Breakaway Hurricane News 10/9

carol54

Shouting at guest services! Some guy screaming at guest services ... he is a police officer ... lots of ship's officers around

All of you are off your rockers! With everything going on in this world.. you are all being such babies!!!!!!

from what i heard passenger acted horrible towards customer service yesterday, how in the world is this anyone fault? being rude and offensive to the Staff?Crew is horrible behavior,and the ones that acted like that should be ashamed of themselves!

somebody said their wife was throwing things and another was sobbing on a couch .....I cant believe what I'm reading, and I'm sure there are many many more stories like this.

I wonder how these same folks would have acted if the Captain had left and put the passengers and his crew in harms way????? what then??? The same fools would have acted like crazy people at that point.

You all got $200 OBC something they didn't have to give. You are still on a beautiful ship with a crew that is working very hard to make you all happy.

Please just remember to treat them with respect, this is nobody's fault, in fact the Captain should be thanked for keeping everyone safe.

still no cooking or cleaning for a week and great entertainment on top of that, if somebody sees someone being rude to the crew,please go over to that crew member and make their day by thanking them for all they do.

Everybody signed an agreement that clearly states that no port is guarantee

and even a cruise could be canceled all together.....it pays to read before you sign.

If a destination is very important to you, then why not take a plane!

Suck it up Buttercup ........enjoy the ship

Marion

Funny that people book cruises in early October and then complain about itinerary changes due to hurricanes. When Sandy caused the 9 day Gem Caribbean Cruise into 13 days, spending 10/31/12 in unscheduled Boston, NCL did not charge anything extra, we were fed and entertained for 4 days and we could have taken a 5 day cruise to Bermuda in an inside cabin by only paying the one day port fee.

We are platinum cruisers on NCL, and have also cruised on RCL and celebrity. We frequently cruise to Bermuda or the Caribbean in hurricane season. Why? The prices are MUCH lower in September and October, especially October, and we usually can afford a suite in October that we wouldn't be able to touch in May or June. But we know the risk.

Although we do not like either the Bahamas or Canada, and would never book a cruise to either location again after the first time, we were diverted to Canada once, to Nassau once, and on a 3rd cruise we lost a day in Bermuda once when captain decided to leave early. I do not want to sail through a hurricane; I also do not want to sail to a port that has lost significant services / power, or has roads flooded or out etc because it was just hit by a hurricane. So, we hope it doesn't happen, but know the weather is unpredictable, and are willing to take the risk because the price point is so much more attractive.

Many people are saying that because Bermuda is a more expensive itinerary, they ought to get the difference between the itinerary they are getting and the one they paid for. Well, that depends entirely on the season. Yes, sailing to Bermuda in June is far more expensive than sailing to the Bahamas, because June is high season for Bermuda, and it is low season for the Bahamas. But right now, an inside on Breakaway from New York to Bermuda for the last two weeks in October is TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS LESS EXPENSIVE than an inside to the Bahamas the last week in October, when the itinerary changes. A balcony to Bermuda is the same price as an inside to Bahamas. Again, it is always less expensive to sail during hurricane season, and I have always assumed that the unpredictability of the weather is at least a material part of the reason for that.

For us, it is very disappointing not to go to the ports we booked to go to, but a day on a cruise is better than a day at work.

However you must also look at the Bahamas cruise on the Breakaway is $669 I think for an inside on Oct 30, while the Escape Bahamas cruise on the 29th is $399 per person. For that comparison the Bahamas is a cheaper cruise - point people are trying to make is if they wanted to go to the Bahamas they would have booked a cheaper cruise out of Florida.

For me personally the expense of a flight to either NY, or FL are pretty much equal and the hotels in FL are way cheaper. Our NY hotel is $428 for the night, while I could do really nice ones in Florida for around $150 range, not to mention shuttle service if needed is cheaper in Florida too. So I can truly see the point of the Bahamas being a cheaper cruise as if you wanted that option you wouldn't have booked it from NY.

Edited by mom2tcdx2

I understand the anger of the passengers a little better now, but nothing excuses abusing the CS staff.

That said, while the point that the cruise cost is higher than it would cost to have intentionally done that same itinerary has some merit, I'm have a difficult time seeing an obvious right/wrong here. That wasn't true with the Seattle situation (where NCL was eventually forced to do the right thing). Weather is a wildcard.

Does anyone know what other lines were doing in the exact same scenario? I know several lines offered refunds for those wishing to cancel altered itins due to Matthew (for example, Disney).

Reports of adults acting like a mob at Wal-Mart on Black Friday doesn't engender much sympathy either way.

Perhaps NCL could offer the $200 obc or $200 off next cruise for the passengers. Hopefully you can make the choice on your TV screen so you can leave the staff out of it at the front desk.

