REVIEW Gem 10/30-11/13/16 San Juan

mugtech

A review of a cruise which has 12 days to go? I have 250 free online minutes to use this week and another 250 next week, so I might as well write about the cruise while I can still remember, plus I might be able to give some info to folks coming on board the Gem on 11/6 or 11/13.

The lifeboat drill goes down at 4:30 on Sunday even though we did not leave San Juan until 9PM. And since all aboard was 8:30, the whole thing was read again over the intercom for those who were not at the 4:30 drill. I get the idea that they still had to do the makeup drill on Monday but cannot say for sure. So one can check in at noon and then spend the rest of the day in San Juan, back by 8:30

311 on this cruise are b2b from the 10/23 cruise, and the NextCruise staff from Bermuda said we would get a letter at the end of the week telling us the procedures involved. She said she thinks the b2b's did NOT have to get off the ship, its up to the individual ports, for NYC and Vancouver require everybody out. Will let you all know once I get the info.

I am a soon to be retired accountant of English/German heritage from the Pennsylvania Dutch country, currently living in the Lehigh Valley with my retired dual citizen(Philippines & USA) wife. This is our fourth cruise on the Gem, as it is a $25 round trip bus ride of 150 minutes and a $10 cab ride to the NYC port. We have also cruised on POA, BA, Sun and Spirit plus RCCL Mariner of the Seas. I am willing to answer any questions, please know that we do not smoke or drink or gamble, so our knowledge in these areas may be limited. We are just pulling in to Grenada, so time to get ready to go, more later.

Also following, we're boarding November 6. Did you spend time in San Juan? Is there a Glow party or just White Hot?

Is there a Quest game played?

Oh, I just saw on another thread refurb going on. Can you give an update as to locations being worked on? We are in cabin 8098 down from O'Sheheens

Thanks!

Edited by Medtech2

Thanks for posting! We are on the Nov 20 cruise and interested in all info! I saw something on another post about Canvas By U (one of those painting things like are all the rage right now)- can you tell me if you noticed it being offered on the Gem? My daughter would love that.

Thanks for posting! I do have a question for you, and hoping you will be able to help.

Do you know, or have you heard when they let you disembark on return to SJ. We have a walking tour on 11/13, and am wondering if we will be able to make the 9am tour.

We start our vacation on the 4th, and arrive in PR on the 6th.

Thanks for any info.:D

Thanks. Can you let us know the showtimes? Also, someone on the trip down mentioned that cabins were all getting a makeover over the next few weeks. Any info on that?

Thanks.

SHOW times 7 and 9 except sunday night one show at 9:30

Thanks for posting! I do have a question for you, and hoping you will be able to help.

Do you know, or have you heard when they let you disembark on return to SJ. We have a walking tour on 11/13, and am wondering if we will be able to make the 9am tour.

We start our vacation on the 4th, and arrive in PR on the 6th.

Thanks for any info.:D

disembark listed at 8AM, if Platinum you get some kind of priority. We always walk off with our stuff, never been in a hurry, but 9 AM looks doable. On the sure excursions order form for disembark tours the meeting times are listed as 8:30 AM. Getting cabs looks very quick and efficient, they were lined up waiting for us at the airport and from our hotel to the ship we called at 10:40 AM and it was a 5 minute wait.

We flew into San Juan from Newark, NJ on JetBlue, and it was the usual airlines math. The flight was listed at departing at 9:29AM and landing in PR at 1:30PM, a 4 hour 1 minute flight. we took off 25 minutes late, but the captain said it a 3 hour 16 minute flight, we would be arriving at1:10 PM, 20 minutes early, which is what happened. This explains their great on time record. Everything went smoothly with the flight, no customs is a relief. Got to the Hyatt Place City Center, a 7 mile drive in 15 minutes, $21 fare plus tip. 3PM is the Hyatt check in time, so at 3:05 we had our room key, got settled in, and asked the desk for dinner suggestions.

We wanted Puerto Rican food, so they sent us to La Casita Miramar, an easy half mile walk. The food was excelent, don't drink so we could no comment about that aspect. We had plantain soup and codfritters to get started, requested another app of pork in plantain skins. My wife got sweet plantains filled with beef while I had pork chops. The only negative of the whole experience was having to settle for white rice, no brown available. The bill was just short of $49, and the 1% city tax and 10.5% Puerto Rico tax pushed it over $53, but quite worth it.

We went to retire early, had been up since 4 AM, and when we woke up the next day the Celebrity ship was gone and the Gem was in its place. It was only a little more than a mile from Hyatt Place to the ship, and we were standing in line outside at 10:55 AM. NCL staff brought us water and mango flavored water while waiting, and the line started moving at 11AM. It was the usual, as easy as New York usually is from the Gem, and we were on the Gem a few minutes before noon, had a good lunch in the garden cafe (buffet) and just relaxed until the checked luggage showed at 2 PM, quite early. we are in 9565, an inside cabin on the, you guessed it, 9th deck.

