Need help ASAP, being denied boarding for Chinese visa

We just arrived home last week from a stay in China before we boarded Mariner. There is now a visa free stay of 144 hours but only from arriving and leaving from certain ports. Eg, you can fly into Shanghai and leave from the cruise port with no visa needed. You cannot fly into Beijing and leave from Shanghai cruise port. We had to get visas for our trip.

So, what I am saying is the port you are going to visit, isn't on the list that allows for the visa free visits. Here is a link to the information I used.

Everyone needs to do their due diligence and not just believe everything the cruise lines or travel agents tell them. I hope you have a great trip regardless of missing this port.

Edited by joandian

Thank goodness you're at least onboard now! I hope it gets resolved in time for you to be able to enjoy the Chinese port. I think I'll always err on the side of caution with visas after reading so many stories about being denied boarding and conflicting visa info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's unfortunate you will have to miss that port, especially since they assured you that you wouldn't need a visa, but I'm glad they let you on the ship! I'm glad that I saw this because it lets me know that once I start cruising from non-US ports I'd better triple check whether I need a visa & not necessarily believe what the cruise line says since obviously their word can't be trusted!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Amen. My thoughts exactly. I am thankful to th OP for bringing this to everyone's attention- I am pretty good at figuring out the rules and following them, but there is nothing wrong with triple checking. TY!

Hey everyone!

Just arrived home safe and sound. Appreciate all the comments here!

I learned that there was in fact 3 other Americans on board who also did not have Chinese visas. The one couple I met had said they contacted a visa agency and were told they were okay under a 24 hour exemption!

Upon further research, I cannot believe how many topics on cruise critic there are over the confusion with Chinese visas! I know RCCL doesn't want to burden themselves with the responsibility, BUT HERES THE SILLINESS IN THAT: RCCL employees at the pier knew of the visa requirements, so there's no good reason RCCL employees cannot know in their call centers.

I can only hope this thread serves as future warning to cruisers who may come across this in their search results of this forum.

Oh that said it was a good cruise. Maybe not perfect, but still enjoyable.

Edited by PropsR4boats

BUT HERES THE SILLINESS IN THAT: RCCL employees at the pier knew of the visa requirements, so there's no good reason RCCL employees cannot know in their call centers.

Those employees at the port only have to know the rules in one place - their port. The call center employees would have to know it for every port, and every passanger from every country. A little different.

But I do agree the warning is good for all of us.

I'm happy for you, but as others have said, I don't think that you read the document that you cited very well. In addition to the points previously made, I'd add the following:

At the top of the document in bold red letters it states "It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify and obtain all required travel documents for all ports." That pretty clear: the onus is on you and you alone.

It goes on to say "The requirements on this document were accurate as of July 3, 2014 but should be validated by the guest prior to leaving home through an Embassy, Passport or Visa service." Not validate through RCI or your TA.

Anyway, lesson learned.

Edited by Fouremco

We needed a Visa to go to Sydney, Australia. So happy your on board and at least can enjoy your cruise even though your unable to get off at the one port. I check individual ports we will visit to check if a Visa is needed and don't rely on the RCCL site. I also am informed by our TA who has traveled a lot. Have a wonderful cruise.

Hmm... We visited Sydney and Australia on a cruise 4-5 years ago on Princess. The cruise started in Auckland NZ and we visited Hobart and Melbourne prior to Sydney where the cruise ended, we didn't need a visa, after the cruise we spent a few days in Sydney, Brisbane and most of a week on Heron Island on the GBR. Odd that you needed a visa being from the USA.

JC

Hmm... We visited Sydney and Australia on a cruise 4-5 years ago on Princess. The cruise started in Auckland NZ and we visited Hobart and Melbourne prior to Sydney where the cruise ended, we didn't need a visa, after the cruise we spent a few days in Sydney, Brisbane and most of a week on Heron Island on the GBR. Odd that you needed a visa being from the USA.

JC

We've been to Sydney 4 times (once traveling from Auckland to Sydney, once traveling from Honolulu to Sydney and then 2 other times the cruise originated in Syndey) and each time we needed a Visa to enter. It's called and ETA and is done electronically on-line and all the information is stored on your Passport. Cost is about $20 USD. Is it possible that your TA did it for you?

Edited by cruisenfever

We've been to Sydney 4 times....and each time we needed a Visa to enter. It's called and ETA and is done electronically on-line and all the information is stored on your Passport. Cost is about $20 USD. Is it possible that your TA did it for you?

My husband got his Australia visa at the checkin counter at the airport easy peasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC

You definitely do need a visa to visit Australia and you are very lucky you were allowed to enter the country without one. As someone else mentioned, perhaps a TA or the cruise line organised it for you??