Celebrity cruisers considering azamara

artistcleveland

We just reached elite level on celebrity and saw an interesting itinerary on azamara. We typically book veranda, so suite info wouldn't be relevant to cabin comparisons. We've been happy with X but have seen little quality cutbacks over the years. Would like to hear how passengers from both compare the two.

I recently compared Celebrity Eclipse 1A balcony cabin with an Azamara V2 cabin, which you can find here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2406441

I wrote theses notes early morning as we cruised.

We have been at home 2 weeks now and I am ready to book another cruise and I will certainly consider Azamara.

One thing I didn't mention in my review was that we earned 5 Le Club Voyage points per day, whereas we were only awarded 3 for a balcony cabin on Celebrity.

I also have written a review, which can be found here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=548200&et_cid=2764671&et_rid=16560675&et_referrer=TripAdvisor

Edited by upwarduk

I recently compared Celebrity Eclipse 1A balcony cabin with an Azamara V2 cabin, which you can find here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2406441

I wrote theses notes early morning as we cruised.

We have been at home 2 weeks now and I am ready to book another cruise and I will certainly consider Azamara.

One thing I didn't mention in my review was that we earned 5 Le Club Voyage points per day, whereas we were only awarded 3 for a balcony cabin on Celebrity.

I also have written a review, which can be found here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=548200&et_cid=2764671&et_rid=16560675&et_referrer=TripAdvisor

In summary

Azamara is completely all inclusive, nothing to pay at the end of the cruise and we were never harassed to upgrade Drrinks packages or Speciality dining.

We had free shuttle buses in ports.

Celebrity's advantage is in the cabin size, especially the shower.

Edited by upwarduk

We also enjoy both! Certainly itinerary is a factor....with only 2 ships, Azamara is much more limited. But we love their small ships for their ability to get to more unusual ports, eg. up the river to Bangkok.

Price is also a factor for us, with Azamara often at least twice the price. So one does pay for the all-inclusive nature.... gratuities, drinks, shuttles. Entertainment is more limited on Azamara, but we do enjoy the special events.

I would certainly recommend giving Azamara a try! Your elite status carries over as well.

ArtistCleveland,

Definitely you should try Azamara as it is an upscale experience from Celebrity. One of the major reasons for this is mostly due to the happy crew, who are always willing and able to help or just smile and say hello! We loved our barista Ruby on our last cruise on the Quest! When staff ask if everything is fine, they go above and beyond to make sure it is up to your expectations.

We are not foodies, but I do think the food is better on Azamara. We loved the Tapas in the Living Room and enjoyed the themed buffets in the Windows Cafe as well as upscale dining in the MDR. Azamara listens to its customers and have been improving its services, such as adding more choices for complimentary wines.

There are some disadvantages to the smaller size ship—the staterooms (and the bathrooms) are definitely smaller, especially compared to the recent builds. But the ship size allows it to dock in closer in the major cities and the free shuttle makes for touring on your own easy. We loved being in Helsinki at Market Square and docking up the Neva in St. Petersburg this summer!

Because it is a small ship there are not as many activities offered and I would say that the Itinerary has to be the dominate reason for choosing it over the less expensive choices with the mid-sized cruise lines, including Celebrity, as it is a very laid back atmosphere and there's not as much to do on sea days, which is fine with me!

The Cabaret shows aren't spectacular but the small group of performers are usually excellent (and CD Russ is fabulous). AZ does excel with their complimentary Azamara Evening and the two I have attended were excellent.

When I can justify the difference in costs, I would choose Azamara, but we are more than happy with Celebrity, who we are cruising again with this November.

Turangi!

If you have never been on a small ship, you owe it to yourself to try Azamara. We started sailing with Celebrity and liked it, but once we tried the small ships, we would never go back to ships like what Celebrity sails.

