Park west strikes again.

spookwife

Everything I've heard says pawn Stars is scripted. Chances are the "seller" had never even been on a cruise and most likely hadn't seen the picture before going in to film

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

You stand in a huge line in the morning, it can wrap around the building. They film from 9 to 3. They mark the things they buy way up in price. The prices to me seem way higher than a antique store. This person must of been thinking about the resale to purchase it and get more than what he paid on the ship at Pawn Stars. And I do believe that a lot of it is scripted.

I have been buying a lot of South West art lately to furnish a recently purchased home. I have bought some fairly big name pieces at resale shops, estate sales and antique shops. I usually buy for pennies on the dollar of what the art sold for new. Most art doesn't hold it's value much less appreciate in value. Buy art because it speaks to you. Most is a poor investment.

I have been buying a lot of South West art lately to furnish a recently purchased home. I have bought some fairly big name pieces at resale shops, estate sales and antique shops. I usually buy for pennies on the dollar of what the art sold for new. Most art doesn't hold it's value much less appreciate in value. Buy art because it speaks to you. Most is a poor investment.

Art only speaks to me after I have had far too much to drink and its a bit creepy to watch dogs playing poker converse with you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

How does PW strike again. When one buys art on a ship or anywhere else. Most by it for the personal connection you have with a particular piece. PW does not force you to buy. It's voluntary last time I checked.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree it is voluntary and PW does not force you to buy.....

PW does mislead people on the value of the art in general, IMHO. For example many years ago, I did sit in on an auction one sea day late morning. Did not try the champagne though.

Anyway, the 'barker' would describe the painting, the artist, the investment opportunity, etc. Then he/she would throw out a price, a value. In the one I attended, it was $9,000 for that particular painting. Well they then offered it at $1,800 as I recall.

I sat there and asked myself, 'self, why would anyone sell something that is worth $9k for $1.8k'? The simple answer is: They didn't! In my particular viewing, the purchaser got it for $1.8k as there were no other persons interested. If there were, the price may have been bid up some.

If I had something that really was worth $9k, I would sell it in a forum that would get me $9k or pretty close to $9k. Most people would too, I think.

Now, I am not judging the pictures, or people buying them, but sometimes you get caught up in the moment and excitement. We have friends that buy paintings onboard and proudly display them in their home and get great value out of their investment every time they look at them.

So, if PW is still doing what I mention above, I would argue they are misleading in what the actual resale value would be as that is the basis for why someone should be willing to pay $x today.

Edited by shipshape sam

Our investments have done nothing but increase in value, sometimes. By a significant amount. My John Alvin original is worth 5 times what we paid for it less than 10 years ago. My Geisl is at least 200% and my Chuck Jones Incognito about 150%.

Our investments have done nothing but increase in value, sometimes. By a significant amount. My John Alvin original is worth 5 times what we paid for it less than 10 years ago. My Geisl is at least 200% and my Chuck Jones Incognito about 150%.

Are you selling them realizing an actual gain or getting appraisals?

Agree it is voluntary and PW does not force you to buy.....

PW does mislead people on the value of the art in general, IMHO. For example many years ago, I did sit in on an auction one sea day late morning. Did not try the champagne though.

Anyway, the 'barker' would describe the painting, the artist, the investment opportunity, etc. Then he/she would throw out a price, a value. In the one I attended, it was $9,000 for that particular painting. Well they then offered it at $1,800 as I recall.

I sat there and asked myself, 'self, why would anyone sell something that is worth $9k for $1.8k'? The simple answer is: They didn't! In my particular viewing, the purchaser got it for $1.8k as there were no other persons interested. If there were, the price may have been bid up some.

If I had something that really was worth $9k, I would sell it in a forum that would get me $9k or pretty close to $9k. Most people would too, I think.

Now, I am not judging the pictures, or people buying them, but sometimes you get caught up in the moment and excitement. We have friends that buy paintings onboard and proudly display them in their home and get great value out of their investment every time they look at them.

So, if PW is still doing what I mention above, I would argue they are misleading in what the actual resale value would be as that is the basis for why someone should be willing to pay $x today.

Have seen news show stating many prints are sold and that they use high quality printers. Then put a few brush strokes on the "oil" and pass it along as originals or limited editions. A word to the buyer, if you think the print is nice a pay a small amount, enjoy it. Save the expensive buying for at home by a reputable dealer and verify the appraisal.

Are you selling them realizing an actual gain or getting appraisals?

appraised for insurance purposes. the John Alvin is coming with me to my grave. although a year after we bought it the gallery we purchased it from begged to borrow it for a show and while on display received about 4 different offers, one of which was was embarrassing, it was so high. the Curator actually begged us to accept.

Still don't get your PW strikes again comment?....K.O.:rolleyes:

My idea of art is a high towering 300 yard tee shot that draws about 20 yards right to left so what do I know about anything? I do believe most everything that PW sells is not art only photo copies of art. If the only way you get the majority of people to come in there is free sparkling wine .... well that should be everyone's first clue. I also wrongly feel if the "art appraiser" says its worth 9000.00 they should be forced to buy it back from you for say, half of the value he appraised at in the first place. You can bet your ass if I appraised your house at 200k I would certainly be willing to pay you 100k for it. If the appraiser is not willing to pay 1/2 of an appraised value for any object he appraises then he's not really an appraiser, he's a liar and sales rep/con man.

Just my humble opinion .... Park West and Kinkos, selling art to suckers at sea since 1988 :))

DH always drags me to at least one art auction. I go for the free sparkling wine and sit through about half of it then bail. He goes to every auction and stays til the end. I have countless free art to prove this. We've bought twice. Nothing extravagant (no matter how much DH whines he's not getting a Peter Max poster with an oil swirl). We buy things that speak to us. Park West earned every bit of their commission last time because DH was he was a major pain in the ass. He thought the painting we wanted looked different than what they showed us so they brought out every painting on the ship by that particular artist. It looks pretty over my couch so I'm happy.

Hey, we bought a package deal... we bought 3 paintings, two by Michael Cheval and one by Scott Jacobs. Scott does renditions on Motorcycles and Harley Davidson... Chavel does lot of Beatles tributes... we got the John Lennon edition.... very nice... These included the frames which tend to be the biggest costs at times.... these are supposed to be limited editions but who cares, we liked them... can't wait for them to arrive in 4-12 weeks....

On Enchantment.....

Edited by troykahack

On our first cruise we went to a Park West auction, total rip off. Try asking them to give your piece of artwork to take with you off the ship; they will not do it. As an automotive art dealer for 10 years I know; they make a fortune on shipping, framing and other handling fees.

Want to buy artwork that really you can like when you get home? Buy from the local artists when in port. We picked up a original piece of artwork when we stopped in Dubrovnik, Croatia. The local art school was painting on the streets and we bought a beautiful original painting of the harbor for $60; still it in our dinning room. Beware, the $60 painting did cost us $120 for mounting and framing.

We also bought a painting at the RCCL private island in Haiti. Then we has the cruise director, the captain and the head chef sign it; great memory of our cruise