RIP - Parmesan basket with fettuccine alfredo in MDR

cruiseesusee

The Princess Alfredo is good but not very authentic?

I agree. But I kind of like it that way. The "authentic" stuff could stop Mo Farah's heart in its tracks! :eek: At home I work with a recipe that lightens the dish considerably, but still enjoy it as much as the artery clogging original. Even better when some lump crabmeat or lobster has been tossed in! I know that what I am making is not authentic, but at least I can live with myself afterwards! ;)

I most certainly hope the Fettuccine Alfredo will always be available for dinner each evening. The Princess recipe is the best! (I wonder: did they adopt this delicious dish when they acquired Sitmar Cruises? Their Fettuccine Alfredo was equally good!)

Yes, Princess retained the Sitmar Fettucine Alfredo and the pizza when they merged the lines.

The difference is that on Sitmar, the maitre d' prepared the fettucine fresh in the dining room and then wheeled his cart around the room to serve those who wished to have some.

The parmesan basket has only been added within the past few years and I, for one, will not miss it. It tastes like the quasi-Italian foodo ne gets at Olive Garden.

On our Crown sailing to Hawaii October 5... I ordered the dinner size fettuccini and was told it no longer came with the parmesan basket. Then I asked for cooked shrimp with the fettuccini and was told the kitchen couldn't give me cooked shrimp. I ordered the dinner size fettuccini with 2 shrimp appetizers without sauce. Very frustrating to have to eat cold shrimp over "no longer available parmesan basket" fettuccini. I appears Princess food quality is changing. Even the buffet offerings seemed to me to be less tasty on this cruise.

That's terrible! When nothing on the menu appeals to me, I usually get the fettuccine with grilled chicken on top. Hoping that is still an option, but things definitely vary from ship to ship.

Yes, Princess retained the Sitmar Fettucine Alfredo and the pizza when they merged the lines.

The difference is that on Sitmar, the maitre d' prepared the fettucine fresh in the dining room and then wheeled his cart around the room to serve those who wished to have some.

The parmesan basket has only been added within the past few years and I, for one, will not miss it. It tastes like the quasi-Italian foodo ne gets at Olive Garden.

You bring back fond memories of the way it was prepared on Sitmar!

We still sometimes order the appetizer portion on Princess. The parmesan basket isn't missed because we didn't have it on Sitmar. :)

It tastes like the quasi-Italian foodo ne gets at Olive Garden.

Interesting observation. While I can't say that I have ever seen or had one in Italy, a Parmesan basket (or tuiles) has only one ingredient, and that is the cheese itself. So as long as one is working with authentic Parmesan cheese, it shouldn't taste quasi-Italian. I suppose if the kitchen is using "Parmesan-style cheese from Wisconsin", the results will differ. No idea what Princess used. While we have ordered the pasta dish numerous times on cruises, we have never asked for the Parmesan bowl. Having worked with them at home, I know that the bowl will not stand up to the hot, wet pasta for very long so I never saw the point. (When I make the bowls at home, they become the resting place for an arugula and prosciutto salad and stay crunchy throughout the life of the course.)

I also sailed on Sitmar and loved the pastas. Especially the buttered linguine with meat sauce...yum!

The Princess Alfredo is good but not very authentic?

We sailed on Sitmar, too. I'll never forget the nightly white glove table service with the waiters using a fork and spoon like tongs to serve your dinner from a silver tray. No pre-plated food, it was served table side every night.

Edited by FritzG

We were on the Regal last week, Oct. 22-27 and my DH and I were lucky enough to have the parmesan basket with fettuccini three times as an appetizer. When I first ordered the dish, the waiter told us they were no longer available, but to our surprise, the parmesan basket came out in our order. I was a happy cruiser!:D

We sailed on Sitmar, too. I'll never forget the nightly white glove table service with the waiters using a fork and spoon like tongs to serve your dinner from a silver tray. No pre-plated food, it was served table side every night.

Wasn't that fantastic! I have never had a food and dining memory like those sense. The booze in the cakes was something I have never had anywhere else either.

Was always a favorite until last May on the Regal. The basket was so very bad they had changed the cheese. I sent it back when asked told them it was un-edible they said the cheese needed to be changed. What was wrong with a very good item to the horrid stuff they served me. Well was loaded with salt so guess my body won't miss this item. Never go hungry on a ship :).

Change is sad and cheap is cheap.

In our case it was ordered as an Appetizer at lunch. The bowl really made the dish -- would not order it without.

Agreed! I would not order it without the bowl. In my opinion, it is rather tasteless on its own.

• 1 month later...

Just got home from our 19 day Panama Canal cruise onboard the Island. The food was superb!!!!

I like my Alfredo served as an appetizer, prior to my salad. No basket but there was so much else, it wasn't missed!

I had the basket onboard the Pacific Princess on the Love Boat cruise, last December.....it was good and I'm glad I got to experience it!

The chef truly outdid himself onboard the Island and I thank him and our wonderful servers for making our dinner meals such a delight!!!!

It doesn't hurt to have great tablemates as well!

Was always a favorite until last May on the Regal. The basket was so very bad they had changed the cheese. I sent it back when asked told them it was un-edible they said the cheese needed to be changed. What was wrong with a very good item to the horrid stuff they served me. Well was loaded with salt so guess my body won't miss this item. Never go hungry on a ship :).

Change is sad and cheap is cheap.

Even the fettuccine recipe has been changed over the years to the point I won't order it any longer. It's morphed into buttered noodles with cheese sprinkled on top. :(

Just asked my wife who is an Italian Citizen and she said "No, Never heard of a Parmesan basket. Italians like simple dishes Olive oil Prisciuto and pasta, fresh tomatoes, Red roasted peppers and pasta and Gnoichi with Garlic gravy for breakfast. Lots of bread, red wine and salad. Hardly any meat but lots of Marinara. Her Godmother gave me her recipe for Marinara and it says start with a big pot at 700 in the morning.

Just asked my wife who is an Italian Citizen and she said "No, Never heard of a Parmesan basket. Italians like simple dishes Olive oil Prisciuto and pasta, fresh tomatoes, Red roasted peppers and pasta and Gnoichi with Garlic gravy for breakfast. Lots of bread, red wine and salad. Hardly any meat but lots of Marinara. Her Godmother gave me her recipe for Marinara and it says start with a big pot at 700 in the morning.

Depends what part of Italy you are from. Not the Parmesan basket, but everything else. My MIL is from Sicily and her marinara takes a couple of hours at most. I totally agree about the bread and red wine. The fact that you called it gravy sounds like they are from NY/NJ. As in any country, things differ by region.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Even the fettuccine recipe has been changed over the years to the point I won't order it any longer. It's morphed into buttered noodles with cheese sprinkled on top. :(

You are 100% correct! Now I look forward to going to olive garden instead, lol.

don't care too much about the parmesan basket, but what about just plain fettuccine Alfredo?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

We liked the basket concept and attempted to eat it once. Love the fettuccine though. The basket was quite overwhelming.