Equinox Sept Caribbean - Good time to go?

gordylad

We have cruised September a few times. Whilst we have never experienced really bad weather we have had itinerary changes to ensure we didn't. We have had a couple of spectacular thunder and lightning evening storms.

So, as long as you are not going to be heartbroken if a port is missed then I wouldn't worry too much. I clearly remember on an RC cruise a passenger really complaining to the conceirge that we were no longer visiting Cozumel.....Obviosly totally oblivious to the real danger hurricanes pose.

On the positive side if you are joining your cruise to an Orlando break we have found the parks nicely quiet in September...

Edited by chemmo

That is the height of hurricane season so just be prepared for last minute changes. The cruiselines are pretty good about rerouting, you just can't be inflexible with your itinerary just in case. On the plus side, if you are willing to take the risk, prices tend to be lower. I would also think the southern route would be more susceptible to hurricanes at that time of year.

looking for help from people who have cruised the caribbean in sept. Is it a good time to go or is there a high possibility of hurricanes [as per now]......thanks

Of course there is a higher possibility of Hurricanes during hurricane season. You run the risk of your cruise being diverted to completely different ports, you run the risk of not being able to get to/from your cruise. You run the risk of your insurance not covering some situation that occurs...for instance, most cruise insurance does not cover if your cruise ends early due to a mechanical breakdown of the ship (and yes, I know from personal experience).

I think you knew the answer when you posted your question....

We booked the Equinox for October (when we typically do not cruise in the Carib) and were thrilled at the value and looking forward to an 11 night cruise.

The chances of having a hurricane 'destroy' your (our) cruises is remote. If weather threatens it is usually possible to sail around things. That said when paying a premium for Jan Feb cruise there is no guarantee that you will visit every port or that weather will be optimum. Traveling from the Midwest for us in 'peak' times (Jan/Feb) also raises possible issues with travel conditions from home

About travel website has general info on Carib travel for every month.

It states that the chances of encountering a hurricane for one week in Sept, in Puerto Rico is about 2%. Overall probably a similar chance of getting sick or having something come up that precludes a vacation so why worry about it.

We sailed early October and hit a hurricane going out and a tropical storm coming back. We had fun although there was a long line at the infirmary. The captains are pretty good at avoiding storms unless you are sailing on the Anthem of the Seas.

• 4 weeks later...
Sept. is dicey for Caribbean sailings due to tropical storms and hurricanes. I like first two weeks in November for the Caribbean as kids in school, water still warm, storms have passed, and low season rates.

Same goes for the first 2 weeks of December great time to go. Week before holiday cruise they put up the decorations

One other thing, it is HOT and humid in the Caribbean at that time of year. Being from Florida we cruised many years in September because of the deals on fares, but then we took a cruise in December and one in the spring, what a difference. You can enjoy the excursions with out sweating it out.:eek:

We usually travel in early December also.

Decided to book a cruise in September this year with just a bit of intrepidation about possible hurricanes. Thought missing a port would be OK if that happened.

HOWEVER, as our cruise got closer and hurricanes started coming up the Caribbean, I really got nervous worrying about them hitting the islands we would be visiting/possibly causing damage to ports and interfering with our cruise in general.

Personally, I'd never book again in the worst hurricane season...Just too stressful for me.

Living in S Florida we've taken many September cruises.

Once you are on the ship, things will be fine. Yea you might be missing a port or two, rare to miss two, but that's about it. As far as going to places that were affected by the hurricane - spending money helps them tremendously, I mean as long as there wasn't devastation but the ship would stop if there was.

The issue is getting to the ship and the ship getting back in on time. Almost every year there are ships that are stuck out to sea a day longer than they planned due to the port closing. That's not an issue unless you are either 1) waiting to get on the ship or 2) you are on the ship and need to catch a flight back home.

There is a reason these cruises are a bit cheaper. I'd book it but I am very flexible living down here.

Edited by Duanerice1

We have cruised the Caribbean several times in Sept. (on Princess) and never had a problem. I like that it is still very warm and most schools are back in session so not many children on board.

Our first time on Celebrity we cruised in March and I said never again. It was chilly the 1st couple of days sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale and there were lots of children which makes it even more crowded at the pools.

Since then we have cruised on Celebrity in Nov. but that is stressful for me because when we get home we have to prepare Thanksgiving dinner for a large family and get ready for Christmas. So for us early fall works best.

We were very happy when the Equinox was available for a cruise to the ABC islands next Sept. That is also our anniversary month so really looking forward to it. Sept. is the peak of hurricane season so there is an obvious risk but we feel like the chances of being impacted are still pretty low.

We always get insurance but I think that is good advice no matter when you are cruising. What I would not do is plan a land vacation in the Caribbean during hurricane season. At least on a ship we can move!

We always cruise in September ... great deals then. Why?? It is peak hurricane season. The Southern Caribbean (ABC islands) which I believe the Equinox is doing in Sept is less likely to see a hurricane than the Western / Eastern Caribbean as it is a bit outside of the hurricane belt ... but it still could happen. Plus, you will have to get there from Miami so could hit some rough seas on the way down and back. However, the captain usually can avoid these, though you may still get a lot of rain or high seas.

We cruised down to Aruba for my birthday in late Sept one year ... it was either going to be Aruba or Bar Harbor ... two of my favorite ports. Well, we had perfect weather but there was a hurricane that rolled its way up the eastern seaboard. Just get travel insurance and you should be ok. Or ... book a cruise outside of hurricane season ...which I think ends in late November.

September is peak time for hurricanes, but it doesn't always mean anything. This year there was nothing in December.

:confused:

OP, as was mentioned, Sept is peak time. We used to sail DCL and that was an inexpensive (for DCL) time to cruise. Unless I can save a boatload of cash, we don't sail then. But when we did, we looked at it as an adventure.

Our very first cruise (years ago) was in September between two hurricanes. The ship (Grandeur of the Seas) hit debris leaving the port and damaged a propeller. The wake from each propeller obviously didn't match. The ship had to travel slower, so we missed two ports. Didn't set foot on a beach. Many passengers were upset, but we really didn't mind. Still had a great time. The only thing that bothered us was that they were very slow to tell the passengers what was going on. Got to see scuba divers checking out the stern.

Nevertheless I now avoid hurricane season. Next cruise is in a few weeks.

We like cruising in Aug and Sep. yes, it is hurricane season, and we have been affected by them, but only in the sense of ships taking a wide birth around a storm or missing a private island that was hit by the storm. On the other thing, We don't like cruising in the winter. First, the home port weather can be a factor. But the real factor to us is that winter is the height of flu season, as well as the dreaded noro-virus. No rerouting around that stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums