RCI Travel Insurance vs. Travel Guard

We have always purchased travel insurance for all of our cruises, however, we've always used Travel Guard because they had better coverage and cost less than purchasing it through Carnival. This is our first time cruising with RCI and it seems as though the travel insurance that they offer is considerably less than TG. For those who sail with RCI and purchase travel insurance, do you go through RCI or do you use another independent company? Is the coverage comparable to what you get through another company? TIA!

I am able to get the Travel Guard Gold policy through my TA cheaper than the RCCL price. Not by much but a bit.

I have purchased RCCL (and Celebrity) insurance in the past. I don't think you can go wrong as I doubt Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. is going to go bankrupt and it's underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company. A very good insurance company.

One important thing you might want to consider is if the travel insurance covers pre-existing conditions....I do not believe that insurance purchased through the cruise lines cover pre-existing conditions. Just another thing to ask about when you purchase the insurance, but very important to many people.

No, Travel insurance like any other insurance can vary radically with price and coverage from one company to the other. One really needs to do side by side comparison and read the fine print before you purchase. Don't assume that since the cruise line insurance is cheaper it is better or comparable. In general it's always better to go with a outside carrier. Would you purchase car insurance from the car dealer = probably not. The only reason you purchase insurance from the cruise line is convenience. I'm not say it's bad; but you need to understand what is covers and what it doesn't and coverage amounts & limits. One thing to note is 1st or 2nd coverage. Like with medical coverage if it's 2nd coverage you have to max out your own personal medical insurance (like from your employer) before travel insurance will pay. But they don't always disclose that. In 1st coverage medical - medical bills are covered dollar for dollar for any out of pocket expenses you incur regardless of what other medical cover you do or do not have. All I'm saying is you really need to do your homework and just don't assume the cruise line insurance is the best coverage for you. Shop around and compare. One good site to start at is insuremytrip.com.

Edited by COMBOY

No, Travel insurance like any other insurance can vary radically with price and coverage from one company to the other. One really needs to do side by side comparison and read the fine print before you purchase. Don't assume that since the cruise line insurance is cheaper it is better or comparable. In general it's always better to go with a outside carrier. Would you purchase car insurance from the car dealer = probably not. The only reason you purchase insurance from the cruise line is convenience. I'm not say it's bad; but you need to understand what is covers and what it doesn't and coverage amounts & limits. One thing to note is 1st or 2nd coverage. Like with medical coverage if it's 2nd coverage you have to max out your own personal medical insurance (like from your employer) before travel insurance will pay. But they don't always disclose that. In 1st coverage medical - medical bills are covered dollar for dollar for any out of pocket expenses you incur regardless of what other medical cover you do or do not have. All I'm saying is you really need to do your homework and just don't assume the cruise line insurance is the best coverage for you. Shop around and compare. One good site to start at is insuremytrip.com.

My healthcare insurance covers me when I travel outside the United States, but they will not pay anything if I purchase 1st coverage (primary) travel insurance. If I take primary travel insurance I am giving my health insurance company a vacation from payment. I purchase 2nd coverage (secondary) travel insurance. If I get sick my healthcare company pays according to my plan with them and the remainder is picked up by secondary travel insurance. The travel insurance purchase will cover evacuation, cost of trip, trip delay, etc., in addition to medical claims.

I have a problem with buying insurance from the company who I am insuring against.

To me it would be like buying medical or malpractice insurance from the physician who is performing your surgery. Just my opinion. I would go with TG.

Edited by egh170

Just curious...Is there "ever" a situation when buying the cruiseline insurance a good option....Yes I know the usual answer's why buying private insurance is better...just asking this "specific" question...Thanks.

Just curious...Is there "ever" a situation when buying the cruiseline insurance a good option....Yes I know the usual answer's why buying private insurance is better...just asking this "specific" question...Thanks.

The cruise line insurance is a cheaper option when you are "old". :) Travel insurance from independent carriers is age dependent. Once you are much past ~60 or so, the cost increases disproportionately.

