Explorer cancellation

Gray Eagle02

We do not buy insurance to cover the cost of our trip as our credit card insurances generally cover the cost. However, we do buy it for the medical evacuation part when we are overseas. We put in the least amount you can cover and then buy $1M in evacuation. It also includes extra medical etc. Ends up costing less than $200 for both of us. After hearing of people who had heart attacks etc and the costs incurred we want to be able to be flown wherever we want/need to be treated.

Hi findacruise! After reviewing the benefits of my credit card, I think I have adequate coverage..... doesn't cover everything but pretty close. Where do you purchase your med evacuation coverage? are you also purchasing medical insurance coverage?

findacruise: Can you tell me, please, which insurance you buy? We've always done CSA because they cover pre-existing conditions (though that whole concept seems to be somewhat of a slippery slope). We're at the point where it's increasingly likely that we might need the evacuation coverage, and we've not bought it in the past. Less than $200 for two people seems like a real bargain. I suppose the rate has something to do with age, and if that's the case ours is not likely to be that low. But I'd like to inquire, and probably have been remiss in not doing so in the past.

I probably should start a new thread with this specific question. There has been comment on evacuation insurance in a number of previous postings, but they've been among other details, and I think I'd have difficulty finding them.

Thank you--and I hope that your husband's recovery is going well. Such things are obviously not a whole lot of fun.

We carry MedJet Assit. We always buy cruise insurance as well. CC insurance is a very slippery slope as they don't cover pre-existing conditions. We will not self insure a 100k cruise. I don't care how much money one has that is a crazy financial decision. Penny wise and pound foolish.

For evacuation and immediate repatriation to a hospital of your doctors choice look into MedJet. With CC evacuation you will find too much red tape when time may be of the essence.

Suite Travels, Thanks for the uncalled for insult. Any financial decision is an individual choice and the evaluation is on a net dollar and cents basis. I am way ahead of the game and do not need to be told that I am crazy.

Spend many dollars on insurance, make up many more by not doing so.

I just spoke with MedJet assist and learned that at our age we'd need to purchase an annual policy-- which doesn't make sense for us, as we don't do much traveling anymore. Also, it'd cost just about $1000 for the two of us. I understand that if we needed medical evacuation, it'd cost a WHOLE lot more, but $1000 seems just too high-- especially when someone mentions they can get that sort of insurance for under $200. (I can't imagine that such insurance would be anywhere near that inexpensive for people in their upper 80's.)

If anyone knows of a less expensive way to be covered for such circumstances, I'm hoping to learn more. But I really ought to ask the question on a separate thread.

Edited by poss

This is an interesting thread. But holiday insurance depends on quite a few factors such as, country of residence, how many to be covered, their ages, past medical conditions and whether a one holiday contract or an annual one. We try to have an annual contract including cancellation and health benefits including evacuation as we take at least holidays a year, but costs are getting very high because we are getting older and have some medical conditions. There are two companies in Britain that are prepared to give full cover irrespective of age and past and current medical condition, but we find them very expensive. The risk of self insurance is too high for us, so sadly the time may come when we can cruise no more.

Edited by eliana

As an RN and ARNP with ER experience I have heard many horrific stories regarding med evacuation costs. I always contract insurance ASAP after booking a cruise tocover pre-existing conditions. I always increase med evacuation coverage to a minimum of $100,000. The most expensive part of coverage is the cancellation coverage, med evacuation is relatively inexpensive. However, should either party need med evacuation the cost could be astronomical. We are fortunate that we are retired military and Tricare does provide worldwide coverage, including medical evacuation. This, however, is on a space available basis and not guaranteed. On the cruise that we just cancelled I expect to recover the $25,000 cost of the cruise. The cost of the insurance was nearly $2000. So for us this is well worth the cost of insurance. However, I always purchase the insurance for the medical evacuation coverage, which is relatively inexpensive. The loss of $25,000 is not insubstantial but the cost of medical evacuation could be financially catescropic.

