Your Vote Matters...

Option 1, hands down. Belize is a place worth taking a cruise for even if you don't like any of the other islands, just to be able to snorkel there. I have yet to find a more beautiful reef than the one in Belize; it is the second largest reef in the world (after Australia) and Belize is very environmentally conscious. When it comes to their reef, it's well protected and so much more colorful, large and more beautiful than the reefs off other Caribbean islands, which are often green or brown and dull and dead looking, with some color mixed in, but nothing at all like the beautiful reef in Belize, because they aren't as well protected.

I'm also not a fan of the big ships like Allure. I haven't sailed her, but I've done a lot of research about it, and since I cruise to see the islands and the beaches, I don't want to be enclosed on a resort on water, which is what the Allure seem to be to me. If I want a huge resort, I'll go on a land vacation to an all-inclusive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I'm also not a fan of the big ships like Oasis. I haven't sailed her, but I've done a lot of research about it, and since I cruise to see the islands and the beaches, I don't want to be enclosed on a resort on water, which is what the Oasis seem to be to me. If I want a huge resort, I'll go on a land vacation to an all-inclusive.

Exactly what every skeptic says having not sailed on the Oasis class. Then they return and the reviews are phenomenal.

I used to say the same thing, now Oasis Class is one of my favorites, tied with Freedom.

I know it sounds cliché, but this is one of those things that you really do have to try before you can judge it. There's nothing else like it and no way to describe it.

Exactly what every skeptic says having not sailed on the Oasis class. Then they return and the reviews are phenomenal.

I used to say the same thing, now Oasis Class is one of my favorites, tied with Freedom.

I know it sounds cliché, but this is one of those things that you really do have to try before you can judge it. There's nothing else like it and no way to describe it.

You have a point. I've been tempted to try it, but I just can't get over the idea of not being able to walk around the top of the ship and be on the ocean. I had my daughter look at it too, and she said she thinks it's too big and looks dark, and when we "parked" next to the Allure in Cozumel once she said she hated that hole through the middle of the ship and didn't like how dark and closed in it looked; I agreed. So until we've exhausted tours on other ships I probably won't try them.

I also think the big ships have the least desirable itineraries and they are extremely repetitive, so again, until I've tired myself out on getting to all the other places, it's on the bottom of my list. But maybe someday. If someone gave it to me free I certainly wouldn't turn it down, but I feel my money is better spent elsewhere for the experience I'm going for. I sail mainly for the islands, not the ship, and the big ships are never getting to those southern islands, which are my favorite, and there are so many of them!

Edited by ColoradoGurl

You have a point. I've been tempted to try it, but I just can't get over the idea of not being able to walk around the top of the ship and be on the ocean. I had my daughter look at it too, and she said she thinks it's too big and looks dark, and when we "parked" next to the Allure in Cozumel once she said she hated that hole through the middle of the ship and didn't like how dark and closed in it looked; I agreed. So until we've exhausted tours on other ships I probably won't try them.

I also think the big ships have the least desirable itineraries and they are extremely repetitive, so again, until I've tired myself out on getting to all the other places, it's on the bottom of my list. But maybe someday. If someone gave it to me free I certainly wouldn't turn it down, but I feel my money is better spent elsewhere for the experience I'm going for.

I had the same thoughts before I sailed on it!

I can agree that the itineraries are boring and repetitive, but for 2017 they are more in line with other ships. They are offering the St. Maarten, San Juan, Labadee itinerary and added St. Kitts to Allure and Harmony.

The Western route and the Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten routes are very blah.

My vote would be for Liberty with its better itinerary as well as cost. As others have mentioned Nassau is not a great port stop especially in January when it is likely to be cold there. IMHO Belize is a much better port stop.

Also you didn't mention the type of cabin or cabins your family wanted.

Liberty offers larger family cabins especially the PF panoramic family ocean view at 406 sq. ft. and two bathrooms. A PF is shown in the shots below. These cabins and the other panoramic view cabins forward on deck 12 are awesome with the space they offer and the fantastic bridge type views.

We flew into Houston's Hobby, on SW, which was very convenient to and found Galveston a great departure port to visit when we did our cruises out of there.

attachment.php?attachmentid=397171&d=1477646946

attachment.php?attachmentid=397172&d=1477646946

attachment.php?attachmentid=397173&d=1477646946

P1250701.jpg.fee37e395111b2ea10334a52ec22d0af.jpg

P1250705.jpg.78728ba8332ae33ae0d915c89a0120f3.jpg

P1250702.jpg.38e08d4b3c216cd31feb94064aac5c90.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

I also think the big ships have the least desirable itineraries and they are extremely repetitive, so again, until I've tired myself out on getting to all the other places, it's on the bottom of my list. But maybe someday. If someone gave it to me free I certainly wouldn't turn it down, but I feel my money is better spent elsewhere for the experience I'm going for. I sail mainly for the islands, not the ship, and the big ships are never getting to those southern islands, which are my favorite, and there are so many of them!

