LIVE!!! The Reflection Transatlantic - Oct 21st - 2016! Are we the YOUNGEST again?!

chicagopaul

Hi Paul and Edward:

Great videos!!!!

Have you had a chance to visit the "Next Cruise" office yet?

I'm wondering if they have any information on the 2018 fall transatlantics. Last year when we were on the Silhouette fall transatlantic, they didn't have pricing, and therefore your couldn't book, but they did have previews of the next years itineraries available.

Any information you can share would be appreciated. Looking forward to more of your review.

Wishing you smooth seas.

Tom

Cheers everyone! I took a cabin video but internet is running slow now. I'll try to upload to YouTube later.

We had Romecabs pick us up at 10am at our hotel. We were at the ship just after 11. I think I had a drink in my hand by 11:35? No problems getting on board. Smooth experience.

We started with two screwdrivers at the pool bar and already met several people from Cruise Critic, a couple from Canada and a couple we sailed with in April.

We had lunch in Luminae. I had the burger and Edward had the chicken and waffles. Both were good. I feel my burger was better last time. We will see if it changes.

We already saw our favorite bartender Chairul and the very wonderful bartender Iva.

It is 5pm and we're currently getting ready for the night. I'll post some photos of the night and will again take some videos. Fingers crossed the internet cooperates.

FYI - we seem to have unlimited internet linked to our account? We didn't buy it but we were going to. We will see how long this lasts.

Also our butler is Hilario. He met us at 1:30 at the room with our luggage! I'm think we will like him.

Photo of our room 2127

9a4d1f6a94a64ff42b8dea66fa847763.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul, thanks for the posts, pics & updates!

The wife & I are booked in 2133 (just a couple doors down from you) on the Nov 19 sailing. Would love the see the balcony view...

Happy Sunday everyone. I hope you are all well. The cruise is going well. My apologies for not posting too much. Here is an update.

Yesterday was Nice / Monaco. The weather was perfect. Sunny, around 70 degrees. Nice and warm in the sun and a little cool in the shade. Anyone who had extensive excursions planned had perfect walking and exploring weather. Today is Marseille and the weather could be better. It is around 60 degrees, a bit cooler this morning with some decent winds and a little rain. The sun has come out some in the past couple hours (it is 3pm now) but still not as nice as yesterday. We're hoping for better weather tomorrow in Barcelona and from the looks of the forecast it looks like we will be good.

OK now let's talk ship. The second night in Luminae was much better. No issues waiting for food, no delays, no complaints. I keep forgetting to take food pictures, I'll remember tonight! Last night our main dish was the veal cannelloni which was very good. Though it is a small portion so if you're very hungry order two or something to split in the middle.

We've continued to meet more people around the ship. I'm doing my best to keep track of all the names! It's not easy, but it's definitely a good problem to have.

We're visiting Michaels club every night. Joyce in Michael's is very nice and seems to have taken a liking to us. We will be sure to stop in and see her tonight. Tonight is evening chic night so I'll try and post what I'm wearing. Since it's a bit cool today I think I'll have a sweater in the mix.

Shows.

Sat night we saw the show Maxx. It's about a boy that gets caught in a virtual world. It was....interesting. Most of the music wasn't my specific tastes but I found the female singers to be very good. The main female vocalist was excellent. I'm hoping for better shows in the future for her to show her range. Tenures of Rock are on board and will be getting off the ship to go to a two year contract in Vegas. I've heard excellent things about them so we are looking forward to their show tonight.

Regarding the TV question, there is a HDMI port as well as a PC in port and AV. However, I don't have any cables with me so I cannot attest if it will actually work for you. I've heard varying things in the past on cruise critic.

Happy Sunday everyone. I hope you are all well. The cruise is going well. My apologies for not posting too much. Here is an update.

Yesterday was Nice / Monaco. The weather was perfect. Sunny, around 70 degrees. Nice and warm in the sun and a little cool in the shade. Anyone who had extensive excursions planned had perfect walking and exploring weather. Today is Marseille and the weather could be better. It is around 60 degrees, a bit cooler this morning with some decent winds and a little rain. The sun has come out some in the past couple hours (it is 3pm now) but still not as nice as yesterday. We're hoping for better weather tomorrow in Barcelona and from the looks of the forecast it looks like we will be good.

