12 at dinner?

penlanspice

The last time we did traditional dining, we were at a table for 10 and it was awful. It was so crowded that you could barely move and there was no way to talk with people at the other end. Ask for adjacent tables and rotate between them from one night to the next.

I think the idea of two adjacent six tops is a good idea.....and I would suggest fixed dining. I am getting ready to post a rant on our recent select dining experience on the Silhouette. I am not sure if select dining (even with reservations) is a total farce on all ships but our recent experience on Silhouette was quite poor.

We have cruised with our extended family twice.....11 people and sat together in the MDR -we had a set dining time. I will say that it was tight, but we rotated seating so everyone could talk.

One thing that sticks out most is that the staff will pace dinner to the slowest eater. This means that the fast eaters (or those that want to go somewhere after dinner - like this shows) might be held up by a slow eater.

As others have suggested, having two tables is a good idea. You really can't have a conversation with those at the other end. Six is manageable.

I know that 11 CAN be done......not sure if we'd do it again though.

We are a party of 12 and just wondering if there's any chance we would all be seated together for dinner? the website states 10 max per table but just hoping there might be a change the maitred might seat us together.

First of all . Make sure that the bookings are linked to each other. You probably won't get a table for twelve. Ask for two tables of six. This way people can change tables and have different people to talk with.

The last time we did traditional dining, we were at a table for 10 and it was awful. It was so crowded that you could barely move and there was no way to talk with people at the other end. Ask for adjacent tables and rotate between them from one night to the next.

Best answer

On our last X cruise,we asked for a new table assignment after the first night. We were included in a group of 8,making it 10 people at 2 tables pushed together. Since it was a 2 week cruise,we rotated seating every night so we could all get to know each other. It worked well.

Twice we have had family groups, one for 12 and the other for 14. Celebrity fixed the table areas into one big table. We rotated so everyone could visit with different family members each night. Kids were in the kid's club so they left a little early each evening. We had the set dining time and they were expecting the kids. Youngest was 7 at the time up to 17 yrs old. Wouldn't trade it for 2 or more tables for anything! It keeps you feeling connected and we were there to spend time as a family more than anything! The key to me was having great wait staff who is willing to serve us!! They definitely earned the extra tips!!

We have cruised with our extended family twice.....11 people and sat together in the MDR -we had a set dining time. I will say that it was tight, but we rotated seating so everyone could talk.

One thing that sticks out most is that the staff will pace dinner to the slowest eater. This means that the fast eaters (or those that want to go somewhere after dinner - like this shows) might be held up by a slow eater.

As others have suggested, having two tables is a good idea. You really can't have a conversation with those at the other end. Six is manageable.

I know that 11 CAN be done......not sure if we'd do it again though.

We have also had a table of 11 for select dining. I had or TA make reservations ahead of time for the same time each evening. Two table will work also if you wish. Make plans ahead of time is my best advice.

Largest tables have the slowest service...breakfast, dinner or lunch.

When we used to have dinner in mdr, 6 to 8 size was ideal for good service..It would work as well for lg group, esp if not all come to mdr every nite.

We now do AQ with Blu...

Edited by hcat

We are a party of 12 and just wondering if there's any chance we would all be seated together for dinner? the website states 10 max per table but just hoping there might be a change the maitred might seat us together.

Check with the Maître D upon boarding. They are your best source for help in this instance.

12 is too many.