Make 2 lines at the desk: step to the right for an OBC and step to the left for the $200 off next cruise. anyone in the middle, follow me to the door with your luggage--get off the ship. How about that? Oh, and no refunds for walking off the ship--you had plenty of time to read your cruise contract while standing in line waiting to complain. I am sure it was pointed out in there somewhere.

I think NCL's problem is they didn't even tell anyone before getting on the ship, the notice of the change wasn't even posted until after 6 pm. I understand they possibly had logistics to work out as to where the ship could go, but NCL should have offered a refund if you didn't wish to go or a better cruise credit, option etc. A $200 OBC is a joke, however hoping it is refundable so that if you already had a lot of stuff prepaid you could still take that money as a refund. If they only offer it as something you have to spend on board then it is a waste for a lot of people.

Carnival, Royal and Disney all offered credits to keep the cruise as well as giving a discount off a future cruise. By far those lines are making NCL look worse and worse every day with their crappy business decisions.

Here's to hoping nothing goes too awry in Bermuda this week so that we are still able to go on our sailing next week.

Both my wife and I are disappointed and upset. We both know that NCL doesn't control the weather but that doesn't change the fact that fact that months of planning and thousands of dollars have now been spent on what may turn out to be an incredibly disappointing trip. Are we going to try and make the best of it? Absolutely, but at this point we don't know anything about what the future holds for our trip. We haven't gone down to Guest Services, we haven't yelled and screamed at anyone. Currently we're sitting in our cabin licking our wounds.

To those that are saying, "this is what you get when you book during hurricane season" please take a moment to realize what a jerk you sound like. The cruise lines obviously offer itineraries during times of the year that they feel they can safely sail. I'm sure most of realize that nothing is certain, weather is unpredictable but to essentially say, "you're getting what you deserve" is pretty tactless. None of us asked for this to happen, we picked a sailing date that was offered to us, we didn't force NCL to offer October Bermuda dates.

My wife and I booked this trip ten months ago. Since then she's been laid off from her job, gone on unemployment and found a new job. Somehow we've still managed to make this trip happen despite her not having any vacation days at her new job, this entire week off for her is unpaid. We scrapped every penny we had and fought hard for months for this one week of fun in Bermuda and a few expensive days in NYC.

So yeah, it's a lot easier said than done to be super happy about the possibility of heading to Florida and the Bahamas at this point. I could have planned that trip on my own with a lot less effort and expense.

Good Luck, that stinks, and I agree, no need for such animosity. We were on a Carnival cruise with our children and did not get to the Cayman Islands. Sat on the ship and looked at them. They did nothing, zip, zilch. Just floated by...We have hit storms in June and October. You never know. Hope it all works out for you.

However you must also look at the Bahamas cruise on the Breakaway is $669 I think for an inside on Oct 30, while the Escape Bahamas cruise on the 29th is $399 per person. For that comparison the Bahamas is a cheaper cruise - point people are trying to make is if they wanted to go to the Bahamas they would have booked a cheaper cruise out of Florida.

For me personally the expense of a flight to either NY, or FL are pretty much equal and the hotels in FL are way cheaper. Our NY hotel is $428 for the night, while I could do really nice ones in Florida for around $150 range, not to mention shuttle service if needed is cheaper in Florida too. So I can truly see the point of the Bahamas being a cheaper cruise as if you wanted that option you wouldn't have booked it from NY.

For me, and I would guess most of the passengers, it's pretty equal, since we cruise from ports in driving distance. I always wonder why people fly into NYC for cruises, since they are significantly more expensive than those out of other ports, and hotel and transportation costs are so high.

For me, and I would guess most of the passengers, it's pretty equal, since we cruise from ports in driving distance. I always wonder why people fly into NYC for cruises, since they are significantly more expensive than those out of other ports, and hotel and transportation costs are so high.

For me I almost consider anything on the East coast as possible driving distance. I have driven all the way to Miami, however our closest port is Baltimore. I am sick of Bahamas cruises and why I don't pick anything out of Baltimore that often. I booked Bermuda for it being something different and still moderately close that we are taking the trains. I could have still saved probably over $1000 when taking into account also the travel costs and gone to Florida instead. But we chose Bermuda for different. I wouldn't overly be happy either if my trip were changed. Though I think I would have preferred they opted for a Canada/NE trip as at least for me personally that would have still be something new.

For me I almost consider anything on the East coast as possible driving distance. I have driven all the way to Miami, however our closest port is Baltimore. I am sick of Bahamas cruises and why I don't pick anything out of Baltimore that often. I booked Bermuda for it being something different and still moderately close that we are taking the trains. I could have still saved probably over $1000 when taking into account also the travel costs and gone to Florida instead. But we chose Bermuda for different. I wouldn't overly be happy either if my trip were changed. Though I think I would have preferred they opted for a Canada/NE trip as at least for me personally that would have still be something new.

