RCI Cruisers I need your input!

Hi! So I haven't really sailed since before the whole ala carte pricing became popular on Royal. They now have beverage packages, internet packages and purchasing specialty restaurants before boarding. I'm trying to figure out what is worth the $$.

So I drink on cruises but mostly wine. My fiancé will be for sure having beer. Do those that drink moderately - heavy on board feel like the package is worth the money? Also I used to just buy a cruising package through Verizon. Is the internet package they offer reliable? Worth the $$?

Also I've never been on a ship with a Giovannis. I've done Chops and Portofino. My fiancé is a huge steak guy so I'm pre booking Chops. What does cruise critic think of Giovannis? Thank you all for your input!!!

Giovanni's is the BEST. If you want to save a few $$, go for lunch! We just purchased the drink package for the first time. We are light drinkers, only having a glass of wine with dinner, BUT when we cruise, we turn into 2 crazy alcoholics..lol. We love the thought of not worrying what our bill will be like at the end of the cruise.

Edited by champagne123
ssssss

This will be our first time purchasing the drink package so I won't know for sure how we will feel when it is all said and done. I can tell you I am NOT a big drinker but I usually enjoy a couple by the pool and one before dinner. This may not be a cost saver for me but my girls (adults) love wine with dinner and after dinner cordials is our tradition for the souvenir glasses! You might want to check your cruise planner because this weekend I found a 30% discount on the drink packages.

Thanks for the replies so far!!

Clarea I think I could easily do 3 beers and 6 glasses of wine a day. He could do 5 or 6 beers a day

Champagne that's good to hear about Giovannis! lol

Figure the beers will average $6, if that's all you are drinking, than that would not equal the $55 daily price of the package.

With 3 beers and 6 glasses of wine, you're up to $90 if you get $12 glasses of wine, or $60 if you get $7 glasses of wine. Either way you are ahead with the package.

Also, check your Cruise Planner because you may find a discount on the Deluxe package that may make it economical for the beer drinker too.

FYI,Giovanni's filet is just as good,some say better, as the Chops steak. If you enjoy risotto you may like GT better. Why not wait til on board and look at both menus before you book? If you book on your first day, you will have no problem getting the time you want.

The other thing to consider (which is what made me order the deluxe package) is if you are going to buy either the soda or refreshment package either way, then since those are included in the deluxe, you do not have to drink much alcohol before switching to the deluxe makes sense. $38/day was the cost of deluxe on our sailing yesterday, and I was going to get at least the refreshment for the pop and bottled water.

Souvenir glasses are NOT covered by any package...just so you know...nor are any items that might be in the cabin fridge or room service.

Wine is REALLY pricey on the ship, so if you do lots of wine, you'll come out ahead, unless you're really picky. Even the beer is outrageous...$6.95 or so for a 16oz ....highway robbery, IMO!

Included beverages are: ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot) lemonade or flavored water, milk and juice at breakfast.

We prefer Giovanne's too. I also like Sabor and Izumi's. Chops Grill comes in third.

Huge mark-up on all things alcohol. We had some people dine with us the last cruise that had purchased the seven bottle package hoping to use it in the bars too, but they learned wine packages are limited to the Windjammer and the MDR.

Just bring your two bottles of wine on board on embarkation day and enjoy in your stateroom. In our stateroom, we can get a day or two more out of our wine bottles, since the waiters pour huge bottles in the MDR.

Edited by knittinggirl

Hi! So I haven't really sailed since before the whole ala carte pricing became popular on Royal. They now have beverage packages, internet packages and purchasing specialty restaurants before boarding. I'm trying to figure out what is worth the $$.

So I drink on cruises but mostly wine. My fiancé will be for sure having beer. Do those that drink moderately - heavy on board feel like the package is worth the money? Also I used to just buy a cruising package through Verizon. Is the internet package they offer reliable? Worth the $$?