Cruise line insurance is age irrelevant. It is the same price for everyone, based on the cost of the cruise. (It does not cover outside airfare or pre-existing conditions)

I looked at the cost of independent insurance for my mom and her friend in their 80's when we went to Alaska, and on another cruise to the Caribbean. Holy Smokes! We split them up cabin wise and we all purchased cruise line insurance. Because everyone in the cabin has to.

Thankfully, because then the giant tree fell on mom's house and cut it in half....10 days before the cruise. http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z78/plhunt2/Moms%20House%20and%20Tree%20Damage/MomsHouse12-3-2011010.jpg

Edited by Coralc

I have always used Travel Guard but this time I went with RCCL. RCCL insurance has one thing that Travel Guard didn't and that was a Cancel for Any Reason. Yes you will get the full about if the reason is within their guidelines but if you Cancel for Any Reason you get back75% of the trip towards another cruise. Sometimes there is a reason you have to cancel so this covers it for us since we will along the line sometime take another cruise.

Agree 100% with this post including using insuremy trip , however, with that being said Travelguard did come to our aid on totally failed trip in July 2009 and their people were very courteous and helpful.

Yep there is. We have a family member with mental health issues. With regular travel insurance he would have to be in hospital in a psychiatric ward for us to be able to claim on our insurance if we cancelled to be with him. With cancel for any reason we can stay home if he just needs us to be near by. We always buy the ships insurance for that reason. We have our own out of country medical insurance.

Yep there is. We have a family member with mental health issues. With regular travel insurance he would have to be in hospital in a psychiatric ward for us to be able to claim on our insurance if we cancelled to be with him. With cancel for any reason we can stay home if he just needs us to be near by. We always buy the ships insurance for that reason. We have our own out of country medical insurance.

There is travel insurance available in the United States that includes cancel for any reason. Travel Guard in fact offers one. Insurance companies offer clients different types of policies that appeal to different needs. The one that I have taken includes paying a kennel if you have an unavoidable extension of your trip.

Edited by Sanz

My healthcare insurance covers me when I travel outside the United States, but they will not pay anything if I purchase 1st coverage (primary) travel insurance. If I take primary travel insurance I am giving my health insurance company a vacation from payment. I purchase 2nd coverage (secondary) travel insurance. If I get sick my healthcare company pays according to my plan with them and the remainder is picked up by secondary travel insurance. The travel insurance purchase will cover evacuation, cost of trip, trip delay, etc., in addition to medical claims.

Like you, my Blue Cross/Shield covers me anywhere in the World.

However, most countries don't accept the insurance, but make you pay up front before treatment. Then you have to seek reimbursement from your insurance company.

I lived overseas for nine years in two countries and had to deal with this. It was not a huge problem for me, but no one in my family had any major health problems.

Even in Canada, you have to pay upfront.

Like you, my Blue Cross/Shield covers me anywhere in the World.

However, most countries don't accept the insurance, but make you pay up front before treatment. Then you have to seek reimbursement from your insurance company.

I lived overseas for nine years in two countries and had to deal with this. It was not a huge problem for me, but no one in my family had any major health problems.

Even in Canada, you have to pay upfront.

Thank you for reminding me. I forgot about this situation. Like you the small issues are not a huge problem problem for me and I forgot to mention this in my initial response.

However, I am covered for the large issues with my travel insurance. According to my travel insurance policy "Advance payment will be made to a Hospital up to the Maximum Benefit Amount if needed to secure your admission to a Hospital because of a Covered Accidental Injury or covered Sickness. The authorized travel assistance company will coordinate advance payment to the Hospital." When you arrive home you then submit your claim to the insurance companies."

Edited by Sanz

The cruise line insurance is a cheaper option when you are "old". :) Travel insurance from independent carriers is age dependent. Once you are much past ~60 or so, the cost increases disproportionately.

