Babies first cruise?!?

DisneyTech

I have a one year old and a four year old. I have no interest in cruising with my kids until they can go into the kids club. Therefore my older daughter is going on her first cruise next month on Celebrity.

You are an experienced cruiser. You know what you like. I took my then six month old to a week long Disney trip which people said would be awful and it was great.

If you accept the limitations... Relatively small room, no tub in many rooms, limited activities, no break from the baby... Then do it. Not worth it for me personally but it's up to you.

I get irritated at people who give children dirty looks unless something egregious is happening. Get over yourself. Go on a vacation that does not allow children (adults only hotel) if their mere presence appalls you.

I've cruised with my son at 14 months, 4, and coming up next week at 7. Honestly, the 14 month trip was not a vacation and we had Grandma with us to help out. He wanted to be on the go all the time and we didn't get any time to relax and enjoy. Dinner didn't work well as he didn't have the patience to sit long in the dining room, and if you eat in the buffet you basically take turns eating instead of being together.

Cruising with him at 4 was a lot more fun and more of a family vacation, and he remembers it. A baby won't remember anything, and you won't get your money's worth IMO.

I wouldn't switch to a different line- I'd just save that money for a few years and go when your child is old enough to enjoy the ship and facilities, and give you some down time as well.

I've cruised with my son at 14 months, 4, and coming up next week at 7. Honestly, the 14 month trip was not a vacation and we had Grandma with us to help out. He wanted to be on the go all the time and we didn't get any time to relax and enjoy. Dinner didn't work well as he didn't have the patience to sit long in the dining room, and if you eat in the buffet you basically take turns eating instead of being together.

Cruising with him at 4 was a lot more fun and more of a family vacation, and he remembers it. A baby won't remember anything, and you won't get your money's worth IMO.

I wouldn't switch to a different line- I'd just save that money for a few years and go when your child is old enough to enjoy the ship and facilities, and give you some down time as well.

The problem with waiting is most likely another baby will follow before this one gets to the magical age, then another, so it will be years before the youngest is "old enough".

The problem with waiting is most likely another baby will follow before this one gets to the magical age, then another, so it will be years before the youngest is "old enough".

Not all of us want three or four kids :) But if that's your priority, then that's your priority. I don't even want to imagine cruising with multiple small children!

Lots of people give things up for a few years while they raise children. I used to be an internationally renowned bridge player. I can't travel to tournaments all over the world now because I have a son to raise. That's life- bridge will be there when he is older. Cruises will still be there when parents have older kids or are empty nesters.

I mean, if someone wants to spend a lot of money not to really enjoy the trip, that's their decision; just go into it with eyes open and realize that it's not much of a vacation.

I'd recommend Disney or RCCL. We took our daughter in Oasis if the Seas when she was 9 months old. There was tons for us to do and many, many babies on board. Celebrity may be too stuffy and with an older crowd who are not tolerant of babies. Disney is excellent and RCCL is also great - lots of group activities with babies and a nice splash zone and wading pool. Both of these lines also have, for an added fee, a nursery - so you and your other half can have adult time. We loved travelling with our kids when they were babies and had some of our best times. They grow so fast!

Edited by JRos

A good suggestion.

Your experience will not be the same (I've done X Eclipse and MSC Splendida with DS), but you will be on a cruise.

If the child is smaller, there are definitely advantages to MSC.

Aside from the ones listed below, here are some we found:

1) Kids room is not only open at certain hours. They also have certain hours during which they take care of the baby...for free...

We didn't use this,but it is a possibility.

2) Swim diapers are tolerated. There were signs stating kids have to be potty trained, but there were kids in swim diapers in the indoor pool. We also took DS swimming.

For the critics: remember, this is not a USA based company. They do not need to follow all US rules. In Europe, the use of swim diapers is common in public pools.

Also the last comment...this cruise (7 days) cost less than half of what we paid for the Eclipse cruise...

But as I said, your experience will not be the same. MSC is more budget oriented.

I might suggest trying the MSC Divina.