Also I've never been on a ship with a Giovannis. I've done Chops and Portofino. My fiancé is a huge steak guy so I'm pre booking Chops. What does cruise critic think of Giovannis? Thank you all for your input!!!

On our recent Allure cruise we took part in one of their dinner packages... specifically 4 dinner package. The way this works is that you get a discounted price on the package, but you must agree to do one of the meals on day one or two of the cruise. Also you do not know what restaurant you get until you get on board. Once on board you schedule your meals. If I do this again I would probably go with a 3 night package and instead of signing up for dinner night one.. I would schedule the dinner for day two. Then when I get on board I would look for a deal for the first night. A couple we ran into were offered $30 for both of them at Chops on night one. You will find the waiters wandering around the prominade trying to sell you restaurants... I think this is a better deal for day one.

It appears that the breakeven point on the drink package is about 4 drinks a day. If you are looking at beer only it is probably a lot higher. I would bring the two 750ml bottles of wine that you are allowed to bring on board when you board and then purchase drinks separately. We are diamond, so we usually go to the diamond lounge during happy hour and have a few cocktails before dinner and then purchase a glass at dinner. We also bring a nice bottle of wine or two and bring them to the dining room. They do not charge for opening the wine, but I usually tip extra for it.

If you are willing to share you might consider getting internet for one device and then share it. You will have to have one device log off before the other one can log on, but do you both need to be on the internet at the same time?

Giovanni's is my favorite specialty restaurant.. then 150 Central Park. Giovanni has a more interesting menu to me, but the atmosphere in 150 is more romantic. If you get the dinner package you can go most(but not all) of their specialty restaurants, so I would suggest trying 150, if you purchase the package. By the way you can always order a Chops steak in the main dinning room. In the main dinning room they have several extra cost items (eg steak and lobster). As I understand it the steak is from Chops... probably prime... and they cook it in the kitchen for the main dinning room. That will cost less than going to Chops. Also you can get a whole lobster for a relatively modest add on...also in the dinning room. Remember on most 7 day cruises they serve lobster tails (not whole lobster) on the second formal night. It will be called the Fishermans platter. have fun

Thanks so much everyone! Im really appreciating all the input and tips! For the bogo dining do they guarantee you will get two different restaurants? Also does RCI have a list of wines and beers on their site. I don't know where to look on there.

Royal doesn't publish a list of wines & beers. All we have is what other posters have scanned/photographed and posted.

Beers: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46668454&postcount=12

Wines: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49238603&postcount=13

In doing your calculations, don't forget that you can bring two bottles of wine onboard with you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our first cruise on Carnival we had a bar bill around $900+ for the two of us. Since that time we have purchased the alcohol package when available. We purchase the one that allows all drinks (used to be premium). If you think about it, you could have a foo foo coffee before breakfast, a screwdriver or mimosa for breakfast, a couple of beers for lunch, grab a bottle of water before heading off the ship, and a drink or two before dinner, one at dinner and a few after dinner and you have covered your daily cost. You also get unlimited sodas. At that rate it works out for us but that doesn't it will work out for everyone. You can also be adventurous and try a drink you aren't sure you may like and not feel bad about not finishing it. I like knowing that no matter what my drink purchases don't add to our bottom line. You alone would know if it will work out for your situation.

Our first cruise on Carnival we had a bar bill around $900+ for the two of us. Since that time we have purchased the alcohol package when available. We purchase the one that allows all drinks (used to be premium). If you think about it, you could have a foo foo coffee before breakfast, a screwdriver or mimosa for breakfast, a couple of beers for lunch, grab a bottle of water before heading off the ship, and a drink or two before dinner, one at dinner and a few after dinner and you have covered your daily cost. You also get unlimited sodas. At that rate it works out for us but that doesn't it will work out for everyone. You can also be adventurous and try a drink you aren't sure you may like and not feel bad about not finishing it. I like knowing that no matter what my drink purchases don't add to our bottom line. You alone would know if it will work out for your situation.

Yeah when you break it down like that I think it will be good for us.