OK now let's talk ship. The second night in Luminae was much better. No issues waiting for food, no delays, no complaints. I keep forgetting to take food pictures, I'll remember tonight! Last night our main dish was the veal cannelloni which was very good. Though it is a small portion so if you're very hungry order two or something to split in the middle.

We've continued to meet more people around the ship. I'm doing my best to keep track of all the names! It's not easy, but it's definitely a good problem to have.

We're visiting Michaels club every night. Joyce in Michael's is very nice and seems to have taken a liking to us. We will be sure to stop in and see her tonight. Tonight is evening chic night so I'll try and post what I'm wearing. Since it's a bit cool today I think I'll have a sweater in the mix.

Shows.

Sat night we saw the show Maxx. It's about a boy that gets caught in a virtual world. It was....interesting. Most of the music wasn't my specific tastes but I found the female singers to be very good. The main female vocalist was excellent. I'm hoping for better shows in the future for her to show her range. Tenures of Rock are on board and will be getting off the ship to go to a two year contract in Vegas. I've heard excellent things about them so we are looking forward to their show tonight.

Regarding the TV question, there is a HDMI port as well as a PC in port and AV. However, I don't have any cables with me so I cannot attest if it will actually work for you. I've heard varying things in the past on cruise critic.

8ca92e0bab71c9354cc10a1c378e1c30.jpg

Rose, I haven't forgotten about you. I walked by the rooom today and there are several crew doors across from it but they're small crew doors, not the massive ones you normally see. I took a quick video and will upload it for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paul

Thanks for the review to date following this closely we are thinking of a transatlantic cruise in the future and are booked on a med cruise may 2017. Question while in Nice and Marseilles did you take a tour or do it on your own? These are two ports we will be stopping at and trying to plan thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Forums

John... Just saw this thread. Wanted to jump in here and wish you a fun voyage. We met on the Silhouette T.A. a few years back. You are Still my idol...lol:D

Adrienne and I will be boarding the Freedom of the Seas - a week from today.

Kevin

Hopefully our paths cross again on the seas again Kevin. I had so much fun with that cruise with you guys. So trips our superb, and certainly the TA we had was one of them.

I'm guessing Reflection will be too, as they really pulled out the stops on the design of this boat as it has all the bells and whistles. Still exploring, but love what I've seen so far.

Been lucky enough to be dining in MDR and Luminae this voyage. I got an invite today to dine with Captain at Tuscan tomorrow. It's funny he's one of the Captains that remember very well, great sense of humor so I doubt he'll remember me, but still thrilled with the honor.

Hope you guys have an awesome time on Freedom of the Seas, and hopefully see you soon.

Notice the "HOTEL TV cable on the back. Usually (99% of the time) That means external inputs are de-activated.

raw

Agreed. But if there is a menu button on the TV or remote, you can sometimes re-enable. If they changed the TV's remote to the "hotel remote" with different buttons, hence no menu button, then bringing a $5 universal remote may come in handy. IF you really must connect to the TV, that is.

Hopefully our paths cross again on the seas again Kevin. I had so much fun with that cruise with you guys. So trips our superb, and certainly the TA we had was one of them.

I'm guessing Reflection will be too, as they really pulled out the stops on the design of this boat as it has all the bells and whistles. Still exploring, but love what I've seen so far.

Glad you are enjoying the Reflection. If you get a chance.. let me know what you like better than the Silhouette(my fav so far). Reflection is the only "S" class that I haven't been on.

Kevin

Well today is our first sea day so I will use this as an opportunity to update everyone. I've seen a few questions above s well as a couple questions on instagram. I'll do my best to get answers to everyone. I was also asked the differences I like or dislike between the Silhouette and the Reflection. I'll definitely get this answered as well.

Let's start with talking about food.

On our overnight in Barcelona the ocean view cafe had a very nice spread. We did not eat dinner there but we went up to check out the Spain specialities they were offering. They brought on a couple people from Barcelona in order to cut and serve the Spain speciality similar to prosciutto. The name of it is escaping me now. However, see below photos. They also had some great cheeses, paella, and desert.

Food in Luminae has been very good. Our favorites have been the veal cannelloni entree, the octopus appetizer and the short rib entree. We've had no service issues in Luminae. Last night they seemed to have a rush at 8pm so things went a little slower but nothing to complain about.