Lol I consider anything under 4 hours driving distance with my family (5 kids, any longer than that, we take 2 vans). I was just saying to DH that I, too, would be happier with Canada than the Bahamas again. I assume the BA can't just fit at any port though.

Please help me understand something, so how is all of this NCL's fault? Did they cause the storm? So are you all saying you would rather have gone gone out in bad weather, and hit bad waves on your way to Bermuda and possibly put you your family and the crews/ staff life's at risk? ok that make perfect sense!

Please help me understand something, so how is all of this NCL's fault? Did they cause the storm? So are you all saying you would rather have gone gone out in bad weather, and hit bad waves on your way to Bermuda and possibly put you your family and the crews/ staff life's at risk? ok that make perfect sense!

I think the point is that, unlike other cruise lines that gave people the option to cancel when an itinerary was significantly changed due to Matthew (example, Disney), NCL waited until the last minute to inform pax of the changes, and are only offering a paltry OBC. I suppose one could argue that they waited until the last minute to avoid having to offer cancellations.

I think it's less about the randomness of the weather and more that the other cruise lines have made NCL look cheap and shady.

I think the point is that, unlike other cruise lines that gave people the option to cancel when an itinerary was significantly changed due to Matthew (example, Disney), NCL waited until the last minute to inform pax of the changes, and are only offering a paltry OBC. I suppose one could argue that they waited until the last minute to avoid having to offer cancellations.

I think it's less about the randomness of the weather and more that the other cruise lines have made NCL look cheap and shady.

It is very rare for cruise lines to cancel and offer refunds - 99.9% of the time, they're-route and offer some OBC.

It is very rare for cruise lines to cancel and offer refunds - 99.9% of the time, they're-route and offer some OBC.

It isn't that the cruise lines cancel, but when they have rerouted for something quite different than the original booking - customers on Carnival, Disney and Royal were offered the option to cancel and receive a full refund - NCL offered nothing.

Point blank if I had been on the sailing with the price I paid for a Bermuda cruise, I could have driven to Florida and taken a Bahamas cruise for less money - period!!! So if the Bahamas is what I wanted then that is what I would have done and would have saved myself about $1000 to boot. At least if they had done a Canada NE cruise (IMO) would have been better than the stupid Bahamas. And if the Anthem can sail into the Canada/NE ports there is no problem for the Breakaway to do it.

Yes it was crappy of them to not make a change until 6 pm when clearly they had access to the same darn weather info everyone had on their phones. They should have provided better options. Would I have cancelled no - would I have been happy with the change no. But I would have already had the time off from work.

It isn't that the cruise lines cancel, but when they have rerouted for something quite different than the original booking - customers on Carnival, Disney and Royal were offered the option to cancel and receive a full refund - NCL offered nothing.

Point blank if I had been on the sailing with the price I paid for a Bermuda cruise, I could have driven to Florida and taken a Bahamas cruise for less money - period!!! So if the Bahamas is what I wanted then that is what I would have done and would have saved myself about $1000 to boot. At least if they had done a Canada NE cruise (IMO) would have been better than the stupid Bahamas. And if the Anthem can sail into the Canada/NE ports there is no problem for the Breakaway to do it.

Yes it was crappy of them to not make a change until 6 pm when clearly they had access to the same darn weather info everyone had on their phones. They should have provided better options. Would I have cancelled no - would I have been happy with the change no. But I would have already had the time off from work.

So how well did RCL do with their change of itinerary, made when people were already on the ship, with some not even able to get on in time? Instead of Bermuda, they are docked in NJ! Bayonne!

Ahhh. MAybe the weather man could not tell the Captain how much clearance BA would have under V.N. bridge with the storm surge and swells.

Edited by biker@sea

Good Luck, that stinks, and I agree, no need for such animosity. We were on a Carnival cruise with our children and did not get to the Cayman Islands. Sat on the ship and looked at them. They did nothing, zip, zilch. Just floated by...We have hit storms in June and October. You never know. Hope it all works out for you.

Why are you sitting in your cabin licking your wounds? why not go out and enjoy all what the ship has to offer! I don't understand!!

So how well did RCL do with their change of itinerary, made when people were already on the ship, with some not even able to get on in time? Instead of Bermuda, they are docked in NJ! Bayonne!

You are so right. RCL has their ship in NJ until tomorrow. What a great cruise that is.

Heard Nova Scotia also had bad weather so can understand why NCL didn't go to Canada.