I recommend that you find an itinerary on AZ that appeals and give it a try to see if it is your cup of tea. IMHO, AZ is quite a bit more upscale than X, and it's not just because AZ is more inclusive. It's just a higher quality product. The ships are smaller so on AZ there is less going on. You need to either depend upon the ports, or entertain yourselves. But with the smaller ship and the intimacy, you will meet and get to know lots of fellow passengers, and that might appeal to you. For me, I will sail X again only if the itinerary meets my needs, while I look at AZ all the time and find it very appealing.

In spite of being owned by the same parent company these two lines are very different. Small ships mean a much more personal service and a chance to get to ports that the bigger ships can't. This small ship experience isn't for everyone. I'd say do a 7 day cruise or less to try out and see if you like them. I did a seven day cruise with Azamara as my first with them in 2011 and now prefer them to Celebrity.

We are loyal to Celebrity and Azamara with a thrown in RCI here and there.

We have cruised almost every Celebrity ship including the century in 2010. We have always been in suites, mostly Royal and celebrity suites, a sky suite once or twice if it is one of the bigger ones on the aft.

Azamara only in Owner's suites aft.

If you are looking for night life and more to do onboard and more dining/bar variety and no interaction with senior officers then Celebrity is the the better choice especially with the lawn club on the s-class ships and renting a cabana for the length of the cruise like we do, a nice oasis with bar/food service throughout.

If staff/officer interaction, longer/overnight port visits, more inclusive offerings, smaller ship with surprise itinerary treats on occassion that bigger ships cannot accomplish, LESS PEOPLE, more relaxed dress (no formal nights), a more professional crowd, and the best service from the crew we have ever experienced, and a seemingly happier atmosphere overall...the Azamara hands down.

Our take is that if you truly want to get the most out of the places you visit without worrying about time, the one-way itineraries (giving more B2B options), and the ability to visit places most cruise lines do not, then Azamara cannot be beat.

If you enjoy all a ship has to offer with greater variety in entertainment, amenities, dining, more cruising sea days, bigger cabins, and the round trip routes...then Celebrity is the better choice.

We choose Celebrity when typically cruising with friends and looking to party more on our vacation. We choose Azamara when we are looking to see the world more and experience that upper level of service both onboard and onshore.

I pretty much said the same thing in several different ways, meet me in the bar and the descriptions get even more repetitive and colorful :)

Edited by LOP

We are loyal to Celebrity and Azamara with a thrown in RCI here and there.

We have cruised almost every Celebrity ship including the century in 2010. We have always been in suites, mostly Royal and celebrity suites, a sky suite once or twice if it is one of the bigger ones on the aft.

Azamara only in Owner's suites aft.

If you are looking for night life and more to do onboard and more dining/bar variety and no interaction with senior officers then Celebrity is the the better choice especially with the lawn club on the s-class ships and renting a cabana for the length of the cruise like we do, a nice oasis with bar/food service throughout.

If staff/officer interaction, longer/overnight port visits, more inclusive offerings, smaller ship with surprise itinerary treats on occassion that bigger ships cannot accomplish, LESS PEOPLE, more relaxed dress (no formal nights), a more professional crowd, and the best service from the crew we have ever experienced, and a seemingly happier atmosphere overall...the Azamara hands down.

Our take is that if you truly want to get the most out of the places you visit without worrying about time, the one-way itineraries (giving more B2B options), and the ability to visit places most cruise lines do not, then Azamara cannot be beat.

If you enjoy all a ship has to offer with greater variety in entertainment, amenities, dining, more cruising sea days, bigger cabins, and the round trip routes...then Celebrity is the better choice.

We choose Celebrity when typically cruising with friends and looking to party more on our vacation. We choose Azamara when we are looking to see the world more and experience that upper level of service both onboard and onshore.

I pretty much said the same thing in several different ways, meet me in the bar and the descriptions get even more repetitive and colorful :)

Love your post and completely agree.

Will see you in the bar. What are you drinking?:D

Love your post and completely agree.

Will see you in the bar. What are you drinking?:D

Thanks. I will be there, and something either clear or brown with/or without either a cube of ice or a drop of water:cool: