Review Viking Sea 25th Sept Empires of the Mediterranean.

Mrs Miggins

Returned from our first Viking Ocean last week. Have posted a little on the Azamara board saying how much we enjoyed this cruise. Loved the pre cruise booklets and luggage labels.

Flight and Embarkation: Good BA flight to Athens with excellent Viking transfer to Piraeus. Fast embarkation. Champagne on board. Excellent lunch.

Cabin ready almost immediately with bags on the bed.

Cabin 3036. Excellent spacious cabin with lovely bathroom, including large glass shower. Lots of storage in bathroom. Liked the desk area with lift up make up mirror. I am tall so had to stoop a little to see in the mirror. Double width wardrobe with shelf above, but only 3 drawers beneath the safe and under the shelf with the coffee machine. Only used this a couple of times - preferred to get from excellent coffee machine on Deck 1. Our room stewards were efficient and friendly. We got tea and scones/apple pie a couple of times from room service. Very quick.

Ship. The Sea is beautiful with wide open, light spaces. Loved the clean lines of the furnishings. Decor is light and bright. Comfortable sofas and chairs with absolutely no crowding even though our cruise was full. Fantastic selection of books throughout the ship. The Swimming Pool area was lovely. The roof closed overnight but open on all but one day, thanks to our great weather. Plenty of comfortable loungers.

Restaurants: We tried Manfredi's twice which was excellent and the Chef's Table 3 times. Loved the Chefs Table with wine pairings but the Oriental Menu was not as good as the other two we tried. The Restaurant was excellent and the Sirloin Steak on the Right Hand Side of the menu card (available every evening) was really good. We never had to wait for a table but only managed to share twice. The tables for two are plentiful and it is possible to chat to the tables nearby. The included wine suited our taste and was poured freely. We also used the Pool Grill a couple of times which was also good and easy to get a table in the sunshine. We went to World Cafe for breakfast which was excellent. We always managed to find a table outside with no problem. Mamsens had great cakes, waffles and open sandwiches. All in all I thought the food was marginally better than on Oceania and Azamara.

The Spa absolutely great. Loved the great big jacuzzi swimming pool, the very hot steam room and the refreshing ice room. First time in over 20 cruises that I have ever used a spa on board and it was excellent. Lovely shampoo, conditioner and body lotion.

Shops They are run by the same franchise as on Azamara and Oceania but have limited Designers and very limited stocks. There were many of us trying to use up OBC given because our original cruise bookings were cancelled.

Many times they only had the item on display and no back up. Even the lovely Boutique manager wished she had more items to offer.

Entertainment Enjoyed this very much. Really like the CD Heather Clancy. very charming, great voice, omnipresent. Great singers, only two dancers but that was fine. Enjoyed the shows in the Theatre and a really good deck party. Also good to enjoy the cabaret performances in the great little nightclub Torshaven. Tip - get tickets early as they run out. There is live music all around the ship.

Guest service Desks Excellent friendly service. especially the lovely Brna.

Excursions We took only the included excursions, which were excellent. There are 'whisper' sets in the cabins, so easy to hear any commentary even when lagging behind. We had visited all ports several times before except Kotor, Zadar and Koper. The shuttle bus service was great and we were impressed that this ran into Athens from the Piraeus every half hour. Also in Dubrovnik Corfu, and Zadar. Santorini was a mess in that there were 5 ships in port, so again there were long queues for the return cable car. It seems that all of the ships were leaving at more or less the same time. This really does need to be addressed with more co-operation between the cruise lines. Many of us have been to Santorini several times. I am unlikely to get off the ship next time which means a loss to the local economy.

Cruise Critic Meet and Greet Well attended by Viking. About 16 from cruise critic. However no-one actually took charge. It would have been nice to have been introduced to the Viking heavies - Only a 5 minute intervention would be needed to make the event more friendly.

I would love to cruise on this lovely ship again. My problem may be the very 'set' itineraries. I would love to explore the fjords but have already been to all other destinations on the Homelands Cruise. A friend is on a Caribbean Viking cruise next Tuesday so it will be interesting to see how she gets on. Anyway I guess the advantages of the ship may well mean that we go back to some well loved ports. There is always something new to look at.

Finally the staff were, without exception, charming.

What a great review and happy you had such a wonderful time.

I think Viking will be continuing to expand their geographic areas as more ships come on - which is very exciting to us as we have also travelled to a good percentage of ports in their early itineraries, and checked a number off last year on the Star.

I totally agree with your thoughts on crowded port itineraries- Venice, Santorini, etc.....when that happens it just isn't much fun IMHO. I don't know how or if that change happens......

It just really nice to hear that everything is going so well on board the ship!