Cruise line insurance is age irrelevant. It is the same price for everyone, based on the cost of the cruise. (It does not cover outside airfare or pre-existing conditions)

I looked at the cost of independent insurance for my mom and her friend in their 80's when we went to Alaska, and on another cruise to the Caribbean. Holy Smokes! We split them up cabin wise and we all purchased cruise line insurance. Because everyone in the cabin has to.

Thankfully, because then the giant tree fell on mom's house and cut it in half....10 days before the cruise. http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z78/plhunt2/Moms%20House%20and%20Tree%20Damage/MomsHouse12-3-2011010.jpg

So everyone in the cabin has to take it...What happens if in a three person cabin one person is a "no show"...how is this handled ?

I am in the process of filing a claim with RCCL on a "cancel for any reason." I had to cancel at 16 days so I got 25% back in cash direct from RCCL, which was back on my AMEX within five days (along with the drink package charges). It appears I will get 75% back as a cruise credit on the balance.

Several years ago we had to cancel at three days out due to a death in the family and I got 100% back in cash after submitting a copy of the death certificate.

We have always purchased the cruise line insurance but for this trip I just used InsureMyTrip dot com. They are a broker for many companies. select what you need - cancel for work, medical evacuation, pre existing condition waiver etc. it will give you several policies you can then compare side by side. We got MUCH better coverage for less money.

The cruiseline policies generally offer $10,000 Medical and $25,000 Medevac coverage; both are very low compared to those coverages offered by the 3rd party policies, and at a lower premium unless you're approaching/in your 60's.

Cruiseline policies do not offer "waiver of pre-existing conditions" but usually DO include "cancel for any reason" albeit for a 75% future cruise CREDIT.

Many companies include "waiver of pre-existing conditions" if you purchase within 1 or 2 weeks of initial deposit AND allow you to purchase at added cost (often 50% premium increase) "cancel for any reason" - you have to be aware of the actual amount of the Cancel for Any Reason coverage, it can vary from 50% to 90% to 100%, and in some cases decreases the closer to sailaway that you cancel.

If you're USAA member, USAA offers several decent Policies at a slightly reduced premium.

Always check your private Health Insurance (not Medicare) for Overseas or Out of Country medical coverage' and Guarantee of Admission payment; many credit cards include "Travel Insurance" usually minimal Trip Cancellation and Lost/delayed Baggage coverage, if you pay for the cruise with their card.

Ken

Edited by Ken076

Reasons for buying cruise line insurance:

1. You can buy right up to departure (insurance providers generally require you to buy travel insurance within 14-21 days of deposit to cover pre existing conditions.

Note, we did find a CSA Travel Protection policy that covers pre existing 21 days from final deposit but you have to call CSA for this plan specifically.

2. Cruise line will insure the elderly with pre existing conditions (travel insurers become very pricey after 80years)

Reasons to buy direct from travel insurance provider (NOT from cruise line)

1. Coverages for ENTIRE trip including pre & post cruise dates

2. Coverages are usually better/enhanced

3. Price is usually less

4. For cruise cancellations, the travel insurance company will reimburse you the $$. Some cruise lines give you a cruise credit.

5. Claims--generally processed faster and you will can deal directly with the company that pays the claims (not the cruiseline intermediary).

Side by side comparison websites help compare but still recommend that you buy direct from the travel insurance provider.

We have insured our trips with several different companies over the years but as a result of a recent experience will stick with Travel Guard from here on out.

Last month I experienced a medical emergency requiring treatment in a Canadian emergency room and return home in the middle of our trip.

We contacted Travel Guard immediately, right from the hospital, and have been extremely pleased with the service provided. They have not only paid for everything we'd understood was covered but handled all the arrangements for our return flights--a great load off our minds.

Travel Guard folks we dealt with were courteous and efficient, making the whole experience as un-stressful for us as possible.

Now I'm once again healthy and looking forward to our next adventure--which we will certainly insure with Travel Guard.