Getting from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Newark Liberty International

littlehamish

My wife and I are first time cruisers, going on the QM2 from Southampton to NY on 19th November 2016. We decided to make our own way back to the UK from NY and have made our own flight arrangements. We disembark on Sat 26th November at the Brooklyn Terminal, and need to get to Newark Liberty Airport for a flight to Iceland late the same afternoon. However there do not appear to be any bus or train connections at the terminal, so it seems like we need to catch a shuttle bus, flag down a taxi or hire a limo.

Does anyone have any experience of making this connection or can suggest a shuttle bus or similar?

QM2 is due to dock at 6:30am. How long does it take to disembark, collect luggage and get through US customs and immigration? We were wondering so we know how much time we have to make the transit, or to be able to specify a pickup time if we have to get a hire car.

Thanks

littleHamish

We are disembarking at Red Hook, Brooklyn, staying in New York for a few days, then flying home from Newark. Here's what I've learned, but obviously I haven't put it into practice yet! Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

The fastest way off the ship is to self disembark. This means you have to carry your own luggage off. I don't know how long immigration will take. I also don't know if you have to be off by a certain time if you self disembark.

The best way to get from Red Hook to Manhattan is by taxi or car service.

From Manhattan the quickest way to Newark is by train from Penn Station. Almost everyone on Tripadvisor counsels against the shuttles as they are deemed to be unreliable.

There is possibly a better way to get to Newark from Brooklyn without going into Manhattan, but if not I'd take a taxi to Penn station then get the train.

I'll be interested to read other folks replies.

Another option is to book Cunard's coach transfer "Port to Newark Airport". The cost is $40.00 per person which is competitive with the prices I am seeing for booking a car service from the port to Newark airport. If you book that Cunard transfer you will probably be called off the ship about 8:15am. After clearing US customs and immigration (regardless of how long that takes), the coach will be waiting for you outside the terminal. You will probably have a bit of a wait onboard the coach until it fills up or until all passengers who have booked that transfer are accounted for. But in any event, the Cunard coach transfer should get you to Newark airport in plenty of time for a late afternoon flight.

Regards,

John

Edited by bluemarble

My wife and I are first time cruisers, going on the QM2 from Southampton to NY on 19th November 2016. We decided to make our own way back to the UK from NY and have made our own flight arrangements. We disembark on Sat 26th November at the Brooklyn Terminal, and need to get to Newark Liberty Airport for a flight to Iceland late the same afternoon. However there do not appear to be any bus or train connections at the terminal, so it seems like we need to catch a shuttle bus, flag down a taxi or hire a limo.

Does anyone have any experience of making this connection or can suggest a shuttle bus or similar?

QM2 is due to dock at 6:30am. How long does it take to disembark, collect luggage and get through US customs and immigration? We were wondering so we know how much time we have to make the transit, or to be able to specify a pickup time if we have to get a hire car.

Thanks

littleHamish

Well if you are on the FI 622 (Icelandair) flight its a late departure around 8:00 pm so you may wish to think about what you do with your day rather than rushing to EWR. If you are being economical there is the bus from Port Authority on 42nd street in Manhattan to EWR after a bit of time in New York.

Barring unusual lateness into the port, you should make a late afternoon flight at Newark with no problem.

I recommend a Cunard bus. If the flight is late enough, see if they have a transfer that includes sightseeing. These often are not the greatest tours, but they beat sitting around an airport for hours and hours. And they have the advantage of carrying your luggage from the cruise terminal to the airport terminal.

I do not recommend taking the train from Penn unless you have VERY little luggage. There is only one elevator from street level down to the concourse, then a long walk through the station to the main waiting area. Then you have to find the elevator down to your track once it's announced--and you've got only 10 minutes and God help you if the elevator you head for is out of order. There is no baggage assistance for NJ Transit, only for Amtrak. Once you get to the Newark Airport station, you have to transfer to the monorail ("AirTrain") to get to your terminal.

If you don't want to take a Cunard bus, with our without a tour, then a car service can get you to the airport. I use Dial 7 to get home from Red Hook and we go right by Newark Airport.

This may be a more expensive way than you want, but what we have done in the past is take a taxi to a luggage storage facility near to Time Square, dump our bags there, then wander around New York for a while, have a nice lunch, and then the baggage storage place will call a car service to get you to the airport.

