Internet Packages

MoniMommy

I see the NCL internet packages here.

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/internet-packages

There is one for $30 a day. My question is can you buy it for just one day or do you have to get the package for the entire length of the voyage. The description on the website doesn't make it clear. Perhaps someone who has traveled knows if you can buy the unlimited package for just 1 or 2 days.

Moni, I am currently on the Jewel making my way to LA.

I can tell you I have complimentary internet on this sailing.

Internet though is painfully slow, more akin to a 14.4k modem

from the 1980s!

You'd be better off using internet services in the ports of call

if it is something you can live with.

This morning I uploaded a few pics to CruiseCritic...it took

the better part of 5 minutes to upload each pic and I can recall

at least 6 attempts that it timed out while uploading.

Edited by steership

Moni, I am currently on the Jewel making my way to LA.

I can tell you I have complimentary internet on this sailing.

Internet though is painfully slow, more akin to a 14.4k modem

from the 1980s!

You'd be better off using internet services in the ports of calls

if it is something you can live with.

This morning I uploaded a few pics to CruiseCritic...it took

the better part of 5 minutes to upload each pic and I can recall

at least 6 attempts that it timed out while uploading.

Thanks for the info. Are you using the free at sea package? I would be using the unlimited Internet package. Perhaps its faster. I work from home but can only take two days off in a row. So I want to work Wed and the the other days in the week off. I don't want o buy the Internet package for the entire trip when I will only use it for one day.

Thanks for the info. Are you using the free at sea package? I would be using the unlimited Internet package. Perhaps its faster. I work from home but can only take two days off in a row. So I want to work Wed and the the other days in the week off. I don't want o buy the Internet package for the entire trip when I will only use it for one day.

Even though mine is complimentary, I am NOT using the "free at sea" perk and will just leave it at that.

What I do find helps is to compose messages/emails/ reports etc...

offline....say in Word or whatever program you use. Then log on the

internet and use copy, cut & paste techniques. It does make it go

faster plus you can spell check everything before you upload.

There is one for $30 a day. My question is can you buy it for just one day or do you have to get the package for the entire length of the voyage. The description on the website doesn't make it clear. Perhaps someone who has traveled knows if you can buy the unlimited package for just 1 or 2 days.

You have to buy it for the length of your cruise. It's shared satellite internet. Won't be able to stream HD TV, but it is good for basic mail, chat, FaceTime voice, Skype, voice. We have sailed on both the Jewel and Dawn in the past 2 months and both had good service.

Edited by BirdTravels

Even though mine is complimentary, I am NOT using the "free at sea" perk and will just leave it at that.

What I do find helps is to compose messages/emails/ reports etc...

offline....say in Word or whatever program you use. Then log on the

internet and use copy, cut & paste techniques. It does make it go

faster plus you can spell check everything before you upload.

Thanks again and enjoy the cruise. If you do happen to discover if the unlimited Internet package can be purchased for one day or whether is has to be purchased for the entire voyage, please let me know. Again, enjoy your trip!

Thanks again and enjoy the cruise. If you do happen to discover if the unlimited Internet package can be purchased for one day or whether is has to be purchased for the entire voyage, please let me know. Again, enjoy your trip!

No worries and I think BirdTravels answered your question now.

We generally use the Internet at the ports of call:-

1) Ask the crew where it is FREE!! They know!!!

2) See if there is free WiFi at the port; the embark/debark ports often are well set up.

3) Find the nearest town/city Information Office; they often have free WiFi.

4) Find the local town/city library; similar.

5) Find Starbucks, Hortons or similar coffee shop.

Just be prepared for slowness if you arrive with 100+ other passengers!!

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/internet-packages

You cannot buy a one day plan. You can buy the smallest plan. You can also pay more by the minute. Always better to buy a plan.

When and how do you book the unlimited. (We booked shore excursions before 90 days, picked Free at Sea promotions before 90 days, will book Broadway style shows and specialty dining at 90 days, will book other shows day of boarding asap. When does buying an internet package fit in. One in our party wants the unlimited for $30 per day. And I'm assuming that can be purchased per person.

When and how do you book the unlimited. (We booked shore excursions before 90 days, picked Free at Sea promotions before 90 days, will book Broadway style shows and specialty dining at 90 days, will book other shows day of boarding asap. When does buying an internet package fit in. One in our party wants the unlimited for $30 per day. And I'm assuming that can be purchased per person.

The internet packages were available for us at 60 days out (MyNCL > Explore and Plan > Internet Packages). You save the $3.95 activation fee by booking in advance.

Edited by TheDougOut

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am hoping someone can answer this for me. Because of health issues of family members at home we will need unlimited internet access. I don't want to waste our time in port doing internet or looking for one.