Ok, now let's talk drinks. We've found service at all the bars to be excellent. We've come to know people at Michaels, Martini bar, and the pool bar. We've gotten to meet Santa Clause at the Sunset Bar and he is definitely entertaining. Last night the captains club event, with passed appetizers was held in Ensemble...wow, was it crowded! And loud! Haha...people seemed to be having a great time. We went into Michaels and it was much quieter, though I heard even that became very busy after we left.

Entertainment. Since my last posting we saw the Tenors of Rock. They were absolutely fantastic. They're guest entertainers on the Reflection but they're leaving after this cruise for a contract in Las Vegas. They sang a great selection of Rock from the Beatles to the Eagles and more. They put their own twist on all the songs and in general were very entertaining when talking about bands, songs, etc. I'd say they've been the best act I've ever seen at sea.

Today is Wednesday and it's a beautiful sea day. Very calm seas, great sun and temperatures in the 70s with mild humidity. We had our obligatory screwdrivers by the pool bar and just finished lunch. We went to Ocean View for lunch today and they had a nice Italian selection today. I'm sure we will end up at mast grill later on before dinner. We have yet to try Sushi on 5 but we plan to before the end of the cruise. Right now I type this as I lay by the pool. I'm sure another drink will be in order shortly as will a dip in the pool or hot tub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Am loving your pics and posts here and on Instagram. Especially loved the room service video! Would really like to hear about the differences between this ship and Silhouette.

We've been on the Reflection twice and it is probably our favorite ship in the Celebrity fleet as of this time. We will be sailing on the Silhouette with you in Rome so then I can make a comparison. We like the size of the Reflection and it has never seemed overcrowded. A lot depends on the crew, the entertainment, and any other variables such as the coffee can taste different on each cruise depending on what they have bought at the time. Once it was horrible and pretty much undrinkable, the next time it was great. We've also been on the Eclipse which is similar to the Silhouette, I believe, and it seemed a bit more crowded and the elevators were kept full most of the time.

You might want to specify to Paul what exactly you are trying to determine as differences, i.e. decorations, entertainment, layout, staterooms, etc.

Happy Friday Everyone! It is currently 3:50pm, I am sitting on my balcony off the coast of Tenerife. We had a wonderful day today. I'm currently waiting for Edward to quickly shower and get ready as we're heading to the helipad today for a sail-away at 4:30pm. Originally the sail-away on the helipad was scheduled for our departure from Barcelona but the weather did not cooperate. Today the weather is a stunning 79 degrees, blue skies and a light breeze. It is picture perfect. I thought I would take this time to give you an update.

I haven't posted many photos on here and I will try and post more. I continue to post them on Instagram. Someone messaged me saying they couldn't find me on there, but I know many of you have. My instagram name is PaulKBlackburn It also easily allows me to post up to 1 minute videos too which I will try and do much more during the sea days. The internet was slow the past day or so, but this afternoon is seems to have gotten much better.

Overall this has been a great cruise thus far. The staff has been incredible and we have heard very few, if any complaints from fellow passengers. The weather, while being a little cloudy and damp on some days, has overall treated us well and the seas have been very calm. Today was the best weather we have had so far. If the remainder of the sea days are like today I will be a very very happy cruiser.

Lets update you on the follow....

Food! Luminae has continued to be very good. The kitchen has been a little slow but the service has been great. We've routinely been ordering two appetizers each, one entree each plus an entree to share. We typically skip dessert, but last night we had the chocolate soufflé which was the lightest shuffle I have ever had. I wish they had that on the menu every night because even if you are completely full, stuffed to the brim, you're able to eat this!

We had lunch in Lawn Club the other day! They are now doing (I believe only on select sea days, but I'll confirm the schedule) burgers in Lawn Club. We both had the *** Burger which came with a "secret sauce," onion strings, bacon and cheese. I'm a burger lover and very critical of burgers. I never order them outside of the US because I'm also disappointed in the meat quality. The exception would be Luminae which I have liked. This burger, however, was very good. It was very very tasty, juicy, cooked perfectly. The overall menu, which I will post (don't worry) was great. Excellent burger choices including a Tuna burger and a veggie burger. The cost was $10 per person. You still were able to visit the salad bar too, but you don't have to. The burger and sides that you are can get are definitely more than enough food.