Mrs. Miggins, loved reading your review!

For the fjords, have you looked at "Into the Midnight Sun"?

I agree. Can't wait for Viking to expand its itineraries, especially if they will add some more less served destinations.

Edited by Peregrina651

Thank you for a great review.

After sailing on Celebrity only, my choice to try a smaller ship was to try Azamara. But then the Viking Ocean line was born and I was smitten by what I saw.

I am now booked on the Viking Sky for my first Viking cruise on a smaller ship.

I have popped over from the Azamara Board! I really enjoyed your full review of Viking Sea Pam and as you know, with that positive review you were instrumental in encouraging Hazel and I to book our first Viking cruise this week.

We are very much looking forward to it and I have to say that the option to go on a quality ship in The Med in January is very appealing to me. Previously choices at this time have been limited to Costa and MSC.....not my cruise lines of choice.

It's nice that they have a cruise Critic meeting but it doesn't seem as well organised as Azamara's is. Hazel and I can give them some hints and tips on that! :)

We met some lovely people on board. So glad that Lottie and Hazel, fellow Azamara fans, will be trying out the ship in January. Viking Sea would be a good choice in the winter in the Mediterranean. The fact that the roof over the main swimming pool closes is a huge advantage, Means you don't have to scurry across a wet deck. The winter garden and seating areas around the pool will still be usable whatever the weather is doing outside. In addition the ports will be far less crowded. However the shops will still be open. Watch out Monte Carlo, and Nice, and in fact everywhere. Hope you manage to find some others to share your visit to Lucca from Livorno. Give our love to Paolo who looked after us so well in May.

Looking at the website it would appear these winter cruises have sold well. We would love to try them, but waiting for Mike's back to improve before booking anything. I did a few of the walking tours on our cruise solo. I did get a little frustrated with other people forgetting their listening devices, or them not working, or indeed needing a comfort break 20 minutes after we left the ship. However when we got to our Koper I forgot my device - quickly remedied - but still shows I shouldn't be so judgemental.

I hate not having a cruise to look forward to but have been looking at Viking River cruises, Azamara, Star Clipper and of course Viking Ocean. i am sure I will find something.

What's The Med like in January? Have never considered going this time of year.

Pam

Great to meet you and I agree 100% with your well written review!

-Robin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

To add to Mrs. Miggins reply, also note that it is cold in January, winter coat, hat and gloves kind of weather, and can be wet and/or gloomy. We have done a number of early January trips to the Med (Spain, Italy, Greece and Turkey) and love not having to fight the summer heat and crowds. In a couple of the countries, the school Christmas break runs until January 8 but it gets mighty quiet in town once the kids are back in school.

To add to Mrs. Miggins reply, also note that it is cold in January, winter coat, hat and gloves kind of weather, and can be wet and/or gloomy. We have done a number of early January trips to the Med (Spain, Italy, Greece and Turkey) and love not having to fight the summer heat and crowds. In a couple of the countries, the school Christmas break runs until January 8 but it gets mighty quiet in town once the kids are back in school.

Can I also add that I cruise in The Med very often in January....most years in fact and it is often quite warm and sunny, with much less rain, certainly compared to the UK in January.

I was walking around many of the ports we are visiting on Viking Sea wearing a T Shirt and linen trousers last January, with temps of around 20/21 degrees and no rain at all.

I intend to bring long sleeved T Shirts, some light jumpers and a thin rain jacket....not a winter coat, hat and gloves!

Can I also add that I cruise in The Med very often in January....most years in fact and it is often quite warm and sunny, with much less rain, certainly compared to the UK in January.

I was walking around many of the ports we are visiting on Viking Sea wearing a T Shirt and linen trousers last January, with temps of around 20/21 degrees and no rain at all.

I intend to bring long sleeved T Shirts, some light jumpers and a thin rain jacket....not a winter coat, hat and gloves!

I guess I've been rather unlucky then in my winter travels because all I remember is cold weather -- overcoat weather in Rome (biting cold), Florence, Sienna and even Barcelona and Athens. I'm still preparing for a cold trip in early January, especially as we travel inland, but hope that it will be as you say, closer to T-shirt weather.

• 2 weeks later...

We absolutely loved our Empires cruise last September; glad to hear you loved yours. I see they took out Pula, Croatia. I personally loved that place - very unusual, and not many ships go there, which makes it an extra winner in my book. I guess too many people weren't happy with the tendering situation. It's a long tender ride and of course everyone wants to return at the same time (mid-afternoon), making it difficult to tender without long lines.

I was looking at my photos from Empires last night. That was such an awesome itinerary, and of course the ship, crew and experience were awesome as well.