1. Kids are Free. Just pay taxes and port charges.

2. The kids room is open for parents to use at certain hours with babies, and the outdoor play area is open for parents with babies to use 24 hours a day

3. Multiple character interactions scheduled throughout the day

4. Kids menu is not the standard chicken nugget/french fry type food, good chance to try new things.

5. Traditional dining times means traditional show times; song and dance shows each night are only 30-45 minutes, not "too much" for a baby

6. Child center and library both have sign out features for toys and books so you can take to use throughout the cruise.

7. MSC have a fantastic status match program, so if you have perks on Celebrity you'll get perks on MSC. Nice touch.

8. There was a family friendly movie shown on deck every evening.

9. Multiple kids programming channels on TV.

I have no doubt you could book a balcony on Divina for 3 for less $$ than an interior on Celebrity for 3. Just an option.

I will add my voice to the posters suggesting Disney. We love Celebrity and it has worked well for my son, but our first Celebrity cruise was when he was 10. Our Disney cruises were when he was 7 and 9, but I wish we had discovered them sooner! DCL is expensive, but worth it. The food quality and service is at or above what you get on Celebrity. Tons of kids focused stuff. The nursery will give you a chance to enjoy some excellent adult only venues. My son has never been a huge user of kids clubs, but just one or two adult meals is nice. The other way that we got a break/ vacation was to take turns. We were on a transatlantic with many sea days. My son and I found a computer game / lab place that was part of the kids space but open to families for an hour or two in the am. We got involved in building virtual schools and went back every morning to try to grow them. This gave my husband 90 mins or so of quite time at the adult pool. In the afternoon, my son and husband would have pool time, play ping pong, etc while I had a message, napped, or hit the adult pool. I remember coming home and thinking that it was really a perfect family vacation. We had couple time, family time, and one on one time with our child.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We have 2 children aged 4 years and 11 months. Our 4-year old went on her first cruise at 9months. We had our share of dirty looks when we brought her in for the nightly entertainment but she was so impeccably behaved that many around us remarked at the end of each night what a quiet baby she was. I do think it boils down to the individual child and you would know best as the parent how to adjust your vacation to still have a good time.

Our second child cruised for the first time in June as a 7-month old and we did not think it was very difficult; we actually like cruising as a family as opposed to a land tour as we only have to unpack/pack once since the ship is our floating hotel. We have three more cruises planned in the next 6 months on both RCCL and Celebrity and plan to have great fun on them.

Good luck!

We did cruise on Celebrity with a 9 months old 5 years ago and we had a great time! Crew was always so helpful, always helping us to get a high chair where ever we decided to eat-they don't get to see babies as much as on some of the other lines... Don't know if still true but at the time there was some dedicated time for parents and babies to play at the kid club and we were very impress by the number of toys available. Breastfeeding makes it even easier: no need to bring milk and if ever baby gets diarrhea you can breastfeed more frequently to keep him hydrated. Transportation is in my opinion the hardest step, it needs to be planned well. And obviously your choices of excursions will be more limited. But cruising with a baby is certainly not a worse experience than a staycation, taking care of cooking and cleaning and all the other stuff... On a cruise you spend all your time with your baby without any other preoccupation. If you feel that you need to get away with your family, go for it and enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

In 2001, my sisters & I took a cruise with Mom on Celebrity Century. We had 2 connecting cabins and my youngest sister had her 10 month old son with her. She did all the real work - but was lucky there were the 4 of us there to give her a slight break & assist w/ carrying the baby.

He was a great baby, but if he started fussing - one of us would take him for a walk. We enjoyed late seating for dining, the shows & much to my mothers delight - even won the trivia contest :) As this was 2001 there were very few babies on board. The crew would ooh & aah over the baby & ask if they could hold him. So many of them missed their own children.

