14-Night Buenos Aires to Valparaiso

nadalina

Good morning, All.

Cruising around Cape Horn and through the Straight of Magellan is on my grandfather’s bucket list, so I am doing some research for him. Our family are all experienced cruisers but never in this part of the world. I would really appreciate any input, comments and suggestions you might have. Specifically, I have these questions:

1. Are the seas around the Horn always extremely rough or are they somewhat unpredictable?

2. Is having a balcony cabin an absolute must, like, for instance, in Alaska?

3. We are considering three cruise lines: Holland America, Princess and Celebrity. If you have any experience for this particular cruise on any of these three lines, I would appreciate your comments. (We have been on all three lines, just not for this type of cruise.)

I look forward to hearing your responses and really appreciate your time.

Peggy

1. We have been around the Horn twice. The first time the waters were as smooth as glass. The second time, rougher, but not too bad.

2. I think so, but I almost always get a balcony

3. Both of our trips to this area were with Princess. Everything was excellent

Good morning, All.

Cruising around Cape Horn and through the Straight of Magellan is on my grandfather’s bucket list, so I am doing some research for him. Our family are all experienced cruisers but never in this part of the world. I would really appreciate any input, comments and suggestions you might have. Specifically, I have these questions:

1. Are the seas around the Horn always extremely rough or are they somewhat unpredictable?

2. Is having a balcony cabin an absolute must, like, for instance, in Alaska?

3. We are considering three cruise lines: Holland America, Princess and Celebrity. If you have any experience for this particular cruise on any of these three lines, I would appreciate your comments. (We have been on all three lines, just not for this type of cruise.)

I look forward to hearing your responses and really appreciate your time.

Peggy

Peggy, I will add some additional comments.

The odds say you will have some rough seas on this cruise but it may or may not happen around the horn. We have been around the horn several times. It ranged from very rough seas, to somewhat rough seas to no rough sea. The weather can turn quickly. My advice is to prepare for rough sea in terms of what you might bring with you to prevent sea sickness but hope for the best.

It is not a must to get a balcony. Personally I am a believer that the best views come from the open deck. If the price is not a big difference I would do it but if it is more money than you would like to spend I would skip it and use the money for other things such as shore excursions.

I have been on all three lines but not on this itinerary. My view is to look closely at the itineraries. If they are relatively equal than make the decision not only base on the cruise line but about the cruise ship.

It's a fabulous itinerary. I highly recommend it. Remember on this itinerary the further north you are the warmer it is and the further south you go it get cold and windy. So you need clothing for the warm (in some cases hot) weather as well as the cool/cold weather.

Keith

Did a similar itinerary in Spring of 2015. We boarded the Ruby Princess in FLL and disembarked the ship in Valpariso, spending a total of 32 days onboard. We made all the important ports, including the Falkland Islands, and Ushuaia. The day we rounded the Horn was rainy and windy, and seas were a bit rough .... too wet and bumpy to be comfortable outside .... but it was still a great experience just to be there. The overall cruise was one of the best I have taken.

Good to read these comments. We just booked a Feb 1 cruise BA-Valparaiso and then wrapped independent land travel around both sides. Too late to change now.

Do we need warm clothes for excursions? We are used to cold weather however we typically travel with carry on only. We will be travelling for 8 weeks in warm weather climates, these few days will be the only cool ones.

We travel with a waterproof shell. Will a good layered sweater be enough? Gloves?

Loved my South American cruise on Golden Princess in Jan 2015: hot and very humid in Rio. Hot snd dryer in Buenos Aires, Montevideo, and Valparaiso/Santiago (for Chile think inland California in the summer). It was cold and wet for the Falklands. cold and sunny for Ushuaia, the Horn, Glaciers, and Punta Arenas

I firmly recommend you do excursion on Falklands to see Gentoo Penguins. And don't wait for Punta Arenas.

I had a balcony and the only time I did NOT enjoy it was on the River Platte at night. Too many bugs attracted to my balcony light. Otherwise. It was perfect!

Sun is much stronger in Southern Hemisphere. Do not under use or forget sunscreen. I got a bad sunburn on both shins after 30/45 mins at 7:15 am waiting for massage.

This is a very great cruise and you will love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Go to Princess Crown, Dec 21 Valpraiso to Rio round the Horn. We are booked on it, not filled yet and lots to do.Prices are down now also We arrive Santiago 17th and stay in Rio 3 days after. He can tag with us or come along. We party like mad til 9 PM some nights.! BWAHAHA Hoo boy! It will be fun.