New Luggage

dvcmember

My cruise is under 50 days away and starting to put things together for the cruise. It's never too early to start packing!

Just purchased 6 new pieces of Delsey spinner luggage. Never had such fancy luggage in our life. This should take care of our needs for our 10-day Eastern Caribbean in December and our 18-Day Circle of Hawaii in 2017. For that matter, the rest of our cruising.

Does good luggage really make a difference? Tired of seeing everyone else have that spinner luggage and us with just 2 wheels and those $60 luggage sets during doorbuster sales.

Any advise to keep that polycarbonate luggage looking new?

How long your luggage looks new depends on how well it is treated by the airline ;) or shuttles, etc. ;)

enjoy - spinners are great but we certainly have some marks on ours:eek::o

My cruise is under 50 days away and starting to put things together for the cruise. It's never too early to start packing!

Just purchased 6 new pieces of Delsey spinner luggage. Never had such fancy luggage in our life. This should take care of our needs for our 10-day Eastern Caribbean in December and our 18-Day Circle of Hawaii in 2017. For that matter, the rest of our cruising.

Does good luggage really make a difference? Tired of seeing everyone else have that spinner luggage and us with just 2 wheels and those $60 luggage sets during doorbuster sales.

Any advise to keep that polycarbonate luggage looking new?

We have had our pebble-grained Delsey luggage for four years now and it is still going strong after lots of flights/cruises. I can loop a strap through the handles and guide all of the suitcases through terminals thanks to the spinner wheels. When it comes to curbs, spinners are not very effective.

It is important to note that HAL laundry service quality/efficiency has allowed us to pack for only four days so we don't need many suitcases.

If you want that luggage to stay new.... keep it home or only use on road trips.

Airline and cruise staff abuse my luggage. Spinners? Hope the wheels don't get caught during the transfers where the wheels are snapped off over time.

Love my 2 wheel Samsonite where the wheels are recessed. Yep it's scratched up for my travels.

[YOUTUBE]9MZqiE3yGlQ[/YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE]mU6F12S6q48[/YOUTUBE]

I've had spinners for quite a while and neither airlines nor Amtrak nor cruise lines have broken any wheels. But they have scuffed the pretty colored surface. The first scratch on my pretty turquoise bag bothered me for about a minute and then I realized that scuffed luggage is a sign that you've traveled a lot.

Does anyone else remember the days before they moved luggage in the cages? On the last night, we would see mountains of suitcases at the ends of hallways or in lobby areas. I tried not to look too closely, in case I'd see mine on the bottom of the pile. :eek:

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I love spinners as the 2-wheeled ones put my body out of alignment and I end up with aches and pains. I like the lightest possible suitcases (usually IT brand) that I buy on sale. If it gets damaged beyond repair - good excuse to buy a new one!

You folks are amazing. That's why I asked the experts. I am going to Laundry service this cruise to try it out. For $29 a bag, why not. I've they handle the laundry very well!

Enjoy the laundry service - remember more fits in the bag if you roll things up as tight as you can.

One suggestion with the polycarb luggage: pack these cases as full as you can especially the larger ones as smaller and heavier bags may be thrown on top and have seen a few with bashed in tops.... You will love the spinners - enjoy as makes most everything so much easier!

We purchased our newest luggage set three years ago and, in spite of frequent use and some obviously rough handling, the spinners wheels are still intact and functioning wonderfully. I'd never buy another set without them. As for appearance, as long as the contents remain safe and sound I really don't worry about scuffs and scratches.

Modern technology is producing luggage that is lighter and thinner (ergo, roomier) than ever. It's a good investment. I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years.

So far as scrapes and dings, consider them battle scars. It will show you're a seasoned traveler!

A good friend had a nasty accident re escalator one of the two wheel suitcases. The friend put the suitcase on the down escalator was on one step and friend was on the one step higher. We all do. Holding the handle the suitcase started to topple over. Before friend could let go, she went first head first down the escalator. She was very seriously injured and took many months in hospital. The warning is today.... DON'T DO IT! Use the lifts (elevator).

I've heard so much negativity about spinners that it's a pleasure to read positives. When we were in Barcelona last May I was impressed by the ease with which folks were moving spinner luggage up the street to the aeorport bus.

I had struggled with our two two-wheeled cases. (Hubby with cane cannot pull a two-wheeled suitcase). So the first thing we did when we got home was buy a spinner. It's packed now, waiting for our flight back to Barcelona for ta. Looking forward to using it.

A little off the subject, if I may....

A couple of years ago, after picking up our luggage at the Fiumicino Airport, Rome, my wife and I were using the ramp from the baggage claim area down to the taxi area, each rolling 2 wheeled suite cases. As usual I was ahead of my wife. All of a sudden, as I neared the bottom of the ramp, my wife's 2 suite cases rolled past me. I looked around to find my wife, on her backside, being helped to her feet by other passengers, who, obviously were having trouble keeping their feet. We found out later, that someone had leaked olive oil from one of their bags, resulting in a mini skating rink. Fortunately, only her pride was hurt.

I love buying luggage (and handbags, for that matter), so we ended up with many different types and sizes of luggage at home. Sometimes buying extra ones while on trips. Just love the spinners set we got last year, lightweight and easy to handle. We don't take the whole set usually, just one big or medium each between the two of us. Makes a lot of difference when traveling with easy to handle luggage.

We got a his and hers set. This stuff was not cheap. It was $1,380 MSRP from the manufacturer website. With a special of 80% off with an additional 20% for subscribing to their newsletter. $424 with tax and free shipping was a heck of a deal for $2,600+ luggage. It was given as a gift to the artists to the MTV Music Video Awards - so it cannot be that bad. Thought I scored a deal of a lifetime for luggage.

We travel with 20 inch rollers. All we care about is the weight, the quality of the two wheels, and the sturdiness of the handle/arm. DW bought a Rick Steves carry on roller a few years ago. Seems OK. Mine is old and looks it. Up for replacement but no hurry until I find the right bag. I want one of those light, frame less units but is must have high end wheels and pull handle.

We find luggage and mattresses to have one thing in common. Hard to find any that are not at least 50 percent off. We have seen some bags in the outlet stores that are made specifically for those stores and not for regular luggage stores. A few clerks have confirmed as much but once in a while they do get a real deal on remainders or returned items.

Edited by iancal

Not a fan of spinners. They are good if most of your travel is on smooth surfaces (like airport walkways, modern sidewalks, hotel lobbies). Not so good if you do a lot of travel to places with cobblestones, old sidewalks, rough paving, etc.

Give me my sturdy Eagle Creek bags with two heavy-duty wheels any day! The bags are lightweight and the material is very durable. The wheels are rubber and look like mini versions of off-road tires.

The trick is only taking luggage you can easily manage. Pack less; travel more easily! (My mantra.)