Breakaway Hurricane News 10/9

carol54

There really is no way to compare this cruise to a scheduled PC/Bahamas cruise. If you live in Florida then I would imagine a bahamas cruise would bemuch cheaper when leaving from Florida. Out of NY prices are pretty much the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There really is no way to compare this cruise to a scheduled PC/Bahamas cruise. If you live in Florida then I would imagine a bahamas cruise would bemuch cheaper when leaving from Florida. Out of NY prices are pretty much the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

And almost all cruises out of NYC are expensive...as they seems to always fill the ships..and no need to do discounts and last minute price drops....:mad:

AND...my prayers for the people of Bermuda..

Edited by jaja

I am writing regarding our recent cruise on NCL Breakaway departing October 9, 2016.

We were well aware that there were 2 hurricane systems going on at the time we were to cruise and I had called on 2 different occasions to see if there were any changes and I was told we were going as planned.

After we arrived on the ship then NCL decided to tell us what we knew already, that we were not going to Bermuda.

We didn't mind the port changes so much, but the places we were heading to were greatly affected by a cat 4 hurricane just days before and the times we were going were so short and late that there was nothing to do once we got there particularly the main stop in Bahamas from 3-9. The shops close at 5, it gets dark around 6:30, by time you actually got off the ship you really only had an hour to do a beach if they were even open or shop The Bahamas is really not a place to wonder around at night, so really the entire vacation would be spent on the ship. When I looked at the freestyle daily of things to do the next day that's where I made up my mind to leave.

To my disappointment the interary on board was awful. It was mostly all health related

• Cellulite solution Consultation

• Guitar Melodies with Melvin Harold

• Detox for health & weight loss

• Guess the weight of the sculpture

• Informal gathering of veterans

• Relieving back pain with good feet

• Body sculpt boot camp

• Pain and arthritis solutions

• Puffy eye workshop

• 30,000 years of art history

• Simple facelift

• Latin cardio fitness

Also there was nothing to do the first night but drink because most activities were cancelled from still being in port overnight. NCL played a movie outdoors and people were sitting in the hallway instead because it was just too cold to be outside so 2 days were already a bust and Ii was getting a bad feeling the entire cruise was headed that way.

I realize the weather cannot be predicted, but how NCL planned to make our vacation enjoyable was what had us wanting to be home instead and that is really a big disappointment. i called the insurance co. and they said under those circumstances i will have no problem getting a refund or credit towards another trip

Where did you want your ship to sail? I am hearing folks complain, but not putting forth a reasonable resolution? You cannot get out of the port---what did you want NCL to do? Dig up a circus act and find some outdoor heaters? and then, what other ports can you do within your 7 day cruise? I am with the majority saying to enjoy the ship, have your drink, and relax.....you weren't held hostage on that ship-you could have left. If you have a challenge finding something to do on a mega ship for 24 hours in the port of NY then perhaps it isn't NCL that has the problem here.

"Most" would rather go to Canada, where it was in the 50s today, and not somewhere warmer like they thought Bermuda would be? Not sure you can say "most" would be "pretty happy" with Canada, as it seems like the complainers just want money back for having their plans change. I for one (if I had been on that particular sailing) would have paid them EXTRA to not go to Canada. LOL

We would have actually been fine with this and even packed an extra sweater and jacket just in case we got to the port and were told we couldn't sail south because of Matthew. Any port in Canada or New England would be better than Port Canaveral and Nassau -- warmer or not, you're not even given enough time there to visit a beach!

We would have actually been fine with this and even packed an extra sweater and jacket just in case we got to the port and were told we couldn't sail south because of Matthew. Any port in Canada or New England would be better than Port Canaveral and Nassau -- warmer or not, you're not even given enough time there to visit a beach!

Any northern port being better than Port Canaveral is totally your opinion, but not everyone's. I, like I've said before, canceled my Canadian cruise to be in warmer weather - so I would prefer to be floating on a ship in Florida waters, even if I couldn't get OFF the ship for days! I would make the best of going to Canada, but I have to respectfully disagree with your opinion :)

Edited by mchelle77

First and foremost, prayers for those who live in Bermuda. It's one of my favorite places on earth and is filled with kind, warm, genuine people.