If the weather has been awful we have ended up in the museums all day, but in July it was great and we did the High Line walk. It adds another fun day to your holiday!

Thanks @bluemarble @3rdGenCunarder - the coach transfer sounds a good idea, though I can't find it on the UK website. I'll try the call centre.

@laktex @safarigal - our flight leaves at 17:25 (WOW Airlines, new service starts mid-November) so we don't think we'll have enough time to visit the city. Last time we went into the US (admittedly by air into San Diego in 2015) it took nearly three hours to get though customs and immigration. :(

Thanks for all the replies

littleHamish

The most tedious part of the operation will be customs. You did not indicate whether you are travelling in "steerage" or in the "grills". The lines at customs for "grills" pax are, understandably, shorter, as there are fewer of them. While going thru customs in "steerage" is more time consuming, self-disembarkation does speed up the process considerably.

For transfer, we have contacted Arecibo Car Hire. They are reasonable, will pick you up right out of customs and deliver you to your destination quickly. shuttle buses only leave when the shuttle is full, or all pax accounted for.

Edited by ednria
clarity

Thanks @bluemarble @3rdGenCunarder - the coach transfer sounds a good idea, though I can't find it on the UK website. I'll try the call centre.

@laktex @safarigal - our flight leaves at 17:25 (WOW Airlines, new service starts mid-November) so we don't think we'll have enough time to visit the city. Last time we went into the US (admittedly by air into San Diego in 2015) it took nearly three hours to get though customs and immigration. :(

Thanks for all the replies

littleHamish

For some reason, the airport transfers often fail to show up in the excursion list. But they will be offered on board.

I forgot to say welcome to Cruise Critic and Welcome to Cunard! QM2 is a very nice way to start sailing!

We will be on this same crossing and have done it quite a few times. Since we live in NJ we take a taxi to Penn and get a NJ transit train home, which is just two more stops beyond EWR. We always do *self help* and are off the ship by 7:00. Since your flight is not until late afternoon, you should have no problems. Our record time getting from ship to home has been just over an hour...leaving the ship @ 7:00 and arriving home a little after 8:00...doesn't get much better than that! :rolleyes: You might be interested in joining the roll call for this crossing: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2211404

-

Safarigal - What is the High Line Walk. Sounds interesting as we are not sure what to do before the Nov. 12th crossing on one day in New York. New York is a big city, but what is best to see?

Laktex - When Queen Mary 2 arrives in New York on Nov. 26/16, she will be docking at Red Hook, so the bus will not be available.

ednria - I was not aware that there were separate lines for grills and "steerage" for imigration when leaving the ship. I have never seen them. Does the grills line also include diamond?

We have an afternoon flight out of EWR. I try not to book a flight that is too early. I am never in a hurry to get off the ship. I would never be able to do self embarkation either. Why hurry up to then have to wait at the airport.

I was thinking of taking the Cunard transfer, but do you have to hurry off if you are taking that? Does anyone know what time the last transfer bus would leave for EWR? The cost is $48.00 per person. I have looked into the cost of car service and it is $98.00. There are only 2 of us, so that would be about the same price. However, I wonder where they pick you up. I do not know what the cruise port at Red Hook looks like.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for replies.

-

I am booked on the Queen Mary 2 from Southampton to New York on May 24, 2017. Cunard provides a transfer from the Port to Newark Airport. I am not sure of the cost exactly but it is definitely worth it.

Depending on so many factors the latest you should get there is around lunch time. The airport has many shops and restaurants and you should be quite comfortable during your wait.

Hope this helps and safe travels.

-

Safarigal - What is the High Line Walk. Sounds interesting as we are not sure what to do before the Nov. 12th crossing on one day in New York. New York is a big city, but what is best to see?

Laktex - When Queen Mary 2 arrives in New York on Nov. 26/16, she will be docking at Red Hook, so the bus will not be available.

ednria - I was not aware that there were separate lines for grills and "steerage" for imigration when leaving the ship. I have never seen them. Does the grills line also include diamond?

We have an afternoon flight out of EWR. I try not to book a flight that is too early. I am never in a hurry to get off the ship. I would never be able to do self embarkation either. Why hurry up to then have to wait at the airport.

