If there's a hurricane....

redcruzer

Will Princess cancel? Getting ready to cruise in about 3 weeks. We never buy the insurance. I'm thinking maybe we should. Would that be the only way to get your money back even if the we were in the middle of the hurricane?

They adjust the route of the cruise to avoid severe weather & this article describes changes from Matthew:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7255

Will Princess cancel? Getting ready to cruise in about 3 weeks. We never buy the insurance. I'm thinking maybe we should. Would that be the only way to get your money back even if the we were in the middle of the hurricane?

Never cruise with out insurance. You never know what's going to happen.

I wife got sick on a cruise and by the time we got home our bills were over 10K.

Tony

Good info but this cruise leaves from NYC. What if the hurricane is in NY the day of embarkation?

I've read posts from passengers affected by super storm Sandy who as I recall had NYC departure adjusted & also remained in Boston for a couple of days.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We never buy the insurance.

Penny wise, pound foolish.

Unless you are a mutli-gazillionaire and can afford to lose several thousand dollars I'd buy insurance. (And this is from a guy who thinks insurance is, in most cases, a rip off.)

During my Canada/NE cruise several years ago there was a hurricane coming up the East coast. They cancelled our stop in Halifax and brought the ship back to NYC one day early. We were allowed to go into the city during the day. We slept on the ship and disembarked the next morning as usual. The seas were rough during this cruise, especially heading back to New York.

Cancelling a cruise most likely won't happen but adjustment of the itineraries will. I personally enjoy a rough ride & don't mind a little wave action.

Three weeks from not is impossible to predict and there could be 2 more storms before then.

The best you can hope for is a return of the port charges if they miss a port and a cruise you won't soon forget.

Good info but this cruise leaves from NYC. What if the hurricane is in NY the day of embarkation?

If there is a major storm in NYC on the day of departure you will be on board, but the ship will stay in port and sail when the storm passes. The Captain will not risk the ship and passengers.

It can be a big mistake to sail without travel insurance. The cost of the cruise is small compared to the massive expenses that can be incurred if you or your family become ill and have to be hospitalized and/or evacuated at a foreign port where your health insurance doesn't cover you. Think about it.

I'm on Regal this coming Saturday (10/8) for our NE/Canada cruise. Keeping one eye on the Weather channel. I'm actually not worried about the cruise itself (I know if the storm is in the NE they'll either go somewhere else or cruise to no where).

My biggest issue is excursions. First stop is Newport (Sunday), which is a tender port. My sister uses a mobility scooter so I know if the seas are even a little rough, she may not be allowed to board.

To be safe, should I cancel that day's excursion? I was told by Princess that if she can't get on the tender, she will lose her excursion (no refund).

I'm on Regal this coming Saturday (10/8) for our NE/Canada cruise. Keeping one eye on the Weather channel. I'm actually not worried about the cruise itself (I know if the storm is in the NE they'll either go somewhere else or cruise to no where).

My biggest issue is excursions. First stop is Newport (Sunday), which is a tender port. My sister uses a mobility scooter so I know if the seas are even a little rough, she may not be allowed to board.

To be safe, should I cancel that day's excursion? I was told by Princess that if she can't get on the tender, she will lose her excursion (no refund).

Check the cancelation time. I believe for first day tours, it is usually embarkation day about 5 or 7pm. Before that full refund. After that refund only if they sell your ticket.

I agree with the prior poster in that you should check when is the last possible time that you can cancel without penalty.

I think there may be some weather issues in Newport on Sunday. The course of the storm is still uncertain but it seems that everyone agrees with the general direction. This will mean that the seas will be rough. All cruise ships have to drop anchor at the opening to Newport Harbor which is also relatively open to the passage entrance and therefore always subject to ocean conditions. Even if the storm is a good distance away, we will likely have ocean swells and the water in the harbor will be affected.

I would also watch the "marine weather" for Narragansett Bay for Sunday. This is the most reliable for bay conditions. Go to "maineharbors.com" and select "Marine forecasts" then select "Narragansett Bay". We are baoters located in Rhode island and this is the most reliable source for ocean conditions.

Good Luck!

No they wont cancel unless the storm hits land fall the day of your cruise, in 2005 we left Ft Lauderdale the day before Wilma hit, with out a issue, even though Princess told us to get to the port early, we got there at 6, before the dock workers, and they were wondering why we were there so early.

