Is it the done thing?

erniebernie

This has been discussed in a previous thread. Maybe, you could find in with a search...

Temperature in the dining rooms does not warrant disrobing. Your husband will not find it overly warm.

Adhering to the dress code means actually wearing the described clothing, not just placing it on the back of one's chair.

DH and I have sailed on Royal Caribbean. Cunard has a different tone. Royal Caribbean was great, but it is nothing like Cunard when it comes to dressing for dinner. One of my memories of the Royal Caribbean dining room is someone wearing a baseball cap to dining---arranged in a backwards fashion.

In my experience, passengers on Cunard ships do follow the dress code.

Have a wonderful voyage, erniebernie!

Allison,

Cunard has always had a dedicated following of repeat passengers that look for the unique sailing experience - Dress Code.

They are quite strict in asking all to follow the dress code that is set that starts at 6PM.

Yes their are challenges at the door of the restaurant but not by tableside.

But to keep the experience, seeing the restaurant abiding to the code really sets the tone.

On those evenings that Tuxedos or Dark Suits are announced, you will see those if at not wearing their jackets stands out like a sore thumb. Same as would be noticed on Informal evenings.

I do have to state that the ship does a good job keeping the temperature uniform. Even the woman will find at times to bring a crawl with them to the Dining and even Royal Court Theater.

If there is a problem following the dress code, their are other dining choices on the ship...

We personally have sailed on the Queens for the last 30 years and look forward to Dressing on evenings.....

Hi just wondering would it be frowned upon if my husband removed his jacket while eating dinner in MDR. Don't want to have him walk the plank:rolleyes: thanks Allison.

Hi Allison. If your husband is too warm, of course he should take his jacket off. No one wants their fellow passenger to be uncomfortable, especially if it means they will pass out from heat! Except that the air conditioning in the MDR is usually a bit chill, in my experience.

If you don't mind my asking, what conditions do you anticipate happening that would necessitate your husband removing his jacket at dinner in the MDR?

Regards,

Salacia

Thank you all for replies my husband has just told me he wouldn't dream of taking his jacket off at dinner.So there, I have beentold:p My main concern was the temperature in the dining room but that seems to have been addressed. Its a long time since our last cruise I couldn't remember. Thanks again.

Thank you all for replies my husband has just told me he wouldn't dream of taking his jacket off at dinner.So there, I have beentold:p My main concern was the temperature in the dining room but that seems to have been addressed. Its a long time since our last cruise I couldn't remember. Thanks again.

No worries. Thanks to your husband for his consideration in complying with the dress code, and thanks to you for asking the question. :)

Surely if one has a medical condition - heavy sweating, it would be ok to remove one's coat in the MDR? After all, no one wants their sweat to drop from one's brow into one's soup?

By jove, even in the officer's mess, back then, the Colonel would say...'Gentlemen may remove their jackets,' mess dress or tunics.

What say ye?

Edited by NSWP

Cunard is a lot more formal with it's Dress Code than with most cruise lines, but if your husband chooses to remove his jacket for comfort he should. No one's cruise is going to be ruined because a gent chose to eat his dinner wearing a shirt and it's their problem if it upsets them.

Don't feel intimidated to not do your own thing.

Surely if one has a medical condition - heavy sweating, it would be ok to remove one's coat in the MDR? After all, no one wants their sweat to drop from one's brow into one's soup?

By jove, even in the officer's mess, back then, the Colonel would say...'Gentlemen may remove their jackets,' mess dress or tunics.

What say ye?

Usually when the Port came out, also the signal it was OK to light up.

Cunard is a lot more formal with it's Dress Code than with most cruise lines, but if your husband chooses to remove his jacket for comfort he should. No one's cruise is going to be ruined because a gent chose to eat his dinner wearing a shirt and it's their problem if it upsets them. Don't feel intimidated to not do your own thing.
So sorry Catnappers, but I'm going to disagree with you.

