Wifi Pricing on Board Celebrity Summit

knprasad

Hello Fellow Cruisers!

I'm sailing on CXC's Summit in a few weeks, and would like to know if booking online prior to the sailing via their website is worth the internet/data/wifi or not.

From the CXC website, the price of the week is $179 (but I don't know what that includes or entails).

I traveled with RCL this summer and their rate was $63.63 for one device for 7 days.

Edited by knprasad

Hello Fellow Cruisers!

I'm sailing on CXC's Summit in a few weeks, and would like to know if booking online prior to the sailing via their website is worth the internet/data/wifi or not.

From the CXC website, the price of the week is $179 (but I don't know what that includes or entails).

I traveled with RCL this summer and their rate was $63.63 for one device for 7 days.

We sailed on Connie is Feb. And unlimited WiFi was cheaper booking on the first day aboard than it would have been precruise. Plus with captains club we get discount and can use OBC. Sailing on Eclipse in Dec. Precruise rate is much higher than it was in Feb....so we'll wait and see, we have a lot of OBC so it'll probably pay to wait. Except for shore excursions which are more expensive on board, most other things are available cheaper once aboard and they are no longer selling unless they discount. Anyway, that's always worked for us.

It's only worth it if you want/need it.

Also, we were on the Summit last May and found that the pre-cruise price was less than the book on board price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were on Constellation TA this past April and the on-board deal for unlimited wifi with the Elite+ 35% discount was $129.

This past June on board Summit for only 7 nights, it was also $129 with the 35% discount. Booked both on board.

Doing a TA on Reflection next month. The pre-cruise discount booked thru the Captain's Club was $156.

Just to let you know we have sailed Summit in May and September of this year and while we did not buy a package because we get minutes for being Elite+, the wi-fi coverage in certain staterooms is not very good. We could never connect in our stateroom on our May sailing and it was only marginally better in September.

I am glad we did not spend any money on the wi-fi as I really don't want to have to go out into public spaces just to use my tablet. If they were going to upgrade and charge such high prices for a package they should make sure you can access it in your stateroom.

Just got off Celebrity Summit and I use the internet packages when I cruise so here's the scoop-

I got a notice back in May to sign up for the Xcelerate streaming package for $300 for the two weeks. "Do it now or pay higher prices on board"

I waited because I know there are always specials. Then 2 days before leaving I got an email offering a discount to $240 for the two weeks. So I signed up. When I got onboard they didn't have me listed so I went to the Guest relations and they verified I had signed up and then charged me the latest discount which was sign up on the first day for $230 for two weeks.

However, I'm Elite so I got the Elite special which was 90 minutes starting from first log-in. But if you sign up for the package like I did you lose that free Elite special. So my wife used it for her 90 minutes and then I shared my one device connection after that, which is what we always do.

As the first week progressed, I saw appropriate discounts offered so that I believe it was on the 7th day the balance of the cruise was at $99.

In the future, I would take advantage of the 90 minute deal which worked well for video streaming, and then seek any discounts they offer as the cruise days progress. In the meantime whehn at port in Canada, you can sign up with Verizon for a $2 per day to use your normal plan while off the ship. LTE in Canada was very fast. I used it in all the Canada POC's. I used Verizon LTE when in Boston & Portland. There is also an internet cafe at the cruise terminals where we see many people sitting and using the free wifi no security, however. I avoid these for obvious reasons.

The only time you will really need the ship's wifi on the cruise is days at sea, so there are rather expensive day rates for those packages, but if you have 4 days at sea and you can avoid it other times, then the out of pocket is a lower cost.

Personally, I don't gamble, or buy the drink packages, as I find these equally expensive. Having the internet while traveling is my vice and I'm retired so it isn't work. It's freedom and peace of mind to have communications. Our daughter loved getting day by day updates and pictures and videos I send home while cruising. On Celebrity Summit, even Facetime worked great.

Oh and I had excellent signal in our room which was 7057. I'm sure this varies, but the "expert" in the computer room told me it doesn't work except in the public areas. It worked anywhere in the room and on our balcony. 5 wifi signal bars steady.

Edited by MaryAnn&Don

Cruised on Connie in February. Got the unlimited WiFi for 10 days for 149. Got a similar warning about WiFi in stateroom, but it worked seamlessly everywhere. Don't remember cabin number, but concierge midship panarama deck.

We cruised Summit in May and again 4 weeks ago and could not get the wi-fi in our cabins either cruise. I would never pay for a package as I want to connect in my stateroom, not in public spaces.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

It would be quite helpful to post which staterooms you could not get wifi signal. As I said we had excellent signal in 7057 24-7, including the Balcony. I wonder if your room was on the inside or on lower decks. Just trying to get a fix on why. I've heard others reporting opposite reports as well. I'm sure an inside lower deck room has more metal shielding than upper deck with a full wall of glass to the outside where signal is the strongest.

• 5 weeks later...
We sailed on Connie is Feb. And unlimited WiFi was cheaper booking on the first day aboard than it would have been precruise. Plus with captains club we get discount and can use OBC.

Were you able to apply the Captain's Club discount to the lower pricing offered on the first day?

I believe you can try the wifi from your room before signing up for a package. Just pick the Celebrity wifi from the wifi options and you'll see how many "bars" of wifi signal there are from your cabin. Instead of entering a username and password to start an external internet session, go to Celebrity or RCCL website as they are part of the "Corporate websites". You should also be able to research future cruises in this manner without using a wifi package.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I did a google search, and this one came up. j

I am pretty sure that the unlimited Wifi for a 7 day cruise is $199, and sometimes sold pre-cruise with 20% discount. Can anyone confirm, because the Celebrity Web Site doesn't specify. I think it makes the most sense to get the $300 OBC for my second perk and then purchase the Wifi with it.

There is a 10% discount for booking prior to the cruise.

I always call in order to get the Captains Club discount, haven't figured a way to get it via the online portal. Click here for The full wifi price list dated May 2018.

4-6 night 1 device $159

7-9 night 1 device $249

24 hours$49.95

1 hour $24.95

Edited by cmhdoogalsatsea

I have 2 7 night sailings booked and the pre-cruise price for the unlimited internet for 1 device is $224. 2 different ships & 2 different times of year.

Yup that would be a 10% discount from the price they list (and I quoted) above. As I mentioned, I always have to call to get the deeper CC discount.

cheers