Never cruise without insurance, or passport books, just search for my post a few days ago about our Grand cruise that go cut short.

I agree with the prior poster in that you should check when is the last possible time that you can cancel without penalty.

I think there may be some weather issues in Newport on Sunday. The course of the storm is still uncertain but it seems that everyone agrees with the general direction. This will mean that the seas will be rough. All cruise ships have to drop anchor at the opening to Newport Harbor which is also relatively open to the passage entrance and therefore always subject to ocean conditions. Even if the storm is a good distance away, we will likely have ocean swells and the water in the harbor will be affected.

I would also watch the "marine weather" for Narragansett Bay for Sunday. This is the most reliable for bay conditions. Go to "maineharbors.com" and select "Marine forecasts" then select "Narragansett Bay". We are baoters located in Rhode island and this is the most reliable source for ocean conditions.

Good Luck!

Thanks. I'll continue to check mainharbors. I just called Princess. Our excursion on Sunday leaves at 11:45 AM and cancellation policy is 24 hours prior. We won't even be on board by 11:45 AM on Saturday.

I'm driving from DC to NY on Friday. When I get to my sister's house I'll check the weather (again). If it looks like I expect it to look (pretty crappy for tendering on Sunday), I'll simply cancel the excursion. I'd hate to lose $160 simply because she can't get off the ship. I'm sure we'll find other things to do with our time.

Thanks. I'll continue to check mainharbors. I just called Princess. Our excursion on Sunday leaves at 11:45 AM and cancellation policy is 24 hours prior. We won't even be on board by 11:45 AM on Saturday.

I'm driving from DC to NY on Friday. When I get to my sister's house I'll check the weather (again). If it looks like I expect it to look (pretty crappy for tendering on Sunday), I'll simply cancel the excursion. I'd hate to lose $160 simply because she can't get off the ship. I'm sure we'll find other things to do with our time.

The way that the forecasts are right now, it seems that the most likely scenario is that they will delay in leaving NYC, so you may go to Newport on the Monday?? It's just too unpredictable right now..........

Penny wise, pound foolish.

Unless you are a mutli-gazillionaire and can afford to lose several thousand dollars I'd buy insurance. (And this is from a guy who thinks insurance is, in most cases, a rip off.)

Crazy isn't it.

Never cruise with out insurance. You never know what's going to happen.

I wife got sick on a cruise and by the time we got home our bills were over 10K.

Tony

Do you use the Princess insurance, other insurance, or a combination of those? We always get the Princess insurance but have wondered if it's enough for our 28 day Hawaii and South Pacific cruise next year.

The way that the forecasts are right now, it seems that the most likely scenario is that they will delay in leaving NYC, so you may go to Newport on the Monday?? It's just too unpredictable right now..........

Never thought of that! Assume they would just cut the cruise by one day. That would suck but I guess it's better than being at work!

Personally I would rather they just skip Newport and head straight to Boston - I've been looking forward to our Boston excursion.

I'm a planner - this unpredictability is killing me :D

Add my thoughts to those who do not take insurance. I was one of you up until March 2013 when I fell on ice and broke my fibula in 2 places a week before the cruise. Orthopedic doc said, cruise in 1 week I don't think so. 2 days before we were to leave for the cruise, I was in surgery getting a rod and screws in my leg. What did I get back from Princess? Nothing and I did not expect anything. I had booked Southwest so did not lose that money and was able to cancel hotel room. So it was a $2200 hard lesson to learn. Will had insurance since and will continue to do so.

You will fine in 3 weeks.

If she would normally be able to use the tender then you will get a refund if conditions do not allow it.

The person at Princess was wrong. When you board, check with the shore excursion desk for the real answer.

In any event, you will be able to cancel without any penalty until some time after you board on embarkation day, probably 6 PM or 7 PM. The latest time to cancel without penalty will be with a note with the excursion tickets and also on a sign at the shore excursion desk. No need to worry about cancelling before you embark.

If she would normally be able to use the tender then you will get a refund if conditions do not allow it.

The person at Princess was wrong. When you board, check with the shore excursion desk for the real answer.

In any event, you will be able to cancel without any penalty until some time after you board on embarkation day, probably 6 PM or 7 PM. The latest time to cancel without penalty will be with a note with the excursion tickets and also on a sign at the shore excursion desk. No need to worry about cancelling before you embark.

I live in Boston and the forecast for Sunday 10/8/16 is not good at all.

Good luck.

Tony