Bar Service Well, you know I love my bars. Bar service has been great and not just from our regular bartender Chairul, but from everyone. We've been thrilled with all the staff around the ship knowing our order after a couple of days (down to my obligatory sparkling water on the side). Michael's Club has been pretty busy and we've met some wonderful people there. Our favorite bartender in Michael's is Joyce. She is such a sweetheart and we've had the pleasure of talking with her about her time with Celebrity and her family.

Shows Last night's show was Elysium. We sat 3rd row from the front so I could get a good view and I really did enjoy this show. The overall choreography I felt was better than the first show, Maxx, but so was the music, vocals and costume design. Since Celebrity took over the shows the one thing I have noticed is that the quality of the costume design has improved dramatically. I am not just talking about the look of the costumes, but also the apparent quality and fit for the performers. The set design for Elysium also appeared to be a step up from other shows we have seen in the past. We are very much looking forward the final show that the production team has to offer. Keep in mind, I try to compare these shows to Broadway. Being from Chicago we have broadway productions come through all the time and visit NYC often so my purpose of cruising has never been to see a broadway play at sea. Instead, I want to be thoroughly entertained. So you can take my entertainment review with a grain of salt. The last item I will add is that the entire theater stood almost instantly to give a standing ovation at the end of the performance.

Our Room and Room Steward / Butler Our room has been kept spotless. Leonardo, our room steward has done an excellent job. Not once has he ever knocked too early in the morning and we've always had plenty of soaps, extra towels, etc.

Hilario is our butler. He's been great. We haven't needed him for much, but we did have him schedule reservations for us and a button broke off my jacket that I've had him replace. Chic night is in a couple nights and I think we will have him prepare some nice appetizers for us that we can enjoy while getting ready. We ran into him in Tenerife today and he was so excited to see us he ran over and gave us hugs.

We sent laundry out and it came back within 24hrs, neatly folded in a wicker basket (not the usual crappy bag).

Internet Update The free internet I was enjoying from the beginning went away a few days ago. How dare they give me something unexpected for free and then take it away! Haha....it was good while it lasted. But I had to break down and purchase the package. Oh well. The package cost was $319 for unlimited on 1 device, however, we get 30% off for being Elite so it brought it down to a reasonable level.

I HAVE NOT FORGOTTON

MOSCOW MULE: I will not only find out where to order one, but I will see how good they are. They can be made as most bars as I've seen ginger beer at different bars including the pool bar. But I'm curious if they have any copper mugs. I will test them out and give you my review!

ROOM 3155: I have a question regarding my bill on a certain item, so when I stop down to discuss this I will ask about the busyness of the crew doors. I did take a video of the hallway for you, but it turns out it was upside down. I was being rushed by people behind me so I will do it this time when there is no one around.

SILHOUETTE VERSUS THE REFLECTION: Hard question to answer but I will address this for you. Overall, I have to say we've preferred the staff on this ship but there are some other nuances that go both ways that I will address.

If there is anything else I missed please do not hesitate to remind me. Thank you again for following along. So many people have come up to me on the ship and asked "Are you Chicago Paul?" It always brings a smile to my face. So anyone on the ship reading this, please come up and say hi!

Thanks Chicago Paul...great update. I am happy to hear about the burgers in the Lawn Club. I also am a burger lover (don't laugh...but I am a happy camper at White Castle). We have rented an alcove for one of our sea days next March and am hoping that we'll be able to get a burger from the Lawn Club. We are also looking forward to a dinner there.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Susan

Love your review.

Just a reminder that we are interested in Fall 2018 Transatlantic itineraries. Last Fall on the Constellation Transatlantic, they gave us the itineraries and dates for Fall 2017 in advance of release. We couldn't book on board but they let us buy future cruise certificates and guaranteed prepaid grats if booked when available.

we're heading to the helipad today for a sail-away at 4:30pm.

We had lunch in Lawn Club the other day! They are now doing burgers!

Paul, we just watched a video of the sail away from the helipad posted oin one of the Reflection groups on the book of faces. :D

I wonder if the meat they are using for the burger is the same as is used in the GastroBar? We had it on the Equinox and hands down, the best burger on a ship, period.

Keep it coming!

Thanks,

EW