It is worth a try . . . I just did the Allure in May and I will probably not go back . . . I did appreciate the cruise but it just ended up doing things that do not interest us. Not to mention for how big the ship is, it got pretty repetitive quicker than it probably should of. I also missed having more night activities on the pool deck where most of the stuff happens inside on the Promenade deck on Allure. Free dining overall lacked throughout the cruise as well. The itineraries are not too varied either.

Mamma Mia was great as were the speciality dining venues . . . and I managed to have a great time during all three port days . . . So my focus on future cruises are more about Ports and less about the ship. But I needed the Allure trip to help me make that decision so I certainly do not regret it.

My other factor is it's an early January cruise in both cases... Nassau water temp would be chilly in the mid 70s from what I've read.

Maybe I'm over thinking this!!! :confused:

We have had a cool first day in Nassau in March once, due to a huge cold front. That being said when we sailed out of Galveston in February the entire first and last day was too cool to sit on the pool deck. It really is by chance when it comes to weather.

We didn't have delays at either port, but I have read about weather delays for ships at Galveston due to winds and fog. Port Everglades doesn't seem to have these delays. I have read that customs delays in Galveston can be crippling possibly because of the state tax on booze for residents or just poor organization. I have been in line at FLL but not for hours like the threads I've read about Galveston.

The commute from the Houston airport is almost an hour each way as well. We used Royal Carriage Limo and if you need car survive they were amazing. We have used them 5 others times when we visited Houston for their International Livestock Show. FLL to PE is a 8 minute taxi ride.

Just a few extra points to consider.

I haven't sailed either yet but I am sailing Liberty in April!

We sailed out of Galveston (we are From Boston!) in 2015 and enjoyed it a lot - there are risks like fog, so don't plan to travel on your return day.

We loved visiting the area. The Space Center, Moody Gardens, the seacoast (and they have a great Mardi Gras if that's when you are going!).

For or family - we really enjoyed navigator and have decided to work our way up to allure by enjoying Freedom Class first plus we wanted to try the water slides on Liberty and they have our favorite specialty restaurants. Someday - I am looking forward to the Broadway shows and spaces on board allure but I know it will still be there when in a few years!

We had same choice, last April while on Liberty , was booking 2 cruises for 2017, same 1,000 difference so we will be back on Liberty next April, also got great deal on Navigator for 9 nights in Nov same price as 7 night Liberty, Will do Allure sooner or later maybe 2018

Interesting wrinkle... just checked pricing on flights and the 2 cabins we are looking at this morning. Prices dropped on both. Big drop in the flight. Looking at only about a $300 difference now...

Not making this easy!!!

The only other cruise we went on was the Liberty. As much as I really want to see Belize, I'm leaning Allure just to experience a new ship/class.

Ugghhhh... Need to just pull the trigger already!!! :confused:

Interesting wrinkle... just checked pricing on flights and the 2 cabins we are looking at this morning. Prices dropped on both. Big drop in the flight. Looking at only about a $300 difference now...

Not making this easy!!!

The only other cruise we went on was the Liberty. As much as I really want to see Belize, I'm leaning Allure just to experience a new ship/class.

Ugghhhh... Need to just pull the trigger already!!! :confused:

You don't need any voting on this. Flip a coin and pick one already.

Don't you know that all voting is rigged.:p

I vote for Allure. Both are great ships, but FLL beats Galveston as a fly-in departure port hands down. As others have said, weather in January is also a factor. First and last day out of Galveston are likely to be chilly. FLL may also be a little cool but not nearly as bad. Fog is also a factor to consider when sailing from Gulf Coast ports in the winter months.

For $300 I say Allure all the way!!!

We sailed out of Galveston once on Carnival and will be again on the Liberty in April....if you've already gone out of Galveston then definitely try Fort Lauderdale/Allure. I do think it's a better port to sail out of (or at least easier) And January is prime time for fog in Galveston...we were delayed hours for embarkation on ours. We still had fun of course and it was very creepy to be sitting outside in a constant fog! Also, it was very chilly the last 2 days of the cruise but fog free. That sailing was actually the first weekend of February but I believe January and February are the highest risks for major fog there. You may have no issues whatsoever but I would just want to try something new and the Oasis class usually a bit higher then most other ships.

Edited by KG1924

Sounds like you may have a plane ticket in there somewhere, so you'll need to factor travel costs to port.

Both Port Everglades and Galveston are pretty horrid as far as embarkation/dembarkation. So that's a wash. I would have labeled Galveston worse, but that's before the porter in Fort Lauderdale lost our luggage. Port Everglades also had a problem pulling the Serenade into a dock meant for a larger ship which meant the luggage got jammed somehow.

Been to all four ports. I'd skip Nassau (higher crime), but Belize also has some issues. Beautiful port, but iron bars on all the windows. Costa Maya is always beautiful.

Some old geologist mentioned great geology in Belize. Like the Permian Basin was millions of years ago. Also Belize is a few feet below sea level.