I just spoke with MedJet assist and learned that at our age we'd need to purchase an annual policy-- which doesn't make sense for us, as we don't do much traveling anymore. Also, it'd cost just about $1000 for the two of us. I understand that if we needed medical evacuation, it'd cost a WHOLE lot more, but $1000 seems just too high-- especially when someone mentions they can get that sort of insurance for under $200. (I can't imagine that such insurance would be anywhere near that inexpensive for people in their upper 80's.)

If anyone knows of a less expensive way to be covered for such circumstances, I'm hoping to learn more. But I really ought to ask the question on a separate thread.

I understand your premium is higher but we are in our late fifties and yes it does go up after I think seventy. Our premium is much lower for now but will go up if we are lucky to make it past seventy.

As an RN and ARNP with ER experience I have heard many horrific stories regarding med evacuation costs. I always contract insurance ASAP after booking a cruise tocover pre-existing conditions. I always increase med evacuation coverage to a minimum of $100,000. The most expensive part of coverage is the cancellation coverage, med evacuation is relatively inexpensive. However, should either party need med evacuation the cost could be astronomical. We are fortunate that we are retired military and Tricare does provide worldwide coverage, including medical evacuation. This, however, is on a space available basis and not guaranteed. On the cruise that we just cancelled I expect to recover the $25,000 cost of the cruise. The cost of the insurance was nearly $2000. So for us this is well worth the cost of insurance. However, I always purchase the insurance for the medical evacuation coverage, which is relatively inexpensive. The loss of $25,000 is not insubstantial but the cost of medical evacuation could be financially catescropic.

You are so correct about medical evacuation costs. With no insurance flight time on a medical jet will cost 5-8K per hour and this does not include the accompanying paramedic or nurse. Yes, this can put a financial dent on you and with no cruise insurance another whack if you are on the cruise.

We know of one couple that went through this on a segment of the world cruise on Crystal and had to be evacuated...no insurance at all and a total loss of 150K with no recourse. The good news is her husband survived and that is all that matters in the big picture.

People think it will not happen to them but when it does it can cost you way more than they expect. If you have insurance and something happens you will be so thankful you have it.

Suite Travels, Thanks for the uncalled for insult. Any financial decision is an individual choice and the evaluation is on a net dollar and cents basis. I am way ahead of the game and do not need to be told that I am crazy.

Spend many dollars on insurance, make up many more by not doing so.

I was not insulting you personally at all geez. Just stating my personal opinion in general. Lighten up.

findacruise: Can you tell me, please, which insurance you buy? We've always done CSA because they cover pre-existing conditions (though that whole concept seems to be somewhat of a slippery slope). We're at the point where it's increasingly likely that we might need the evacuation coverage, and we've not bought it in the past. Less than $200 for two people seems like a real bargain. I suppose the rate has something to do with age, and if that's the case ours is not likely to be that low. But I'd like to inquire, and probably have been remiss in not doing so in the past.

First, we use CC for insurance for cancellation etc. because we do not have any pre-existing conditions. We each have Chase Preferred which provides 10K for you and your travel companion per card. So, if our cruise happened to be 20K each, I'd put 10K of each on each card. (Obviously we aren't doing any world cruises or we'd have to buy insurance for the difference or use more credit cards.)

For the evacuation policy I recently purchased Travelguard but have also used CSA. It comes with medical, too. (and have filed a claim previously which was paid within 2 weeks) We got either $500,000 or $1 million for evacuation. (Sorry we are back and I pitched the paper) My husband is 75 and I am 67. The big expense comes when you are insuring a large amount for a trip, as the medical is just sort of there. The insurance company has a bigger chance of the trip being canceled than you needing medical, I guess. That's why the amount of the trip I insure is only about $200 or so. You can play around with the isured amount and watch what it does to the premium.

Hope this helps and didn't confuse too much.

We are based in the U.K. and none of our credit cards seem to cover travel insurance. We use BA/American Express, Barclaycard (visa) and Saga. Does anyone know of UK credit cards that do include travel insurance?