So, with that being said. Are we better off purchasing it before boarding or do they run a special on board the first day for the unlimited. Does anyone happen to know?

Thank you in advance.

Hello, I am hoping someone can answer this for me. Because of health issues of family members at home we will need unlimited internet access. I don't want to waste our time in port doing internet or looking for one.

So, with that being said. Are we better off purchasing it before boarding or do they run a special on board the first day for the unlimited. Does anyone happen to know?

Thank you in advance.

For the unlimited package (which we always get), it does not matter. For the small packages, you save the activation fee by ordering online before the cruise. The unlimited package always has the activation fee waived.

Edited by BirdTravels

If you can do without internet for the first day, people have reported that you can sign up for unlimited after 12 noon on Day 2 and you don't pay for Day 1. Hopefully the activation fee continues to be waived.

That was true for our April 2015 cruise but wasn't available on our April 2016 cruise.

FYI - - -

For those having airline tickets you can check in in advance

24 hours with some airlines and print your boarding passes.

For the airlines with the cell phone APT it is better to use that method than

futz with the NCL ancient dial up speed although NCL does provide a printer

for the paper boarding passes price is $0.50 a page or pass.

One less thing to worry about leaving the ship and getting to the airport.

Sorry NCL can't get you thru TSA any faster - it seems that those folks

operate on the same ancient dial up speed too.

Best over all to wait till you are in a port with Free Wi-Fi and use it for all

it is worth - NCLs does not have much bang for the buck.

You can burn through NCLs free or paid time quite quickly and remember

to LOG OFF otherwise your remaining time will be PUFFT - gone in a flash !

• 2 weeks later...
If you can do without internet for the first day, people have reported that you can sign up for unlimited after 12 noon on Day 2 and you don't pay for Day 1. Hopefully the activation fee continues to be waived.
As an update to this, we are currently on the Jade 14-day TA. You can sign up for the unlimited package anytime during the first 5 days of the cruise, and you only pay for the remaining days of the cruise. Also, we get the reduced rate of $24.99/day (because the cruise is so long), even if you actually pay for fewer days. :)

The day starts at midnight.

All the sales materials continue to say that you have to purchase this package for the entire length of the cruise, but the reality is different.

If you purchase the unlimited package, can multiple users be signed on to that account at once? For example, could my laptop and my husband's cell phone both be using the unlimited package at the same time?

Unlimited means data amount -not users/devices.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Yes, I understand that, but will it actually allow more than one person at a time to be signed on with the login information you receive when you purchase it?

Again, NOT devices!

One device at a time per logon. If you try to logon to a particular account on one device while another device is already logged on to that account, it will be rejected.

If you purchase the unlimited package, can multiple users be signed on to that account at once? For example, could my laptop and my husband's cell phone both be using the unlimited package at the same time?

No. only one user can be logged on at a time.

We have found that the ability to steal the connection is hit-n-miss. Sometimes it tells you that the connection is in use and give you the option of blowing way the existing connection so you can log on. Sometimes it only tells you that the connection is in use.

Again, NOT devices!

One device at a time per logon. If you try to logon to a particular account on one device while another device is already logged on to that account, it will be rejected.

Yes, that's exactly what I was asking.

... will it actually allow more than one person at a time to be signed on with the login information you receive when you purchase it?

You can register & activate multiple devices (based on :MAC addresses & unique account log-in) to use the ship's WiFi internet - but, the system will only one device to be active and online at any given time. If you attempt to use or enable another device without logging off the first device, it will not work or otherwise drop or "timed out" the other device. The usage meter will continue to monitor & run, thus, always log off or your data would quickly run out if it is a time/MB data-based "limited" plan.

Since this is all over shared, satellite-based broadband connection - idle connections ... even those on idle and "unlimited" plan would be disconnected automatically when detected by the onboard servers, as a matter of fair use among all users.

You can register & activate multiple devices (based on :MAC addresses & unique account log-in) to use the ship's WiFi internet - but, the system will only one device to be active and online at any given time. If you attempt to use or enable another device without logging off the first device, it will not work or otherwise drop or "timed out" the other device. The usage meter will continue to monitor & run, thus, always log off or your data would quickly run out if it is a time/MB data-based "limited" plan.

Since this is all over shared, satellite-based broadband connection - idle connections ... even those on idle and "unlimited" plan would be disconnected automatically when detected by the onboard servers, as a matter of fair use among all users.

Great, thank you so much for the detailed explanation. That's exactly what I was trying to find out, and even whether it is worth getting it, or just trying to find free Wi-Fi in the ports.