Carnival stock

It's not listed on the Australian stock exchange, so you need to deal with a broker who trades international shares, and there's a bit more overhead and cost to it (the same as if you in the US wanted to buy something on the Australian stock exchange).

Then because it's an investment overseas there are implications in both US and Australian tax reporting, and more hassle. But yes, it's possible.

Edited by The_Big_M

If you are looking to put money in carnival to get the OBC it is better to put your money in something that pays higher returns instead. Unless you live on carnival the on board credit for owning their stock really isnt worth it. Having approx $4800 tied up to get $100 to $250 obc isnt worth the sales fees. There are much better stocks that pay out much higher divivends.

If you are looking to put money in carnival to get the OBC it is better to put your money in something that pays higher returns instead. Unless you live on carnival the on board credit for owning their stock really isnt worth it. Having approx $4800 tied up to get $100 to $250 obc isnt worth the sales fees. There are much better stocks that pay out much higher divivends.

I've gained around $300 in value since I bought in a few months ago plus OBC for 2 cruises plus dividends. Bank interest pays nowhere near that. Telstra shares have fallen here, as can Carnival shares. DYOR and select appropriately for your risk profile.

I've gained around $300 in value since I bought in a few months ago plus OBC for 2 cruises plus dividends. Bank interest pays nowhere near that. Telstra shares have fallen here, as can Carnival shares. DYOR and select appropriately for your risk profile.

Its only a gain when you sell, so those increases or decreases are arbitrary. Carnival dividends are paying .35 per share a quarter. Their last profits report was stellar and beat the estimates but yet the stock sits as a hold. Granted a gumball machine will earn you a bigger return than a bank account at any bank. Carnival stock needs to be under 41 a share to become a buy. Ive long wanted carnival stock for the obc but decided instead to purchased more V.

Carnival stock needs to be under 41 a share to become a buy. Ive long wanted carnival stock for the obc but decided instead to purchased more V.

So how come you haven't bought any? The 52 week low was at $40.52, wouldn't you have jumped on it then?

So how come you haven't bought any? The 52 week low was at $40.52, wouldn't you have jumped on it then?

I had bought more V as carnival was on a slide. I didnt have the funds available to buy the 100 shares of Carnival. As it sits im still glad with my choice. But im still hoping to have the opportunity to buy carnival some day.

I had bought more V as carnival was on a slide. I didnt have the funds available to buy the 100 shares of Carnival. As it sits im still glad with my choice. But im still hoping to have the opportunity to buy carnival some day.

Like all stocks its swings and round a bouts, there will always be another day where the price will be right. With transport/tourism stock there are plenty of variables which can bring them down as well as keep them afloat.

Like all stocks its swings and round a bouts, there will always be another day where the price will be right. With transport/tourism stock there are plenty of variables which can bring them down as well as keep them afloat.

Yup. So true. Next 4 years looks pretty promising for cruiselines, they have more new ships on order and potential markets on the horizon than ever before. Cant wait to see whats next to be crammed onto a ship.

If you look on your Shareholders OBC as a dividend, and you are doing 2 or 3 cruises a year with them , its a good holding...while you are cruising.

Just watch out for double brokerage or handling charges for overseas buyers.....and as mentioned above any tax issues. You might have to declare your OBC as part of your income for the year..:eek:

and you could go over the limit if you are means tested, espc with the new regime.

Its only a gain when you sell, so those increases or decreases are arbitrary. Carnival dividends are paying .35 per share a quarter. Their last profits report was stellar and beat the estimates but yet the stock sits as a hold. Granted a gumball machine will earn you a bigger return than a bank account at any bank. Carnival stock needs to be under 41 a share to become a buy. Ive long wanted carnival stock for the obc but decided instead to purchased more V.

Horses for courses. Your choice my choice.

• 2 weeks later...
Would take 8 to 9 years to recupe initial investment,@ 2 cruises a year.

A lazy $5000 could do worse.

Tax needs to be looked at.

Big question, will cruising be around in 10 years.( yep, I'm sure it will).

TEMPTING.

And that's only factoring in the OBC not the dividends, the capital growth and the fact you can still sell your shares.

Would take 8 to 9 years to recupe initial investment,@ 2 cruises a year.

A lazy $5000 could do worse.

Tax needs to be looked at.

Big question, will cruising be around in 10 years.( yep, I'm sure it will).

TEMPTING.

Its way better than investments here currently. Of course it can always go down.

Its way better than investments here currently. Of course it can always go down.

It's at $51 this morning, gone up $8 since we bought. Very happy with our $250 OBC for next cruise and recieved $40 last quarter, I forgot all about that payment and wondered why money was in the ANZ investor account.......more cruise spending money!!

Edited by cheznandy

Yep I factored in average $160 a year (divs) and $250 obc on 2 cruises a year.

Came up with $660 a year.

7.5 years to recupe initial investment.

One question, if you bought 2 tranches of 100 shares, one in one name and one in another, could you combine the 2 obc's $500 for one cabin. Or if you had 200 shares, in one name do you get double obc.:)

Yep I factored in average $160 a year (divs) and $250 obc on 2 cruises a year.

Came up with $660 a year.

7.5 years to recupe initial investment.

One question, if you bought 2 tranches of 100 shares, one in one name and one in another, could you combine the 2 obc's $500 for one cabin. Or if you had 200 shares, in one name do you get double obc.:)

If you click on this link tro Carnival Corp , it will bring up a pdf with the benifits. Its only 1 per cabin

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

If you click on this link tro Carnival Corp , it will bring up a pdf with the benifits. Its only 1 per cabin

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

Unless you have different surnames and register with different addresses, in that case (aka an unmarried pair) each get the shareholder benefit in the same cabin.