I have always used Travel Guard and am presently making our first claim ( cancellation). I always get $500,000 evacuation and repatriation of remains coverage ( I erroneously noted $100,000 in my previous post). A number of years ago I got HAL insurance when sailing on the Eurodam. The coverage was okay except for unacceptably low medical and evacuation coverage. I was able to purchase additional AMEX coverage for medical/evacuation for about $35.00pp. I don't remember the amount of coverage but it was significant. It was really good as you could pick and choose exactly what coverage you desired; cancellation was by far the single most expensive item. Since that time AMEX no longer offers travel insurance, at least not for those that have not booked trips using the AMEX travel services.

Rachel is correct. Both Platinum and Centurion include travel insurance. That being said, beware! My nephew who is a lawyer cruises and has read the contract and he told me the policy has more holes than Swiss cheese. We buy Travel Guard along with MedJet and at our age is very reasonable.

Rachel is correct. Both Platinum and Centurion include travel insurance. That being said, beware! My nephew who is a lawyer cruises and has read the contract and he told me the policy has more holes than Swiss cheese. We buy Travel Guard along with MedJet and at our age is very reasonable.

With Amex, you have to pay for the entire trip with the card. I am very careful to do that.

With Amex, you have to pay for the entire trip with the card. I am very careful to do that.

You made my day with your post. We pay for all of our trips on Amex Platinum (branded) -- enjoy getting $300 OBC and have used their points to buy my last computer. Good to hear that they still have some type of travel insurance!

The travel insurances provided by Amex Platinum is basically for lost luggage and in the event of death, not illness, bringing home the remains. All other services, they will assist the card member, but charge for all services.

Even with luggage, it is not primary coverage, you must first go through your homeowner's policy and then fight and fight with Amex to get any type of reimbursement.

As previously noted, the actually policy is really not worth the paper it is written on. You also need to be careful with car insurance - good friends of mine went to Napa and were victims of a smash and grab and lost all their luggage - so far Amex has not paid a dime.

gnomie :)

Travel Suite and gnome1 are correct in regard to the travel insurance provided by Amex, (and all other credit cards). I used to be in the business and have read many credit card insurance contracts. None are substitutes for travel insurance, particularly in regard to medical, evacuation and repatriation coverage.

J 595/40

Guess that it was an anomaly when Amex paid for lost luggage. We do not depend upon Amex or any other company to reimburse us -- we self-insure. However, after reading about Metjet and speaking with them, we will insure our next two cruises (after our two cruises in November). We have excellent medical coverage out of the country but transportation home could be an issue.

Three years ago I was hospitalized for a week in Sydney, Australia (after the cruise but during the 3-night Regent sponsored post-cruise). Thankfully, our TA worked with Regent and we were able to fly non-stop from Sydney to Vancouver (after waiting 10 days to receive approval from the doctor for me to fly. Thankfully, the Four Seasons Hotel gave us Regent rates during our stay). As has been said, one never knows when something could happen and it is not always age-related.

P.S. Although this was life-threatening, it was simply a case of my ignoring "heart-burn" for so long that it punctured my stomach - causing massive internal bleeding. I mention this so that posters reading this pay attention to the symptoms. I am extremely thankful to have made a full recovery. We found that health care in Australia far exceeds health care in the U.S.

Edited by Travelcat2

Gray Eagle 2,

We also have Tricare but have never used overseas for medical. My concern about counting on it is this. I would probably have to sign a document that says I will pay any excess after insurance coverage. So, say the cost is $1,000 and Tricare pays $100. The rack rates for medical care and the insurance reimbursements are usually far apart. Ever used Tricare? Thanks.

I searched the insurance threads and found this. Several other vets complained about Tricare not paying. It seems odd that Tricare would be this difficult but apparently is. Time to call them directly:

The correct procedure for retired military (under medicare and TFL) for submitting medical claims for out of country claims not covered my Medicare is to submit to TRICARE OVERSEAS where it is covered less deductables and co-pays by TRICARE STANDARD, after they make their payment submit to VACATION PROTECTION where they will pay any unreinbursed costs. TRICARE FOR LIFE is not included in the proper procedure for coverage. Found this out while waiting for TFL to reply and happened upon an article in NAVY TIMES that explained the correct way to submit this type of claim. We have been reimbursed 100% for all costs related with my wife's broken ankle while on a 32 day cruise.

quote.gif