As others point out, you trade the lower cost of cruising in Oct for the uncertainty that comes with hurricane season. While you keep your fingers crossed that everything will be fine, it's a crap shoot sailing in Oct.

The North Atlantic can be a bit rough in regular weather, nearly unbearable in bad weather.

As far as itinerary changes, sounds like NCL did the best they could and spent up to the very last moments trying to secure replacement port(s).

Regarding "freebies"....really don't know what to say. Sailing the Atlantic around Bermuda during hurricane season is a big risk, as already mentioned. Safety should come first. So, I understand some OBC was given, which was a nice gesture, but weather is something NCL can not control.

Others point out, plenty of places on a cruise ship to spend money. If you don't want to spend it, I suppose that's up to you. I would spend all of it, though.

First and foremost, prayers for those who live in Bermuda. It's one of my favorite places on earth and is filled with kind, warm, genuine people.

As others point out, you trade the lower cost of cruising in Oct for the uncertainty that comes with hurricane season. While you keep your fingers crossed that everything will be fine, it's a crap shoot sailing in Oct.

The North Atlantic can be a bit rough in regular weather, nearly unbearable in bad weather.

As far as itinerary changes, sounds like NCL did the best they could and spent up to the very last moments trying to secure replacement port(s).

Regarding "freebies"....really don't know what to say. Sailing the Atlantic around Bermuda during hurricane season is a big risk, as already mentioned. Safety should come first. So, I understand some OBC was given, which was a nice gesture, but weather is something NCL can not control.

Others point out, plenty of places on a cruise ship to spend money. If you don't want to spend it, I suppose that's up to you. I would spend all of it, though.

All good points but many of them don't care because other cruise lines offered better. I have yet to see any scenario, other than Disney, that is even comparable. I feel bad because they were so upset they never gave the vacation a chance. As I've said before I've done vacations where it rained all week and we had to adjust. The money is spent either way, why not make the best of it.

Answer to the question of why do we book during hurricane season...

Well in our case it's because that's when we got married. If we want to celebrate an anniversary (which was the case for our recent cruise), kinda gotta travel on or around that date. I guess we should have considered hurricane season back when we were planning our wedding in Upstate, NY. :rolleyes:

Well, for some reason my original response to this very comment was deleted.

We don't cruise in October to be cheap, we cruise because we are celebrating a birthday. Of 16 cruises, we have never run into a problem in October. All the bad weather and storms we hit were on August sailings. So it's a gamble, but for some people the month they sail in may not be an option if it is for school or celebratory reasons.

Edited by Wyoming2010

Wow, you are acting like I'm trying to get you to pay for my trip. Not sure if I came across nasty but I was just voicing my own opinion on not wanting to go to a port with nothing to do( pc)& going to a nice place for only a short time ( Bahamas). If we headed right to Bahamas and actually had a chance to enjoy the island that would have been different. I never said I was complaining that I wanted my money back or to be treated extra special, I also had said I knew we were no way going to Bermuda. And I was just giving examples of the itinerary for the ship that we're all geared to health & fitness, that I absolutely had no interest in. I'm not sure why some of you are getting on the defense so much. I really was posting to the people who were on the same cruise. P.S. I did get off the ship

Disappointing yes.

If anyone on the ship wants to trade places with me I would be happy to board. Being on Breakaway is waaay better than being at work!

Take a look at what happened to RCI Grandeur of the Seas between leaving Baltimore yesterday on a Bermuda trip and today....They are now headed for Port Liberty, Bayonne NJ.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2410797

I hope you all can just enjoy the ship and hopefully calmer seas (and passengers!) tomorrow.

Safe Sailing!

P.S. Go to Malting's for drinks and say hi to Elliot. He's a great bartender

Great Post! If I was on this cruise, would be SO RELIEVED we were not sailing to Nova Scotia........which has happened. Soooooo...tropical climate and an AMAZING Ship!

I think I really hate the weather channel. Peoples homes are being destroyed, and these guys get all giddy and smiley in the middle of a storm.

