Port Canaveral CLOSED

Bella looks bored, like she wants to hear more about Freedom scrubber funnels and other random ventings so she can step in and restore order. Hurricanes are not as good.

She's doing her best, clinging to mommy. I might take her out once the wind shifts to north. no elevator though. :eek: Tuned off to prevent damage from power surges.

Weather cam still up, the real test will be once south winds hit it.

https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/eaB1rJytnpS4n5Wk

She's doing her best, clinging to mommy. I might take her out once the wind shifts to north. no elevator though. :eek: Tuned off to prevent damage from power surges.

Glad y'all are doing OK! :D

Please post here if you get any news onboard Freedom for Sunday's arrival/departure. I'm onboard Allure and supposed to drive from Ft Lauderdale to Freedom Sunday.

We are supposed to drive down tomorrow. We will need to find out about hotels in Cocoa Beach, if we need to make a 2nd reservation further inland. Also watching the storm to see what it will do here, further up the coast.

John, does your weather station record the peak wind gust? I heard that the Air Force station recorded a peak gust of 101mph.

We are supposed to drive down tomorrow. We will need to find out about hotels in Cocoa Beach, if we need to make a 2nd reservation further inland. Also watching the storm to see what it will do here, further up the coast.

We're in the same boat.... Um, no pun intended :eek::D My mom and I are still planning to begin making our way south (via a more inland route than originally planned) this afternoon. I still haven't checked for a new hotel after getting the cancellation notice from Country Inn. I'm hoping maybe they didn't suffer much damage and perhaps will be operational by tomorrow afternoon/evening. I'll figure something out though if they aren't (of course, all dependent on if Freedom still leaves from PC on Sunday as intended)

I am getting more accurate info from the wonderful folks on CC than from any news source (you know how sensationalistic they can be :rolleyes: ). So thank you all so much for all of your updates, info and advice. The CC community Rocks!!!!

Melissa

Checking in, all ok

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I'm glad things are good so far. I have ridden out several hurricanes in my time. It is amazing how one's perspective changes from when you are a kid with no responsibilities to an adult with very different priorities. What I would have at one time viewed as an adventure now just makes me shake my head.

Stay safe.

Thanks for the update John!

We are on the Freedom making our way back in. Not sure where we are but right now but we are still in smooth seas....thank goodness!! We know that will change but are grateful for what we can get.

Watching CNN and hoping for the best!!

If you tune in to the ship's TV channel there should be a ship's information that includes positon that cycles with the web cam shots.

Map below is from a few minutes ago.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-68/centery:19/zoom:8

attachment.php?attachmentid=395718&d=1475846207

FreedomOct7.jpg.e46db6bbd192072ac674947c8a2a1765.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

We're in the same boat.... Um, no pun intended :eek::D My mom and I are still planning to begin making our way south (via a more inland route than originally planned) this afternoon. I still haven't checked for a new hotel after getting the cancellation notice from Country Inn. I'm hoping maybe they didn't suffer much damage and perhaps will be operational by tomorrow afternoon/evening. I'll figure something out though if they aren't (of course, all dependent on if Freedom still leaves from PC on Sunday as intended)

I am getting more accurate info from the wonderful folks on CC than from any news source (you know how sensationalistic they can be :rolleyes: ). So thank you all so much for all of your updates, info and advice. The CC community Rocks!!!!

Melissa

If you are scheduled out of Port Canaveral, check OCALA along I75 for hotel. It is not to far to drive to ship. If sailing out of Port Everglades check SW FL with access to Allegator Alley. Any area along East coast may not have electricity or services. Wish RCCL would be more helpful to those of you who are scheduled to sail. I know they are up to their necks with thousands to help but you need to know what to do. My opinion.

Thank you so much for posting the marine traffic site. Very interesting.

Good to see Freedom is still headed to Port Canaveral.

If you are scheduled out of Port Canaveral, check OCALA along I75 for hotel. It is not to far to drive to ship. If sailing out of Port Everglades check SW FL with access to Allegator Alley. Any area along East coast may not have electricity or services. Wish RCCL would be more helpful to those of you who are scheduled to sail. I know they are up to their necks with thousands to help but you need to know what to do. My opinion.

I think Royal Caribbean is at the mercy of the Ports authority.

Thank you so much for posting the marine traffic site. Very interesting.

She was doing 20 knots when she left ST Martin and it still doing 20 knots, no indication that it is slowing down and waiting, I hope it is anticipating the port being open by SUnday.

Thanks for the info, Snit. We were planning to drive down via I-75 anyway (to avoid the storm as much as possible as it heads north) so that sounds like a good idea to check the hotels in that vicinity as well. I appreciate all the help folks on CC give to everyone :)

Melissa

Update from the Port Canaveral Website:

PORT CANAVERAL STATUS

10/7/2016

As Port Canaveral continues to experience impacts from Hurricane Matthew, officials are preparing to assess facilities and survey the harbor to determine when it is safe to re-open and resume normal business operations.

https://www.portcanaveral.com/About/News-Releases/PORT-CANAVERAL-STATUS

Great. I see on the PC webcam page, there is a tweet, looks like Fishlips took a lot of damage. I might have to go to Grills next weekend, haven't checked that yet.

A tug boat and another boat broke loose and crashed into the dock at Grills. Unknown on possible damage.

Glad everyone is safe along the coast and very lucky it moved east a tad, we were to have originally boarded the Majesty today, i know it was a hard decision for RCCL to make to cancel but we trying to make the best of it, we rented a car and came to Bradenton to visit family so the trip was not a total waste. Guess that is the chance we take when you book a cruise during hurricane season. Thankful today everyone is OK!!