Port Canaveral CLOSED

FL Gov. Scott on Weather Channel...."Evacuate, This Storm Will Kill You."

Been watching reports from Melbourne Beach (south of John) and Daytona Beach (north of John)....get out while the getting is good. PLEASE

Totally agree. (John) You may survive the storm but you will have no power. They may shut the power off before the storm arrives. No water, no toilet, no elevator, no ability to shop for anything. Roads flooded. If you have a heart attack or any other medical emergency you will not have any help. Get out now. We've lived through many hurricanes having had a home on a barrier island. You should listen to the warnings of the authorities. Technically it's already too late and you will be in big time traffic.

Okay, In the middle of a major panic attack here. What do our resident insiders know at this point about cruises over the next few days out of Port Canaveral?

Royal has not updated their info since mid day Wednesday.

Based on the current projected track PC could experience some serious damage. Hopefully it will turn offshore instead of ripping a path along IH95.

Talked to a client living in Lake Mary (E of Orlando) before he watched the evening news...he didn't expect more than a bad rain storm, but looks like he could really be seeing some bad stuff based on this morning's forecast.

Praying for safe days ahead for those living in that whole area.

Eventually the port will come back to life and in the meantime adjustments to sailings will occur. As long as everyone remains safe that's the key to getting thru Matthew.

What about your cars John? Will you move those to higher ground?

Both are garaged, but not that high. I thought about going over to the Four Points garage and parking on an upper level. All the hotels are vacated.

Okay, In the middle of a major panic attack here. What do our resident insiders know at this point about cruises over the next few days out of Port Canaveral?

Unless the port is damaged, you should be fine. Should know more Friday night

Both are garaged, but not that high. I thought about going over to the Four Points garage and parking on an upper level. All the hotels are vacated.

At least getting them up on the 2nd or 3rd level might be a good idea. Salt water can screw up a car big time:(

I'm sure you already know this, but: Fill your bathtub with water - you can use a bucket of water to flush the toilet :)

Edited by bouhunter

I'd do that ASAP. The garage may already be filled. I read the surge might exceed 10 feet.

Thanks for the thoughts. We are near Daytona and have taken in all potential flying objects and are staying put. We don't live on the beach side.

Stay safe.:)

My Mom has a house in Sebastian but hasn't gone down there for the winter yet. She is hoping she still has something left when she flies down in 3 weeks. Some of her neighbors down there aren't leaving though.:( Not a smart choice in the area where they are located.

I assume you are driving down, if so, sit tight and wait, you know nothing will be determined until after the storm goes by. If it helps your sanity, track Freedom on Marine Traffic.com

My panic is also compounded about concerns here at home. Our house is located less than 1/2 mile as the sea gulls fly to the ocean front.

Our plan is to drive down on Saturday. However, Matthew was projected to hit my neck of the woods Saturday evening. I really don't want to leave DH at home to deal with the house, dogs and motor home, etc.

We did get a little respite - it looks like Matthew might start heading east once it is near Savannah. Fingers crossed the sooner it heads east the better! (Sorry folks in Bermuda, it is not personal.)

I'd do that ASAP. The garage may already be filled. I read the surge might exceed 10 feet.

I went over, they are using the garage as a staging area for first responders. I was told to come back at 2:30 and there may be space. wish me luck ;)

I went over, they are using the garage as a staging area for first responders. I was told to come back at 2:30 and there may be space. wish me luck ;)

Wishing you and everyone else in the path very Good Luck!

PS: There's always the parking structure at the port.

Edited by clarea

I thought about that, but I think roads are closed going in

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Hope you aren't too attached to those cars! I just can't believe the people staying put. We rode out Opal in Destin and it was devastating. Back then we didn't have the info we do now, either. We were young and dumb!