Royal princess Dry dock- New livery?

princessfanboy

At first glance it almost looks like a shark or a whale with its mouth open. Will it be on both starboard and port?

Yes, it is on both starboard and port.

I always saw the Sea Witch, until you pointed out another interpretation. Wow!

I was surprised by the relatively shallow draft of the Royal Princess. How does she stay upright?!!

:confused:

It's all relative. She has a draft of about 28 feet. That's about standard for a ship of her size. The center of gravity is very low.

To compare and contrast, Queen Mary 2, a real ocean liner, has a draft of 33 feet.

I was surprised by the relatively shallow draft of the Royal Princess. How does she stay upright?!!

Through a combination of center of gravity and "lever height" of the ship, known as GM, or ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metacentric_height

You don't want the center of gravity to be too low, nor too high. Some ships that are very top heavy have to have the upper decks/areas made of aluminum. You are looking for the metacentric height (GM) to be tall enough to pop the ship back upright, but not enough to topple it over, and not too low as to make it want to flounder and not spring back upright. In other words, counter-intuitively, you need enough mass up high to get a good lever. This can be controlled by ballast as fuel depletes, etc.

Hi!

Looking at pictures posted on Facebook group "Fincantieri Palermo", the last one posted over there looks like the royal is getting the new livery on this dry dock.

Why doesn't Princess have a figurehead on the bow, like the Viking Ships of Old. Now that you be classy.

The Royal class ships are very stable. As I remember, during the Royal's sea trials there was a series of tight turns to test her stability. The allowable amount of list for the trial was 18% and I believe that the Royal listed less than 6%.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Royal class ships are very stable. As I remember, during the Royal's sea trials there was a series of tight turns to test her stability. The allowable amount of list for the trial was 18% and I believe that the Royal listed less than 6%.

A flashback to the 'Everything' thread and her April 30, 2013 sea trials...the numbers are speed in knots:

8696544211_8cacaf4d10_z.jpg

:cool:

We've sailed TAs on the Royal (w/b from the Med) and Regal (e/b to the Baltics) and it was so smooth that passengers commented that it felt like we were at the pier. It was the same thing on the Royal from NYC to FLL (via the Caribbean) although obviously weather & sea conditions are the primary factor, these ships sailed smoother than other ships we've sailed in the same conditions.

Crown is scheduled for Drydock April 2017 and was in late 2015. Heard they need to change beds. We were on diamond 3 wk after drydock in 2010 and they had all new mattresses and were still working while underway. They finished varnishing all the hand rails. I always wondered if it got overlooked or was easier after all else wsa done.

Crown is scheduled for Drydock April 2017 and was in late 2015. Heard they need to change beds. We were on diamond 3 wk after drydock in 2010 and they had all new mattresses and were still working while underway. They finished varnishing all the hand rails. I always wondered if it got overlooked or was easier after all else wsa done.

The varnishing of the hand rails seems to be an on going thing on all the ships. They're constantly sanding them down & applying another coat. The sun really does a job on them.

There will be no dry dock in April of 2017. That is the date when Club Class is being rolled out on the Crown and the only change is the category for those mini-suites. A drydock is not needed to change beds. That can be done any time although the Club Class cabins will have the new Princess Luxury beds at that time. The rest of the cabins are not scheduled to get the new beds until the next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

Picture by Chef Jp Ramos‎

"During the drydock at Fincantieri shipyard in Palermo, Italy, RoyalPrincess becomes the first member in the current Princess Cruises' fleet to receive the hull art which shows the company's giant Seawitch logo!"

I know some don't like it but I do, I think it looks great...

14595651_1111181165632037_592047197569171897_n.jpg?oh=5f5a5ae5309e12694fa0eaa663af0b83&oe=585FD6B1

Picture by Chef Jp Ramos‎

"During the drydock at Fincantieri shipyard in Palermo, Italy, RoyalPrincess becomes the first member in the current Princess Cruises' fleet to receive the hull art which shows the company's giant Seawitch logo!"

Lou, Grand is dry dock in SF in December, will she also get the hull art?

14573039_10210378501756616_4192381871949517223_n.jpg

14600901_10210378386513735_5151452368350126537_n.jpg

Photo: Fincantieri FB Palermo