Well I don't know if they are giddy, but these are egghead meteorologists. These storms are like a big deal for them, they get excited about weather. I don't think they want to see anyone suffer. They also know the seriousness and try to warn people well in advance.

I think the pro-Canada crowd is forgetting how much the loss of a pool affects a cruise. The one day it rained on our at-sea day on our Western Caribbean cruise last year sucked bad. I know the Breakaway is better than the ship I was on (the Vision) but it's still limited and really an outdoors cruise ship. They don't even have an indoor pool available (unless you pay!)!!

I'm going to be pissed if this week's Breakaway diverts to Canada instead of PC/Nassau. I even splurged for a balcony - it'd be a complete waste. I'd even take the crappy port times if it means warm weather.

I think the pro-Canada crowd is forgetting how much the loss of a pool affects a cruise. The one day it rained on our at-sea day on our Western Caribbean cruise last year sucked bad. I know the Breakaway is better than the ship I was on (the Vision) but it's still limited and really an outdoors cruise ship. They don't even have an indoor pool available (unless you pay!)!!

I'm going to be pissed if this week's Breakaway diverts to Canada instead of PC/Nassau. I even splurged for a balcony - it'd be a complete waste. I'd even take the crappy port times if it means warm weather.

They won't go to Canada. Breakaway doesn't even do Canadian cruises, it would be a hot mess. You are going south I imagine. I'm reading that there is major infastructure damage in Bermuda.

While I love warm weather, I would prefer to see some place new if Bermuda weren't an option. I would much rather we had a Canada/NE cruise over Nassau and Port Canaveral. I already have a much cheaper cruise going to the Bahamas in March.

I would love warmer, but really think PC is a waste of time stopping there, I would prefer something more like Key West if that were a possibility. Nassau and PC I wouldn't even get off the ship.

Source on the infrastructure damage?

Royal Gazette, Bermudian newspaper.

5pm update

Hurricane Nicole is continuing farther out into the Atlantic, with the National Hurricane Centre at 3pm putting its eye 90 miles northeast of the island.

Nicole has caused serious damage to the island’s infrastructure, causing walls and roads to collapse, tearing roofs off buildings, ripping up trees, smashing boats against rocks and flooding numerous homes and roads.

Walls are said to be damaged along the Causeway, which is being assessed.

Flooding victims included Victor Scott Primary School, while Bailey’s Bay Cricket Club’s structure suffered extensive damage. Residents near Elbow Beach report a significant outflow from a broken pipe. Other details of damage are coming through to us this afternoon as residents emerge cautiously from their homes.

Edited by Rileyz

5pm update

Hurricane Nicole is continuing farther out into the Atlantic, with the National Hurricane Centre at 3pm putting its eye 90 miles northeast of the island.

Nicole has caused serious damage to the island’s infrastructure, causing walls and roads to collapse, tearing roofs off buildings, ripping up trees, smashing boats against rocks and flooding numerous homes and roads.

Flooding victims included Victor Scott Primary School, while Bailey’s Bay Cricket Club’s structure suffered extensive damage. Residents near Elbow Beach report a significant outflow from a broken pipe. Other details of damage are coming through to us this afternoon as residents emerge cautiously from their homes.

Looks like Ncl made the right decision regarding Breakaway itinenary

I'm on this Sunday's BA sailing. I was thinking of canceling for a number of personal things going on at home. Now I don't even know what to pack. I'm waiting to see where they send the Dawn tomorrow. I know these are minor issues compared to what Bermudians are dealing with now and what the NE coast dealt with last week.

5pm update

We will continue to pray for Bermuda and its people.

Marion

You're not at work and you're on vacation. What's the problem? It's hurricane season so you have to roll with it.

I totally agree! Being on a cruise ship is better than being at work....But just in case, how do I get trip insurance for a cruise leaving 10/23/2016. My good friends in Bermuda say the island has NO power at all. The eye of the storm is passing from 2-4pm today. I can literally have fun anywhere!

Maybe help rebuild?? My friends' husband takes care of the Queen's Estate in Bermuda and if they need help and we are there, maybe we will meet the Princes and the Princess Kate??

Edited by mommapajamma
added to message