Fascination cruise out of Puerto Rico

ranchette

That I don't know for sure. It could be the security table was there for stuff that was already in someone's carryon and not something they had just purchased.

Pls..someone who has just been on the Fascination.. say, last 60 days,

leaving PR.. can you walk in the store, at the top of the steps, walk out right at the security ck point w your purchase. go through that last ck point.

proceed on to the ship, w your purchase. I have seen "the Table" but never in 3 past (heading on our 4th! yea) Southern Cruises, have I been told to "stop and drop" just greeted w smiles, and welcomes.

It really has saved me on having to purchase it through Carnival.. and they really have never said anything to anyone.. All the pass. were allowed to do this.

Thoughts have been on here...they own the Liquor store... so getting $ either way, to others thinking, we are in so many ports on this run, that not as much alcohol is consumed. So they are happy for any sales..

Dont no..dont care! was sweet! DW and I like a nice a nice Vodka and/or Rum for our trip. someone pls inform..THANKS! :D

We just got off Fascination out of PR 1/1/17. Both security checkpoint and baggage checks are upstairs, the only liquor store I saw was downstairs.

I am corrected... but still remember(more than 3 times/cruises) walking out of the store, sharp left...right into the entrance. and as long as you put it on the xray belt... you were let through.

at that point you made your way onto the ship gangway, up to the ship, swiped your card.. the table was usually down off to the side 20 ft away..and you were allowed to walk on.. no problems didnt need to hide it. The folks in the store told us, as long as it was kept in that bag, there would be no problems.

Could never get over it, from having sailed w Carnival out of other ports. (Miami, Tampa, FT.L, New Orleans) very strict. was never a smuggler.. but knew of many..lol . $100 for my Vodka through the ship.. $27-$35 in the store. So you see why I ask... Hate to buy it, and then find out I could have gotten it alot cheaper..(I"m not cheap!.. it"s the same dang bottle! lol)

again thanks for all updated info

Chris 41 days......toes in the water, a#@ in the sand....

• 2 weeks later...
I am corrected... but still remember(more than 3 times/cruises) walking out of the store, sharp left...right into the entrance. and as long as you put it on the xray belt... you were let through.

at that point you made your way onto the ship gangway, up to the ship, swiped your card.. the table was usually down off to the side 20 ft away..and you were allowed to walk on.. no problems didnt need to hide it. The folks in the store told us, as long as it was kept in that bag, there would be no problems.

Could never get over it, from having sailed w Carnival out of other ports. (Miami, Tampa, FT.L, New Orleans) very strict. was never a smuggler.. but knew of many..lol . $100 for my Vodka through the ship.. $27-$35 in the store. So you see why I ask... Hate to buy it, and then find out I could have gotten it alot cheaper..(I"m not cheap!.. it"s the same dang bottle! lol)

Hello CLS/KAS,

It would be nice to have a clear answer! :) As it stands I am planning on "seeing how it goes" and worse comes to worse... will order a bottle from room service if necessary. It costs the same if you pre-order the bottle or call room service.

Let me know if you find an answer! :D

GT

Hello CLS/KAS,

It would be nice to have a clear answer! :) As it stands I am planning on "seeing how it goes" and worse comes to worse... will order a bottle from room service if necessary. It costs the same if you pre-order the bottle or call room service.

Let me know if you find an answer! :D

GT

Chris,

Please pass the info onto me too. Either here or on our roll call. It would be great to be able to just walk right past the "table".

See you in a few weeks!!!

Howard

Our experience from SJ. Very easy to take booze, beer or wine.

Store right before security.

Once you buy what you want they usually place a zip tie on bag. We took a small pair of scissors and cut off the tie, place in baggage and walked right on.

Since the ship leaves late we made another run to the store for more beer.

Just saying.

What is the difference if the tie is cut off or not? Aren't you putting the bag in your baggage either way?

Thanks for explaining

Howard

What is the difference if the tie is cut off or not? Aren't you putting the bag in your baggage either way?

Thanks for explaining

Howard

On the cruise right now. Our wine was in carry on. Yes security is right past coming out of upstairs liquor store. When our bag went through ex Ray they put zip tie on it. Then there was a security person standing right close as we got bag off table. He saw the zip and directed us to table. They cut zip off and examined our wine.

Not sure how you would get zip off before getting to table. Maybe if it was busier. But it was quiet when we went in at 1:30.

It's a fairly substantial zip.

Also...we were the first they were to be doing staggered check in times. We arrived early, and they said no problem.

On the cruise right now. Our wine was in carry on. Yes security is right past coming out of upstairs liquor store. When our bag went through ex Ray they put zip tie on it. Then there was a security person standing right close as we got bag off table. He saw the zip and directed us to table. They cut zip off and examined our wine.

Not sure how you would get zip off before getting to table. Maybe if it was busier. But it was quiet when we went in at 1:30.

It's a fairly substantial zip.

Also...we were the first they were to be doing staggered check in times. We arrived early, and they said no problem.

Snowbaby,

Enjoy your cruise!!

So, the actual luggage is zip tied after they see a bottle in the bag during the xray? How far away is the table that you were directed to?

We just got off Fascination out of PR 1/1/17. Both security checkpoint and baggage checks are upstairs, the only liquor store I saw was downstairs.

Having done this cruise from San Juan three times in three years, I know that there can be some confusion since the liquor collection desk was moved from the ship to the terminal after Fascination arrived in San Juan. It used to be that, in fact, the desk was on the ship's deck as you boarded and between the xray machine (where they tagged/zip-tied the bags containing suspected alcohol) you could hide the bag inside another or even cut the zip-tie and no one would notice. Now the collection desk is about 15 feet from the x-ray machine after a clear glass door with TSA on one side, ship security on the other and no way to hide anything. If you're flagged, you're checked.

Also, there are two liquor stores. One on the left as you enter the terminal, before the escalators and a smaller one (almost a display wall and a counter) upstairs, after the check-in counter and just before you reach the x-ray lines, on the left. I don't see the point of buying in the terminal now if you won't be able to at least try to hide it like before and it'll just get taken away.

Snowbaby,

Enjoy your cruise!!

So, the actual luggage is zip tied after they see a bottle in the bag during the xray? How far away is the table that you were directed to?

If they see anything that even looks like it could be liquor they tag it. The collection desk and agents are about 15 feet from the TSA x-ray machines with agents in between.

Snowbaby,

Enjoy your cruise!!

Correct...zip tied after they see the bottle in X-ray. You then proceed through glass door right there and table is a few feet away.

Thanks for explaining

Howard

Thought I should mention this...the "ties" that are used in San Juan on embarkation are only used in this port. Just saying....first port the next day is in St Thomas.....no ties....

Yes drill is at 9:00......and it lasted a SOLID hour!!!!!!

Yes, 9:00, but I do not remember ours lasting for a full hour.

One difference from any other muster drill we ever participated in was at first was in a lounge, and then we were taken to where our lifeboats would be in case of a real emergency.

Thanks for that. So people just start lining up at about 5 or so...?

Or whatever time the MDR opens, yes. As I recall we showed up around 6 or so and were seated immediately. I am not sure what time the MDR closes that first night but I am sure they stop seating people after a certain time to allow everyone to finish before the drill (or at least I would hope so).