The dress-code shouldn't be optional, once a gentleman is dressed for dinner, he is dressed for dinner.

As I mentioned on another thread recently, I have occasionally seen men trailing/carrying a jacket from bar to restaurant to bar all evening, not once putting the jacket on.

The buffet (and other cruise lines) exists for those men who find eating dinner whilst wearing a jacket to be impossible.

As for ruining another person's cruise... I for one do not wish to see across a dinner table, or worse sit next to, a bloke in a wet, sweaty shirt sans jacket :eek:.

Again, my apologies for taking the opposite view to yourself.

Happy sailings for the future :)

Edited by pepperrn

Cunard is a lot more formal with it's Dress Code than with most cruise lines, but if your husband chooses to remove his jacket for comfort he should. No one's cruise is going to be ruined because a gent chose to eat his dinner wearing a shirt and it's their problem if it upsets them.

Don't feel intimidated to not do your own thing.

I don't really agree with that point of view. I think there should be an expectation that etiquette will be upheld so, if one is dining at a table with a group of people where the dress code has been determined (as Cunard does) people should adhere to the dress code and table etiquette.

I don't really agree with that point of view. I think there should be an expectation that etiquette will be upheld so, if one is dining at a table with a group of people where the dress code has been determined (as Cunard does) people should adhere to the dress code and table etiquette.

Seems pretty simple, doesn't it? But it seems that many think they're to important to conform.

Edited by GUT2407

I'm not the slightest bit offended by others disagreeing with me, that's what personal choice is always about.

I adhere to Cunard's rules, my husband and I enjoy the formality and dressing up, but if he (or any other person) wished to require his jacket for any reason that would be fine by me.

Having just returned from 2 weeks Queen Grill on QV in the Med/Adriatic, the rules felt a lot more relaxed with some people in all areas on the ship in casual clothes during early evening. I had a fabulous cruise though as I was focusing on us rather than others 😀

Well said laxtex, thank you.

Let's not forget we're talking about cruising. Holidays, enjoying ourselves.

The comment about people thinking they're too important to conform to rules is hysterical and so full of pomposity.

Thank God I always request a table for 2! #Sheeple

The OP was seeking clarification rather than trying to circumvent the dress code so I hope she doesn't feel that what comes next is aimed at her. It isn't.

I've said many times - why go on a line with a relatively strict dress code and then try to find devious ways not to conform? It is a remarkably juvenile attitude. Why not just book Disney or Celebrity and enjoy the company of other slobs?

...... Why not just book Disney or Celebrity and enjoy the company of other slobs?

From my experience Celebrity is not a cruise line of slobs. Passengers have always been dressed well (though not necessarily as formal as on Cunard). I have seen much worse dress on RCI and even Princess at times.

Edited by Aussieflyer

This world is full of choices. It is also full of rules, rules that are usually based on civility and courtesy. If you select to buy a cruise on a Cunard ship you also select to abide by their rules. Removing a man's jacket in the MDR is not in comportment with those rules. So far, I cannot recall seeing a gentleman at dinner on a Cunard ship remove his jacket during the meal. Of course, one is free to dine at the buffet without a jacket. But, please, don't sign on and then try to change the rules that the others of us gladly accept and enjoy.

This world is full of choices. It is also full of rules, rules that are usually based on civility and courtesy. If you select to buy a cruise on a Cunard ship you also select to abide by their rules. Removing a man's jacket in the MDR is not in comportment with those rules. So far, I cannot recall seeing a gentleman at dinner on a Cunard ship remove his jacket during the meal. Of course, one is free to dine at the buffet without a jacket. But, please, don't sign on and then try to change the rules that the others of us gladly accept and enjoy.
Superbly written newcruise :) Edited by pepperrn

Wot he said. Bravo.

Wonderfully said, newcruise!

I think the OP's husband has already spoken of his intention to comply, so the OP's question is now both answered and resolved.

Erniebernie, I'm sure you and your husband will enjoy the MDR.