I was thinking of taking the Cunard transfer, but do you have to hurry off if you are taking that? Does anyone know what time the last transfer bus would leave for EWR? The cost is $48.00 per person. I have looked into the cost of car service and it is $98.00. There are only 2 of us, so that would be about the same price. However, I wonder where they pick you up. I do not know what the cruise port at Red Hook looks like.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for replies.

-

The High Line is part of an abandoned elevated railroad that has been reclaimed and adapted as a strollway. There are good views and small gardens here and there. It's lovely in spring and summer, but by November it would be a cold walk with nothing in bloom.

I have never seen separate lines for grills at Customs/Immigration at Red Hook or anywhere else I can remember. Priority boarding, yes, but not for disembarking.

They usually do call the bus transfers early. I think they want to load up (and get rid of!) as many people as they can right away.

I am a firm believer in taking public transportation (I used to commute to the city on the train), but NOT when I have a lot of luggage! Like you, I don't want to hurry off the ship. If you're platinum or diamond, there's a place where you can wait. In the past it's been Todd English, although I think we were in the Commodore club one time. If the price difference between the bus and a car service is that small, I'd do the car service. When you exit the terminal, there's a covered area along the walkway. There is some seating, but not a lot. IIRC, the areas are numbered 1 through 5, so you can call your car service and tell them what number you're standing at. If you look at Googlemaps satellite view, you can see a curved structure along the roadway. That's where you stand to wait for your car.

Disembarkation is currently a bit of a mess at Red Hook as there is a shortage of immigration staff. Nor does it help they put US and Non US all in one line. In September I saw even Grill Passengers line up for a long time to get through.

Cunard does sell transfers to EWR which might be the easiest. Check with Icelandair your earliest check in time.

You might want to invest some money to spend more comfortable time at an airport lounge.

Cunard also sold tours and transfers for evening departure JFK (they might have EWR as well) This means you can do some sightseeing without worrying about your luggage

Grills passengers get earlier disembarkation so the lines would not have grown much by the time they retrieve their luggage. AFAIK there isnt a separate immigration queue for grills.

My wife and I are first time cruisers, going on the QM2 from Southampton to NY on 19th November 2016. We decided to make our own way back to the UK from NY and have made our own flight arrangements. We disembark on Sat 26th November at the Brooklyn Terminal, and need to get to Newark Liberty Airport for a flight to Iceland late the same afternoon. ... Thanks littleHamish
Hi littlehamish,

There is an active roll-call (and Meet & Greet organised) for your west-bound crossing here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2211404&page=19

I join QM2 in New York when you disembark, so sorry that I will miss the pleasure of meeting you both on board.

I am surprised that your travel agent or Cunard did not offer you the return flight and secure coach transfer in New York; every time I have crossed on QM2 (even when I booked as close as three weeks out from sailing day on one crossing) I have been automatically offered a return flight to the UK and transfer from the ship to Manhattan and on to the airport.

I didn't have to worry about finding transport or worry about luggage, all was taken care of for me.

As I said, I am surprised that this standard service wasn't offered to you.

Have a great time on board QM2, she is an amazing liner :)

-

Thanks 3rdGenCunarder.....Yes, I remember now seeing a story in our local newspaper when it was completed. At the time I thought that it would be a fun thing to do. However, forgot about it.

As you said, November would not be the best time to do this walk. I will leave it for the next time we are in New York before our crossing to Southampton. Next crossing will be in spring.

-

-

Just read a review from sfo-john who was on a crossing (The date given was October 18, 2016). They mentioned that it was 11:00 am and they were still on the ship. To get off they said that they had an apointment. There was no mention of why it was so late.

Another person mentioned that it was not a good experience leaving the ship in Red Hook in September.

I was going to ask for a car service at 10:00, but now maybe 11:00 would be better. I do not mind waiting. I know that we are to phone the car service when we are ready to be picked up. However, being Canadian, and my phone is only for emergencies (I know, that dates me, but DH is always close by) I would not have a way to phone the car service. If there were Americans around, and if they had time, would they be able to make a local call to the service for me without charges to them?

Booking the crossing was easier decision than booking the transfer to EWR.

Thanks for all information.

