Relaxation will be needed!!

3red7s

we are booked on NCL/POA 1st week of December. I am becoming overwhelmed looking at things to do....and more overwhelmed by the shore excursion prices on the ship.

It looks like you can have some pretty busy days: are there any islands that you can recommend where you can just go to the island, walk around, have a nice lunch?

We will be able to swim in December?

What tour companies have you used?

Thanks everyone......

The are many recommendations for tour companies here. All depends on which port, and what you want to do.

You absolutely will be able to swim.

Kona would probably be the walk around area, because tender right into town.

Edited by CruiserBruce

we are booked on NCL/POA 1st week of December. I am becoming overwhelmed looking at things to do....and more overwhelmed by the shore excursion prices on the ship.

It looks like you can have some pretty busy days: are there any islands that you can recommend where you can just go to the island' date=' walk around, have a nice lunch?

Thanks everyone......[/quote']

I would either go to a bookstore or a library and pick up a Hawaii book. Deal with one island/port at a time. The Caribbean islands are separated on Cruisecritic which allows you to focus on one at a time which I think makes things easier as you read through the pages compared to the Hawaii board.

I hate to have this as my reply but...read some of the trip reports within the last year. There are many recommendations for private tours as opposed to ship tours. And there are many who enjoy a day at the beach or snorkeling instead of riding a bus around all day.

Also, look through the threads and read about those who are looking for the same things you are on various islands and see what the responses have been to their requests.

I have not cruised the Hawaiian Islands. I love all of the islands and they each have their own personality. Your activities and tours depend on your interests. I think all of the islands allow for just walking around and enjoying a nice lunch and the beach. The exception might be if your port on Maui is Kahului.

I love the water and do swim in Hawaii in December. You will have a great time. Cherie

Almost EVERY place is easy to DIY...get a guidebook and read up on your ports! Hawaii is VERY easy to DIY!

If you've never been there, a land vacation will give you MUCH more time to see and do what interests you!

If you've been there before, and have seen/done what you like....just do your own thing!

A cruise is a VACATION...do what YOU want!

It looks like you can have some pretty busy days: are there any islands that you can recommend where you can just go to the island' date=' walk around, have a nice lunch?

If you feel you must book tours, consider independent vendors ( check out recommendations on this board and TripAdvisor. These generally will be cheaper than the cruise line offerings, and in many cases provide a superior experience.

Most things in the islands require no tours to see. They are easily do-able on your own. Rental car rates are very reasonable. For less than $100 PER DAY, a family of four could take in a major attraction like Haleakala or Waimea Canyon, then have a nice lunch, spend a few hours on the beach, lunch, shop, and do additional sightseeing, extending the day as long as you wish, rather than pay the same price PP, to do only a quarter of these things at 4 times the price.

Driving is very easy in Hawaii. The rental car shuttles pick up inside the cruise docks, but have a reservation in advance.

On Hawaii, we have used Mary Lou's Big Island Tours for Volcano National Park, etc. Small group (6-8) tours family owned and conducted. Highly rated.

We have also used her in Kona. Conducted by son Kyle under Island Wide Tours, so you can book through either company. We did the land tour, but he also offers a snorkeling tour at two-step near Kona. We once booked with Fair Winds snorkeling to the bay at Captain Cook, Kealakekua? Top notch, but you'll either need to rent a car or take a taxi to meeting site about 20 minutes away.

The islands are all very different. IMO it would be a shame to spend all your time 3 blocks from the dock and not see any of the beauty of the islands. In Maui there is a mall across the road with all the same shops you have at home.

In Kauai, Kalapaki Bay/Beach is about a 20 min walk by sidewalk, or you can take the shuttle which drops you at the shops which front the beach. Lots of shade and protected water, great for kids. We like this area if we don't have any plans for the short second day in port. Or a walk to dinner the night before at Dukes restaurant or beach bar (at the Mariott Hotel ).

Hilo-you can take a taxi from the port or there may be a shuttle which drops at the farmers market. The town is along the water. Nice for some browsing and late lunch after the Volcano NP or whatever. We like Pineapples, open air bar and restaurant. Try the Pineapple Jalepeno Margarita!

Kona is right next to the dock. Lots of places for lunch and shopping before reboarding.

See

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2409177

The water will be rougher in December so some of the snorkeling we did would not be doable in December.

I agree, rent cars and explore. Plan what you want to do before the trip to save time and worry. Most of the best stuff is over an hours drive from port and you do NOT need an excursion to see the top rated things to see on each island.

My most expensive rental car was $64 (with taxes and fees) and that was for 2 days rental. You can't do a tour for that.

Every port is different and it depends on what you want to see on each island. Do you have any idea what sights you want to see?

On Maui I'd rent a car and drive to Lahaina to walk around, shop, eat etc. I wouldn't do the Road to Hana on a short trip, but I probably would drive up to Haleakala.

In Hilo I'd rent a car and drive to VNP.

If you want to snorkel, Oahu is your best bet in December. Kaunaoa Bay on the Big Island, near the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, might be okay as well as the beach at Mauna Kea, but that can change quickly.

On Kauai I'd rent a car and drive down to Waimea Canyon, maybe stop in Poipu for some shopping. You could probably snorkel at Brennecke's Beach in Poipu, but the best snorkeling on Kauai is in the North, but December is the wrong month for that.