A highlight of the trip was one morning when my nephew & I went for a walk together, to allow everyone else time to get ready for breakfast. We were off to the side of the lobby & there was so much available floor space; he was having a blast crawling around! A crew member asked if they could join us - it was the Captain. He crawled around & played with us. When he was holding my nephew - he had tears in his eyes & said he hadn't seen his son in 9 months. When it was time for us to meet everyone for breakfast - the Captain thanked us for our time together :)

My sister's family - the baby who is now sixteen, his older brothers & her husband all still enjoy cruising together. With one cruise a family tradition was born :)

Edited by Von & John

In 2001, my sisters & I took a cruise with Mom on Celebrity Century. We had 2 connecting cabins and my youngest sister had her 10 month old son with her. She did all the real work - but was lucky there were the 4 of us there to give her a slight break & assist w/ carrying the baby.

He was a great baby, but if he started fussing - one of us would take him for a walk. We enjoyed late seating for dining, the shows & much to my mothers delight - even won the trivia contest :) As this was 2001 there were very few babies on board. The crew would ooh & aah over the baby & ask if they could hold him. So many of them missed their own children.

A highlight of the trip was one morning when my nephew & I went for a walk together, to allow everyone else time to get ready for breakfast. We were off to the side of the lobby & there was so much available floor space; he was having a blast crawling around! A crew member asked if they could join us - it was the Captain. He crawled around & played with us. When he was holding my nephew - he had tears in his eyes & said he hadn't seen his son in 9 months. When it was time for us to meet everyone for breakfast - the Captain thanked us for our time together :)

My sister's family - the baby who is now sixteen, his older brothers & her husband all still enjoy cruising together. With one cruise a family tradition was born :)

We've never had issues at all with infants on board ANY ship. All parents we saw, always took crying infants outside as to not disturb other diners. Some pax have complained about rude parents who didn't give a damn if their child screamed through dinner. We never saw it, but I'm sure it's occurred, just like in some rest. on land, where yes, we have seen it happen.

Edited by keithm
punctuation

Hello All,

We are experienced cruisers and have been on Celebrity quite a few times. Our daughter was born in March and we are considering taking her on her first cruise. We are currently thinking about either the Reflection or the Silhouette on Dec. 3rd or 4th.

My question is this. Has anyone done a Celebrity Cruise with a young baby? Is there stuff to do? I know she is too young for the youth centers, but I'm wondering if there are any other activities that she would enjoy.

Any tips or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Travelled earlier this year for first time with a nearly 3 year old. However having been on Celebrity many times before, we didnt feel that this would as 'child friendly' as we needed so chose Carnival instead. They had play groups that the little one could go to for a few hours, they had a pool that he could go in with swim diapers on, and also if he wanted to run around, or was having a 'moment' (as kids do!) then there were many other kids doing exactly the same thing!

As we had suitcase each, plus baby changing things, stroller, plus 3 year old who was so excited to go on the ship we hired a porter to carry all the luggage - remember you will be carrying equivalent of extra persons case, plus stroller and baby too.

Its not easy - dining can be a challenge, we ended up eating in the buffet most times as the wait service got a little boring for a 3 year old. We had MIL with us, so two went for food, and then one with child went up. Again queueing at busy times for food with a little one who is tired or just doesnt understand what a queue is, is a challenge.

We took a blow up pool to use on the balcony. I would highly recommend at least a balcony with child, they have space to play safely whilst you sit with them. He had swim nappy on in the blow up pool, so no mess afterwards.

In summary, it can be done, its very hard work and you dont really get a vacation as such, but it is rewarding to see child enjoying themselves.

I would recommend though that you consider another cruise line with such a little one, Celebrity probably isnt the best for such a young child. I wouldnt really take on Celebrity until they were much older.

To those of you who brought or are bringing infants, how much of the cruise will they remember?

Or: How much will you remember...

My answer: We had some very memorable moments on the 2 cruises we took our son. We will treasure these moments for the rest of our lives, even if he remembers little to nothing...

It's not always about the babies memories, but also for your own memories. Don't forget that.

Edited by Byron_1978

It's not always about the babies memories, but also for your own memories. Don't forget that.

Well said. My DD doesn't remember the cruise at all, but I certainly do.

I will also add that the "awh, she's so cute" and approving nods for her dancing in the Grand Foyer FAR outweighed any nasty comments or "tsk-tsks"

All good points.

Or: How much will you remember...