The lifeboat drill was at 4:30, and we were lucky to be in F3 on deck 6 which they call Bar City. So I watched the Packers/Falcons for the wasted 20 minutes of the drill. I did not notice any changes going on yet, just the usual maintenance work. Much was redone in November, 2015, and it generally is more calm and classier than the original, has less of that lunchroom cqaf in school feel. In the Garden Cafe they have shades around the ceiling lights, so it feels more relaxed. Pulling out at 9PM was anticlimactic for us, not anything like the 4PM sailing out of New York past ms Liberty etc. Was livelier than the Spirit 1 AM sailing out of Venice, but nor nearly as amazing.

so far the buffet food is very good, was seafood night Monday and tonight is Caribbean night. The 9:30 show Sunday night was the usual sampling, and the Monday night SWING was better than I remember it on BA in 2013. Would not miss, is mostly music from the Broadway show, which I have never seen, and mostly WWII into early 50's tunes. Tonight we get Second City. More on that and our tour in Grenada today later, as people are starting to wait in line to use the computer.

Other questions if you're willing-

is the Rock Wall operational? And have you noticed generally when it's open?

is ths slide by main pool deck working?

Both are listed as operational, I believe the rock wall is available at 10 PM. I will let you know if that is not correct.:D

Other questions if you're willing-

is the Rock Wall operational? And have you noticed generally when it's open?

is ths slide by main pool deck working?

today rock wall only available 3-5 PM Slide was 10 AM to 5 PM

Also following, we're boarding November 6. Did you spend time in San Juan? Is there a Glow party or just White Hot?

Is there a Quest game played?

Oh, I just saw on another thread refurb going on. Can you give an update as to locations being worked on? We are in cabin 8098 down from O'Sheheens

Thanks!

Cruise Consultant said no rehab is going on, I did not hear or see anything, not looking too hard.

Saw Second City tonight, they called it best of, and there was only one skit I had no seen in the last 5 years, all pretty standard stuff. Hopefully the next two shows will be better. Had never seen any of the current cast members previously. This is the 5th cruise I saw them.

Took the Island Drive today on Grenada, it was 4 hours, meeting time 8:20 AM, ship was already close to port at 6 AM sunrise, given the all clear to get off at 8 AM. The tour is $59 each and includes a free drink and two $2 admission tickets. Got the $50 off deal, so it was $68 for two of us, not bad. It was a fun trip, got to check out fruit and nuts right off the trees plus visited a nutmeg factory, a crater lake and a nice waterfall plus some black sand beaches, plus back at the ship by 12:30, was the only cruise ship in port. Tomorrow we are doing Island Splendor, an 8:50 AM tour for 4 hours on St Lucia. $55 each less the $50 deal means it will be $60 for the two of us. On Dominica we be doing the Easy Dominica and Rainforest Drive in 3 hours for $65 each less the $50 for a total of $80 for the two of us, will let you know how it was. Caribbean night in the buffet was good eats, hope to hit our two specialty restaurant Platinum meals the next two nights.

No World Series tonight on the Gem, was told contract not bought. Saw WS on Gem in 2011 and 2012. Have spoken to disappointed Cubs and Tribe fans. Will be checking out Second City unscripted tonight at 8:45 during game 7. Hope to get a response from SC, famous Cubs fans (Bill Murray etc.) Took my morning walk on decks 9, 10 and 11, no sign of an renovations. This no WS has me reconsidering the Jade out of NYC 10/26/17 11 day to ABC islands, Jamaica, ending in Miami.

Did the Island Splendor tour today, the weather was a problem. It rained from the time we left, 9 AM, until 12:30 PM, very heavy at times. The downpour on the metal roof made it very hard to understand the woman explaining the batik printing process, and some of the views from 2,000 feet were fogged out. It is a very informative tour, learned enough Creole to get my face slapped, saw 1700 acre banana plantation and a nice little fishing village. Lots of Rastifarians on this island of St. Lucia. lasted about 3.75 hours, was worth the trip, got to taste banana ketchup. Supposedly the rainy season is from June to November, so hopefully the 11/13 and 11/27 cruises won't be so wet. I did get back in time to have lunch and play afternoon trivia, I now have 14 signatures.

Did the Island Splendor tour today, the weather was a problem. It rained from the time we left, 9 AM, until 12:30 PM, very heavy at times. The downpour on the metal roof made it very hard to understand the woman explaining the batik printing process, and some of the views from 2,000 feet were fogged out. It is a very informative tour, learned enough Creole to get my face slapped, saw 1700 acre banana plantation and a nice little fishing village. Lots of Rastifarians on this island of St. Lucia. lasted about 3.75 hours, was worth the trip, got to taste banana ketchup. Supposedly the rainy season is from June to November, so hopefully the 11/13 and 11/27 cruises won't be so wet. I did get back in time to have lunch and play afternoon trivia, I now have 14 signatures.

I'm glad you mentioned trivia. I'm a trivia fiend! Are trivia games sprinkled throughout the day or is there just 1 a day?

Thanks for sharing all the great information. We are on the Nov. 13th sailing. We have the Island Drive excursion booked for Grenada.

How has the mosquito situation been? Does Guest Services have insect repellant available as has been reported on other ships? I'm bring some with me as well as a cap or umbrella. Anything else that we should not forget to bring along?

Would you mind noting when the first disembarkations are called on Sunday? I'm hoping it is well before the listed 8:00am. We will do the self walk off in order to make our flight.

Have a great time.

Enjoying your review. We're boarding this coming Sunday. Is the water slide for kids only, or can us old folks enjoy it too?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They didn't used to limit it to just kids. There may be a weight restriction. That being said, the slides on the older NCL ships are very slow - slow to the point you usually have to use your hands to help you get down the slide as you'll get stuck.