I have used car services many times getting from airport hotels to the ship (in both England and New York) but we usually take a Cunard transfer from the ship. I had heard many stories about the horrid experiences arriving in Red Hook so I was dreading our arrival on the 11th of this month. Although we have departed New York many times it has been over 40 years since we arrived in New York by sea.

Our arrival was better than expected. The Verandah restaurant was available to us as a disembarkation lounge, but as we were taking a transfer to EWR we were told not to use that but to go to the Royal Court Theatre. Our expected time to be called was 8:15 but we were called at 8:05. As I searched for our two cases I noticed there was no delay at the immigration wickets. One of our cases could not be found. Several others had the same bad luck. We were not permitted to go past the fence to a different colour of luggage tags, so we had to wait a while. My fear that long queues would form at passport control during this delay was unnecessary. At the time that the Grills were being called off the ship, we were allowed into the other area and most of us were soon re-united with our luggage.

We got through the passport formality quickly and boarded the bus. Luggage was sorted as to the specific EWR terminal. The bus did not depart for almost half an hour because some passengers could not find their luggage. We departed at 9:15 and were at the check-in desk in Terminal B at 10:15. We were able to move our flight to Toronto booked for 2:00 to an earlier one at 11:00. We were very lucky on all counts.

Gosh - almost too much information. Thanks to all you experienced cruisers!

I called the Cunard call centre today, and they did confirm that we could book a transfer from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to EWR at a cost of 40 GBP each before we sail. I think we'll probably take that option, as it seems to remove some of the uncertainty about specifying a pickup time for a private hire car. In some ways I am surprised - and perhaps disappointed - that the whole issue of when you get might get out of disembarkation seems so uncertain. I can understand about US immigration and customs being something that can't be controlled, but the comments about whether we might be in 'steerage' or 'grills' - or going for self disembarkation - and how that affects getting off the ship does seem to add an extra element of unwelcome uncertainty. :(

As suggested, we will join the roll call, and hopefully we will meet you when we are on board and cruising.

Packing list at the ready! Excited!!

Regards

littleHamish

We purchased the Cunard Transfers from Red Hook to EWR on our last QM2 voyage . Went very well , arrived EWR about 10am .

You will have lots of time to kill . I hope that you are going to Terminal C as A & B are smaller and not as modern . C has more dinning options and walking space .

It was $40p/p US .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

@MCC retired - getting to EWR that early would give us a lot of time to kill. :( Did you arrange an early disembarkation time - or was that just how it happened?

Does anyone know if there are left luggage facilities at Terminal B at EWR?

Sorry for all the questions, we're new to all this.

littleHamish

Edited by littlehamish

@MCC retired - getting to EWR that early would give us a lot of time to kill. :( Did you arrange an early disembarkation time - or was that just how it happened?

Does anyone know if there are left luggage facilities at Terminal B at EWR?

Sorry for all the questions, we're new to all this.

littleHamish

Although we usually do a Walk Off on most cruises , this one we had a 3pm flight so we were in no hurry and just took our assigned departure.

Found this on Trip Advisor :

NBS Storage and Delivery . They don't have a web site, so if you need additional information, call them at (908) 933-0503. They open at 7am and close at 1am.

Sorry to hear you are in Terminal B.

A good way to kill time would be to take the tram train over to Terminal C , walk around , then back to Terminal B.

Edited by MCC retired

Unfortunately I have a couple of questions but not answers.

First, try to find out what time your airline will start accepting baggage. It seems to vary by airline/airport. When I disembarked QM2 in Southampton BA would not accept my bags until like 4 hours before the flight and I had to sit with my luggage cart for an hour or so before I could check my bags. When I disembarked QV in Ft. Lauderdale and went to Miami they would accept my bags any time that day for an evening flight. The Cunard transfer will probably stop at all terminals. If you can find out that your airline will accept bags early I would go to terminal B and check my bags and only have to deal with carryons for the day. If you have too much in carryons you could then move on to NBS.

If you must wait until late afternoon to check your bags hopefully you can find out where NBS is and get dropped off at that terminal.

With luck Cunard will offer a day of sightseeing ending at EWR which would make things a lot easier. If they do you should be able to upgrade from the straight transfer on board. Good luck.

Roy