Auto Gratuity Deadline Removal

montrealroyalc

What I posted was the way it is - take a look over at the NCL site for clarification.

From NCL's webiste: However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

From Cruise Critic: The charge serves as gratuities for onboard staff including room stewards, waiters and behind-the-scenes support crew. If passengers were unsatisfied with their experience, they could choose to remove the DSC at any point during their voyage. Now, the DSC can only be adjusted by contacting guest relations at servicecharges@ncl.com once they have returned from their cruise.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6529

Many have, unfortunately, reported that they got a refund of their DSC without having any service issues.

Due to UK laws, they are allowed to remove the DSC prior to their cruise or while on the ship.

Again, that wasn't my point.

The OP didn't say that. But, if it's included in the cruise price up front, then why would there also be a separate compulsory charge? You keep arguing the opposite of what I think you mean because the gratuities are not currently compulsory.

Bottom line is that as a mass market line, Celebrity is going to do what their competitors are doing because it would give the competitors a brochure price advantage to stop the practice.

I have never said that there would be any extra charge, only that if compulsory then it hAS TO BE INCLUDED IN UPFRONT PRICE. They cannot offer an upfront price WITHOUT any compulsory charges being included.

And has been previously said by others on here some do include it in upfront price and there is a great disparity in how far short the cruise line leaves the staff's wages because gratuties do come much less than Celebrities on some lines. So some lines obviously pay there staff more in basic wages and the staff then do not have to depend on such large gratuities to make up their wages and depend on people paying the optional gratuities.

Will be gong on a 14 night cruise shortly. I was wondering what is the latest the auto gratuities on my onboard account can be removed. Can it be removed the last night of the cruise or does it have to be by a certain day? Thanks for your input.

Not sure, but please answer all of us..Why do you want to??? This reminds me of a couple(mother & son) who traveled with our group on Cunard. They removed the tip, pocketed it(thus stiffing the staff) & then bragged about it. We kicked them out of our table & nearly stopped them from boarding the charter bus back home. Needless to say we forever banned them from ever sailing with our group. They're relatives to boot!

Again, that wasn't my point.
Since you posted that you didn't agree with my comments about the NCL DSC being refundable or that those in the UK could remove them on the ship or prior to the cruise, just thought I would clarify that what I said on both items was entirely correct.

LOL' date=' well then, you've missed all the logic expressed on this thread. And who said anything about service not provided as it should be?!! This is strictly a matter of DEADBEATS that plan all along NOT to tip, no matter how great the service is.[/quote']

Apparently you were in such a hurry to respond that you didn't look up the definition of deadbeat. According to the dictionary, a deadbeat is someone who doesn't pay money that is owed, like a deadbeat dad. If you cancel the gratuities, which you have every right to do, you don't owe any money so you can't be a deadbeat. My comment on service not provided as it should be was to give a reason why someone would cancel the tips, cheap is another reason but the original poster never volunteered that information.

Good for you. Cheapskates are bad enough, but ones who brag about it are even worse

Not sure, but please answer all of us..Why do you want to??? This reminds me of a couple(mother & son) who traveled with our group on Cunard. They removed the tip, pocketed it(thus stiffing the staff) & then bragged about it. We kicked them out of our table & nearly stopped them from boarding the charter bus back home. Needless to say we forever banned them from ever sailing with our group. They're relatives to boot!

Apparently you were in such a hurry to respond that you didn't look up the definition of deadbeat. According to the dictionary, a deadbeat is someone who doesn't pay money that is owed, like a deadbeat dad. If you cancel the gratuities, which you have every right to do, you don't owe any money so you can't be a deadbeat. My comment on service not provided as it should be was to give a reason why someone would cancel the tips, cheap is another reason but the original poster never volunteered that information.

If you have your room cleaned twice daily a tip is owed. These people do not leave their families for several months to work long days as volunteers to make your cruise wonderful.

If i do not want to pay the tips I go to GR and have them removed. They do not tell me not to cruise - so why do some on here feel the need to ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Obvious cheapskate! Please do the world a favor & stay home!

Good for you. Cheapskates are bad enough, but ones who brag about it are even worse

We actually had their 2 chairs removed from our table. They were a constant hassle..always requesting special orders(no it wasn't in the Grills)then frequently sending it back. Just drove us nuts. I nearly slugged the son(no he was NOT a kid, by the way)for his behavior on the way back up to New England from NYC. We decide to tell them they were NEVER welcome to travel with us again.

If you have your room cleaned twice daily a tip is owed. These people do not leave their families for several months to work long days as volunteers to make your cruise wonderful.

Sorry but I must take issue with this comment. Having one's room cleaned twice a day is part of the contract one has with the cruise line and this is a core business of room attendants and thus does not require extra remuneration. The staff do in fact leave home for long periods of time in order to make your cruise wonderful. They are fully aware of the rules and remuneration packages on offer.

Should Celebrity do away with "gratuities" and have an all inclusive price? Coming from the non tipping culture I would have to answer Yes but the International model they operate and overall the majority of their clientele have a cost plus tip culture it aint going to change short term.

It would be better if they called it a "Compulsory service charge" rather than a gratuity as the cruise line determines the level of payment.

This is a discussion that is always going to be heated because of cultural differences around the world. There is no right or wrong decision just differences in opinion which are not going to change.

The amount Celebrity charges allows them to pay a competitive wage by having the guest voluntarily pay for part of it. Workers accept a low base wage with the understanding that MOST guests will comply and pay the gratuity that is being charged automatically.

It is not compulsory. You can remove the charges or adjust them to different amounts (up or down).

Most people understand that it's the workers who get screwed if some opt out of providing the requested additional payment. I don't consider it a cultural difference to not comply--it's being pig-headed and cheap once you realize the easy-to-understand reality of the situation the workers are in.

It also keeps the cruise line's costs down. And this system is not unique to this cruise line.

Sorry but I must take issue with this comment. Having one's room cleaned twice a day is part of the contract one has with the cruise line and this is a core business of room attendants and thus does not require extra remuneration. The staff do in fact leave home for long periods of time in order to make your cruise wonderful. They are fully aware of the rules and remuneration packages on offer.

Should Celebrity do away with "gratuities" and have an all inclusive price? Coming from the non tipping culture I would have to answer Yes but the International model they operate and overall the majority of their clientele have a cost plus tip culture it aint going to change short term.

It would be better if they called it a "Compulsory service charge" rather than a gratuity as the cruise line determines the level of payment.

This is a discussion that is always going to be heated because of cultural differences around the world. There is no right or wrong decision just differences in opinion which are not going to change.

So change the name To produce the same result, how silly. Sounds like what the definition of is, is.