Oasis, Formal night dress code for men?

kevinyork

We are on a B2B in Feb and given we are flying from the UK (with a weight restriction) are wondering about formal night dress codes out in the Caribbean. We like dressing smart but don't know if this requires a tux, smart shirt and chinos, or a polo shirt and jeans. Trying to ensure we meet the dress code but minimise our luggage weight and don't want to pack unnecessary clothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dress as you please. It is your cruise, enjoy it. We seldom dress up for formal night but do respect no shorts in MDR... we have enjoyed our formal night dinners in our cabin....

We typically pick the most fancy specialty restaurant on the first night and do eat in what we boarded with..... we eat early and many times our luggage is not in our cabin in time to ready for a early dinner....

Edited by troykahack

The suggested dress is clearly stated on the website. However, you will find many who are not respectful of this and feel they are on vacation so can dress as they please. You will not be turned away as long as you are not in shorts.

I always pack black slacks and a dress shirt for DH. I pack black slacks and a dress top for me. Seldom see tux/gown anymore on cruises in Caribbean. As has been posted, it is your vacation, but I would never wear jeans on formal night. Not my style.

The Oasis class / Caribbean has the most casual Formal Night on average - IMO. It appears to me that less and less are dressing up

I have seen it (shorts, ball caps, flip flops, and wife beater t-shirts). This topic can get pretty heated here on CC.

Edited by racerxspeedy

We've brought formal wear over from UK for our Liberty of the Seas cruise out of Galveston today, I will report back later in cruise but sadly it seems from other posters on here that Caribbean cruises don't dress up like those on the Med or out of the U.K.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pants and collared shirt and you will feel more than comfortable and not out of place on formal night. Don't sweat it, at least half the dining room doesn't dress up at all. It's a dying concept.

Sorry ... think this is a real pity. Cruising has been the last bastion of civility in an increasingly lazy society. I always look forward to FORMAL (as it says) NIGHTS, to dress up and wear a tux. It harkens back to the old days, when that is all you would see on a cruise ship. It's a shame that all over in society today, we see very poorly dressed coming to fancy shows at the posh venues that are in most cities. I think we should do more to raise the bar, not give in to it, and set the example.

Off my soap box now. :D

Gene

Edited by GeneinOrlando

Sorry ... think this is a real pity. Cruising has been the last bastion of civility in an increasingly lazy society. I always look forward to FORMAL (as it says) NIGHTS, to dress up and wear a tux. It harkens back to the old days, when that is all you would see on a cruise ship. It's a shame that all over in society today, we see very poorly dressed coming to fancy shows at the posh venues that are in most cities. I think we should do moe to raise the bar, not give in to it, and set the example.

Gene

We love to dress up too, but sadly DH will leave his Tux at home for our Thanksgiving cruise. He will wear his white dinner jacket, dress shirt, black pants with tie and dress shoes. And that will overdressed on Formal Night.

I always make an effort to dress for dinner. We live on a small tree farm and when home, we are usually in old dirty clothes......but we clean up quite nicely! :)

It's a shame that all over in society today, we see very poorly dressed coming to fancy shows at the posh venues that are in most cities. I think we should do more to raise the bar, not give in to it, and set the example.

If you truly enjoy dressing in formal wear and want to be in environments where others do the same, I'd suggest getting involved in some charities that do black tie fundraising events so you can enjoy dressing up for the charity circuit, because you are just going to be more and more disappointed in cruising. The vast majority of cruise passengers, at least in the Caribbean, have made it clear they they don't agree with you, and don't want to have to dress formally on vacation. It's been ages since I needed more than my own ten fingers to count the number of men in tuxes or women in gowns on a cruise. I still see some men in suits, but far more in just jacket with no tie, or chinos and a collared shirt.

I'm in the minority with this but we are all for getting formal! We are flying from NY to FL and will be on vacation for 2 full weeks. Did not want to be bothered with transporting a suit/shoes for him so we rented one through royal. $111 for the deluxe package & shoes and we won't have to worry about it as it will be pressed and ready by 6pm on embarkation day. We are excited to dress to the nines. :)

Sent from my N9518 using Forums mobile app

I'm in the minority with this but we are all for getting formal! We are flying from NY to FL and will be on vacation for 2 full weeks. Did not want to be bothered with transporting a suit/shoes for him so we rented one through royal. $111 for the deluxe package & shoes and we won't have to worry about it as it will be pressed and ready by 6pm on embarkation day. We are excited to dress to the nines. :)

Sent from my N9518 using Forums mobile app

Have a wonderful cruise! :)

Yes, so sad that Caribbean cruisers do not make an effort to dress up on formal night... Thankfully they still do on cruises out of the UK and in the med.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm the OP, I do agree and have said we enjoy dressing up for formal nights. Our ex UK cruises have always had a very good turnout on those nights and it's great to see everyone in their finest. We also sail Celebrity and they have replaced formal with evening chic and even so Ex UK sailings have seen a very nice turnout, fewer Tuxs but smartly dressed people. I think the disappointment is that Royal maintain the pretence by their dress code descriptions but it sounds like in the Caribbean anything goes. They should either enforce formality or drop the pretence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They should either enforce formality or drop the pretence.

They will never enforce formality because they care much more about revenue than what you wear. I am one that would not be sailing if they enforced their formal night suggestion.

RC would make people much happier I believe if they would create a list of what is not allowed, like baseball caps and basketball shorts. Then everyone can dress however they are comfortable. I have no problem if people want to dress to the nines, just don't get upset if I don't have a jacket and tie on.

Dress is not really formal, however, most guys will wear a dress shirt and tie at the least. (Yes some will not bother, but that is not really the norm). I always travel with a pair of shoes, dress shirt, dress pants and tie. Since you are going to the Caribbean, your other clothes are lighter, so the weight should not be an issue.

Yes, so sad that Caribbean cruisers do not make an effort to dress up on formal night

Why is it sad? Just because people don't happen to agree with your personal preferences? The people have spoken and the vast majority do not want to dress formally on a Caribbean cruise, as evidenced by how few actually do it! Do people take a tux and gown when they go to a beach resort for a week? No, so why the big deal on a cruise? The only reason formal night is still a thing is because it's the last remaining vestige of the formal atmosphere on ocean liners of yesteryear. But times change and nobody wants to dress up the way they did back then during the DAY (morning coats on men, hats and gloves on ladies, etc.), so I don't understand the fascination with continuing to bemoan the lack of formal attire at night.