NCL wouldn't let me pay my onboard account

westcoastman

Names can definitely be a problem and not always due to the way the first name is used. My sister who sometimes travels with me often has a problem due to her Irish style surname that has an O' start to the name similar to O'Sheehan. It is her legal name on her passport, drivers licence etc. and also on her debit and credit cards. But try booking a flight or a cruise and the name is not accepted because the apostrophe can not be entered when completing online forms. So she always worries that bookings do not match her ID.

Using O'Sheehan as an example, on purchased tickets sometimes the name as shown as OSheehan, other times as Osheehan or even as O Sheehan which is really wrong as the O looks like an initial for a middle name. She really has to get it changed when that happens. We are cruising NCL later this month so fingers crossed they will not get picky on this. As they happily accepted final payment using a credit card that did not match the booked name hopefully a problem will not arise at the end of the cruise. At least we can refer them to the name of one of their own bars!!

That is so strange. I don't think I ever had a choice on what was put on my debit / credit cards. They want my full legal name and I need to identify myself with a government issued id and other documentation that proves my identity.

The problem is that who ever issues sensitive cards like that allows deviation of legal names on it.

Just a comment about how common nicknames can be confused. All his life my grandfather went by "Mike". Nobody but his mother ever called him Maynard. So the point is just because someone goes by Bill or Tom doesn't mean their given name is William or Thomas.

Just a comment about how common nicknames can be confused. All his life my grandfather went by "Mike". Nobody but his mother ever called him Maynard. So the point is just because someone goes by Bill or Tom doesn't mean their given name is William or Thomas.

Yep...Just like Sheryl Crow said: "...he says his name is William, but I'm sure it's Bill or Billy or Mac or Buddy" ;)

This is an NCL rule, not one imposed by the CC companies. I don't agree with it. IN fact if the card goes through why should it matter what name is on it? Unfortunately, it is their ship and therefore their rules.

This is an NCL rule, not one imposed by the CC companies. I don't agree with it. IN fact if the card goes through why should it matter what name is on it? Unfortunately, it is their ship and therefore their rules.

Because if the card is stolen they won't get paid!

Then why on Earth did the OP have to go through all of this in the first place??
Because they didn't want to pay the whole bill with the card they gave for the account at check-in (which it sounds like really was not in the OP's name, hence his desire to provide another card in order to pay his part of the charges).

Because they didn't want to pay the whole bill with the card they gave for the account at check-in (which it sounds like really was not in the OP's name, hence his desire to provide another card in order to pay his part of the charges).

Well multiple trips to GS, arguments with the staff, being aggravated on vacation, and whining on a forum over it.

Sure do hope it was all worth it.

Because he card could be fraudulent. No one would ever put a fake name on a card and expect a company to honor it. The OP even admits that other places have declined their card. Why would anyone put a nickname on a legal diocument and be arrogant enough to expect everyone from different nations to know all of the US derivations of their name. The cruise line should have refused to accept it.

Edited by BirdTravels

I'm amazed that the bank would issue a Credit Card not in your Legal name.

No way they'd do it here in Aus.

Nowadays you require 100 points if ID to open any account and the names must match.

Now maybe back in the '70s.

I'm confused by the whole premise of this post. Are we saying that NCL requires a person to pay their own account? So I couldn't pay my wife's or my parents'? I would think they would allow a payment from anyone.

Or is it that his name on the card didn't match his ID (not that it didn't match his name on his onboard account)?

I'm confused by the whole premise of this post. Are we saying that NCL requires a person to pay their own account? So I couldn't pay my wife's or my parents'? I would think they would allow a payment from anyone.

Or is it that his name on the card didn't match his ID (not that it didn't match his name on his onboard account)?

His card & ID didn't match.

Name on card did not match name on account (and therefore name on passport provided at checkin). Furthermore the OP assumes that the multinational crew knows every US derivation of a name. And further acknowledges that others have challenged him in the past.

Now days, if your airline ticket says William and your ID says Bill, you're not getting past TSA.

The premise is that he has elected to use nicknames on some of his cards and then rants when people won't accept it cuz it doesn't match legal name on the account.