't know what happened to them. Kill 'em with kindness.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sbrayr

Your writing is really very melodramatic!

Security checks happen for what ever reason and they are good in these times for whatever they can prevent.

Security did absolutely nothing wrong in checking you out. You were randomly picked or something triggered it. Not personal against you and really not a big deal. You are not going to get anything out of complaining to Royal about it and you certainly do not deserve an iota of apology from them because they were doing their job.

If RCI was conducting "random searches" of bags as passengers debarked the ship, they should have had a portable tent and tables set up to do it properly.

I agree with the OP that it was inappropriate to be forced to open and display their bag on the ground (deck of the pier) which was most likely less than clean and wholesome.

If this had happened to me I would have said. "Lets find a nice clean table so you can search our bag easier. I am not going to kneel down on this filthy pier and unpack my bag!"

They did not ask you or force you to go down on your hands and knees, so quit the drama please and stop taking this personally.

Edited by Arzeena

Random is just that. Random. And the reaction of the searchee can actually lead to further detainment, something I observed at the Barcelona airport. Persons did not want to be body searched in a private room and pitched a ranting fit. They missed their flight!!! Don't know what happened to them. Kill 'em with kindness.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Excellent advice! At the Tel Aviv airport, it's more psychological screening, and then if anything is amiss, it proceeds to more intensive screening of bags, etc. While I was standing in line at the ticket counter, a female Israeli soldier approached me and asked to see my passport. She then asked if I was Jewish. I told her I was and she then asked if I could speak Hebrew; I told her I did not. She then said, "You are Jewish and you can't speak Hebrew!" I replied, " It's a shame I can't". With that, she handed my passport back to me. If I had gotten all upset with her, I'm sure I would have been escorted to a private room, such as you mentioned.