If there's a hurricane....

redcruzer

I live in Boston and the forecast for Sunday 10/8/16 is not good at all.

Good luck.

Tony

Thanks Tony. Sunday we're in Newport. I'm just going to assume we are not tendering, and honestly I'm fine with it. We were doing the Breakers/Marble House tour, and if you've seen one big house (I have), you've seen them all. We have a busy couple of days and just hanging out on board and exploring will be just fine with us. This is our first Princess cruise. Monday we're in Boston and I'm actually looking forward to going to the JFK Library and the John Adams House.

Thanks Tony. Sunday we're in Newport. I'm just going to assume we are not tendering, and honestly I'm fine with it. We were doing the Breakers/Marble House tour, and if you've seen one big house (I have), you've seen them all.

With Mathew's current forecast to turn out to sea from the Carolinas & not continuing up the East Coast it's now a much better forecast for Newport...63°, 20% chance of rain and winds averaging 10 mph.

Do you use the Princess insurance, other insurance, or a combination of those? We always get the Princess insurance but have wondered if it's enough for our 28 day Hawaii and South Pacific cruise next year.

We have always taken Clark Howard's (consumer advocate) advice to buy 3rd party insurance, not the cruise line insurance. He says in the case of a claim, the cruise line will have their own interest at heart, not yours.

We go to insuremytrip dot com....you put in all your trip info...and you will see a list of insurance companies that can meet your needs. Usually Nationwide is the one we choose...seems to be cheaper for the same coverage as others. We used Travelguard for years....it was fine too...never had a claim. Just be sure that if you have a health condition, that you book the insurance within the allotted time (usually 10-15 days) after booking your trip...or your pre-existing condition won't be covered as a reason for cancelling your trip.

We have always taken Clark Howard's (consumer advocate) advice to buy 3rd party insurance, not the cruise line insurance. He says in the case of a claim, the cruise line will have their own interest at heart, not yours.

Princess is not the insurer. It sells the insurance for a third-party company and you deal with that company in case of a claim.

There have been many posts of people very happy with the claims settlement process of that company.

Definitely agree with getting third-party insurance WITH cancel for any reason included.

If the cruise line cancels a cruise, they will likely refund all monies and possibly offer a discount on a future booking (that's what Disney did for the Dream cruise they had to cancel). *Technically* by the cruise contract they don't have to do anything, but as a gesture of goodwill most of them will do something.

But if YOU get cold feet about weather and decide to cancel, you'd probably only get 50-75% back. But that's better than the 0% you'd get if you jumped the gun and cancelled on your own without insurance.

And as an additional note... If you're thinking you're going to get it and use the cancel for any reason because of a hurricane, in every case I've heard of, you MUST have purchased the insurance at least 72 hours before the storm gets named. They're not stupid - if they didn't have limits they would lose thousands because people would just go "Oh, the storm is going to hit. NOW I want insurance." No dice.