What happens if.........

DeanoNorthPerth

AFAIK, when you change the booking in any way - different cabin or different cruise - you get what is being offered at that time.

However, if a better offer comes along before final payment (and your cabin category is still available) you can get that.

With onboard booking, you will (should) always get the best price guarantee even AFTER final payment (if the price goes down).

In case anyone wants to know the exact terms or wording of the current offering for onboard bookings, here are some excerpts from the letter we received onboard Regatta Oct. 11 after booking a cruise:

"Best Price Guarantee: Booking onboard always comes with our "Best Price Guarantee from the day you book up until the day of sailing. Should there be another applicable public promotion offering a better value through a combination of lower price and amenities on the cruise and category you have selected, you will be able to take advantage of this new promotion plus the added benefit of the applicable Onboard Savings. Simply have your travel agent call Oceania Cruises to have the new promotion added to your reservation (subject to stateroom/suite availability). Should there be a price reduction after final payment has been paid, the difference will be given to you in the form of a Shipboard Credit, stateroom/suite upgrade, or a Future Cruise Credit, at our discretion.

Please remember that, should your plans change, the deposit can be rolled over to another booking at any time before the cancellation penalty period (one-time only). You will be given the Onboard Club Savings that is applicable to the new sailing and category selected at the time your new booking is made. Any promotional amenities you have received will not roll over to the new reservation."

--------------------

They also gave us a $100 shipboard credit to use on the cruise we were on. However, if we elect to cancel the future "at any time, $100 will be withheld from the deposit refund."

Not stated, but presumably true as long as the loyalty program doesn't change, is this: The amenities you receive as a result of your loyalty status (silver, gold, etc.) WILL still be there for you to use.

We got to choose the particular O Life promotion we wanted (drink, excursions or credit) but were told we could change it later if we wanted. Likewise, if we decided not to take the included air, we could decline that later.

I've never seen any of the Oceania cruises we've booked early go down in price, but I suppose it COULD happen. A guarantee on best price is certainly nice, though, just in case the price DOES go down.

I've never seen any of the Oceania cruises we've booked early go down in price, but I suppose it COULD happen. A guarantee on best price is certainly nice, though, just in case the price DOES go down.

Thank you for that comprehensive explanation.

BTW - prices have definitely come down after initial pricing on some cruises that do not sell well (maybe not on any of yours). I have received price reductions before final payment (and they were substantial :)) - last time was on the Marina Lisbon to Cape Town a couple of years ago.

Hence, it is nice to have that best price guarantee for price reductions even after final payment.

Does the price GTY apply to cruises NOT booked onboard ???

If you mean the "Best Price Guarantee" then it is only for cruises booked onboard AFAIK.

It's probably the best reason to do that (for those frustrating last minute price drops after final payment :()- other benefits of booking onboard are marginal IMO.

Edited by Paulchili

If you mean the "Best Price Guarantee" then it is only for cruises booked onboard AFAIK.

It's probably the best reason to do that (for those frustrating last minute price drops after final payment :()- other benefits of booking onboard are marginal IMO.

seems a little unfair to those who book early with their TA or through O :eek:

Oh well will just wait for the deal that works for me then

Edited by LHT28

Actually, if there's availability in your cabin class and the same deal you had is on, you can get a retroactive book onboard discount when you're on the ship.

Actually, if there's availability in your cabin class and the same deal you had is on, you can get a retroactive book onboard discount when you're on the ship.

well aware of that ... but not for the sailing you are on ;)

we no longer are booking 18mths out ..who knows where we will be when the cruise date rolls around

We'd booked early through TA & the price dropped twice. Got a discount on the final payment for the 1st. 2nd drop occurred after final payment & were offered cabin upgrade & partial refund for OBC, or total OBC refund, which is what we opted to take.

We'd booked early through TA & the price dropped twice. Got a discount on the final payment for the 1st. 2nd drop occurred after final payment & were offered cabin upgrade & partial refund for OBC, or total OBC refund, which is what we opted to take.

Yes have gotten the drop in the past or the extra perks if that was part of the deal

I usually get enough OBC

Last trip we had $2200 to spend we do not drink much can only shop so much :D

YMMV

Depends on your TA also. We have refared our cruise several times -- last cruise 3 times as they continued dropped price or offered a better amenity.

All were before final payment and all still had cabin available (PH2). The key disclaimer is the cabin availability. If no PH2 was available -- no refare.

we no longer are booking 18mths out ..who knows where we will be when the cruise date rolls around

I hear you and often feel the same :D

That said, it still pays to book early (most of the time).

Example - we booked a Nautica cruise for 3/18 Tokyo to Bangkok.

The price for our cabin is still the same today but they have dropped:

* 3 pre/post day land tour or $750/pp off the price (total $1500 value)

* 1 free excursion/person (total 2 excursions - up to $400 value)

That's almost $2000 loss if booking today (and poorer choice of cabins)

Edited by Paulchili