My answer: We had some very memorable moments on the 2 cruises we took our son. We will treasure these moments for the rest of our lives, even if he remembers little to nothing...

• 4 months later...
I love it, all the baby haters. I say go for it, we are elite plus X cruisers and will be taking our 11 month old on their first cruise this November. It's your family vacation and make the most of it. Will it be different then your other cruises of course, will it be challenging at times for sure but make the most of it. We travelled with ours at three months on a 6 hour flight to Maui where we spent 21 days. The trip was different then our previous 8 holidays in Maui but it was amazing, getting to spend time with your family enjoying your child's many firsts added something even more memorable to our trip.

As for the numerous no baby's in pool comments, when a baby pees in the pool they have no idea what their doing. But let's not kid ourselves what excuse does do the adults have when they pee in the pool?

Enjoy your cruise as our family will enjoy ours.

First of all, I'm not a baby hater. We bring ear plugs for sleeping on every cruise just in case we are next door to a family with a colicky baby. Never had a problem. But I think you're missing the point of the "no diapers in the pool" policy. I think it's more about poopy diapers not being wanted in the pool. If a kid doesn't know not to pee, they also don't know not to poop, hence the pool becomes "poop soup." And that's just gross for everyone, including the baby.

We would never disrespect others relaxing cruisers, if our baby cries which she does sometimes as babies do, we will remove her from the venue until they are ready to go back.

We also pay money (including our babies portion) for our relaxing ocean sounds.

Enjoy your cruise and relax.

I don't have a single problem with people that carry their children/babies. I love seeing the young families with the babies. I'm a Grandmother that spent MANY wonderful days with my Grandson on our once a year family cruise. He was 3 on our first cruise, but we would have carried him earlier if we had the chance. He's now 23 and has been cruising every year since then. He's now a well-traveled 6' tall, well-traveled young man with great manners and it has taught him to respect people in the service industry and people of all ages, in part due to cruising. Have you thought of asking the grandparents if they would like to go on the cruise? Whether you go with your child alone or the grandparents go along, you should know that there are MANY like me that will not resent you or your child if we run into you on the cruise. In fact, we will be smiling, asking how old your child is and their name and fondly remembering our first cruise with a little one. Enjoy your cruise.

My friend who is a seasoned X cruiser (as are her parents, they cruise X all the time) just returned and they brought their 7 month old. They had 3 generations on board :) I think this is a great way for a family who loves Celebrity to bring generations together. Also, it was a 2 week sailing. They brought a cute little inflatable pool for the pool deck and kept it out of the way.

She had nothing but positives to say. When my husband and I have children, we plan to bring them on Celebrity as we feel we connect the best with X's "modern luxury" approach. Especially the Edge class, cannot wait!

Edited by CruisingGatorGirl

One comedian made a suggestion. Why not just take pictures and photoshop them into various vacation locations? When the baby or toddler gets older they will see the pictures and think that they were treated to good times with their loving parents. You can really save lots of money doing this!

One comedian made a suggestion. Why not just take pictures and photoshop them into various vacation locations? When the baby or toddler gets older they will see the pictures and think that they were treated to good times with their loving parents. You can really save lots of money doing this!

Now if only the curmudgeons did this as well and never left their homes, the rest of us could have a wonderful and memorable vacation. :D:D:D

Now if only the curmudgeons did this as well and never left their homes, the rest of us could have a wonderful and memorable vacation. :D:D:D

Think you're on to something. They show their photoshopped pictures and complain about the cruise they pretended to take.

To those of you who brought or are bringing infants, how much of the cruise will they remember?

We brought my (then) 16 month old niece on a cruise in January. It wasn't about how much she would remember. The cruise was for my grandmother's 90th birthday. My grandmother was thrilled to have her great-granddaughter on board celebrating with her. We often joked that the rest of us didn't need to go as my grandmother only wanted my niece. How many will ever be able to say they went on a FOUR generation cruise? Not many, I suppose.

So, in reality, I know she won't remember any of it. But, that doesn't matter. My grandmother will. My parents will. The child's parents will. I will. The picture of all of us will hang beautifully for a very long time.