Cuban Cigars

This is not a smoking thread. I never smoke on my balcony and I applaud the change in the HAL policy. That being said, does anyone know, given the change in the policy regarding US citizens purchasing Cuban cigars while traveling, are they available on board now? Can they be purchased in ports like Turks and Caicos or Amber Cove? Given the relaxation of regulations I'm wondering about availability.

Seeing how the US was the only paranoid country boycotting Cuba and it's products, you can find Cuban items in the Caribbean (including cigars and rum). The change is that you may now bring those items back to the US instead of having to smoke 'em and drink it all before you got back home ;)

I bet some of the tourist stores are stocking up on Cuban (and Cuban-like) cigars just to sell to the US tourists anxious to get their hands on the once-forbidden items.

I used to be daring and bring back Cuban coffee beans that I'd buy at a coffee shop in Calgary when I made trips up there to visit friends. And, I once brought back 2 nice Cuban cigars handed out at a conference I attended in Vancouver. Rebel I was ;)

Seeing how the US was the only paranoid country boycotting Cuba and it's products, you can find Cuban items in the Caribbean (including cigars and rum). The change is that you may now bring those items back to the US instead of having to smoke 'em and drink it all before you got back home ;)

Technically, you weren't allowed to legally smoke and drink them even in a foreign country!

As previously posted "Cuban" cigars can be found in every port. Whether they are the real deal or counterfeits is a different story.

And over the years , I've brought back more than my share of ISOM's (Island South of Miami) from cruises and Europe. Anyone who partakes will probably recognize my passion for cigars from my username/ handle.........

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Technically, you weren't allowed to legally smoke and drink them even in a foreign country!

As previously posted "Cuban" cigars can be found in every port. Whether they are the real deal or counterfeits is a different story.

And over the years , I've brought back more than my share of ISOM's (Island South of Miami) from cruises and Europe. Anyone who partakes will probably recognize my passion for cigars from my username/ handle.........

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, then, I was a very bad girl when I visited Calgary - the Cuban coffee was my morning. And, I had some Havana Club in Paris :eek:

Recommend you check out this site for the official word on importations:

treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cuba_fact_sheet_10142016.pdf

Thanks for posting. Here is an article from Cigar Aficionado that adds to this:

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/limits-slashed-on-cuban-cigars-19049

Fakes are rampant throughout the Caribbean and I would be aware of this.

Also every legit cigar outlet I had found sold these cigars at very high prices.

That said I may be on the prowl for a box or two and I would think that the allowance for return to US of Cubans might expand the selection and improve pricing.

I doubt very much they would be sold on board for a variety of reasons. As said, Habanos are available throughout the Caribbean but must be purchased in reliable stores. Expect to pay a minmum of $5 each for a petit corona and $10 and up for larger sizes. Anyone offering to sell at less than these prices probably means they are conterfeit. The Cuban government strictly controls wholesale prices of these cigars and there are no bargins. Nonetheless, the recent Executive Order lifting the ban on the importation of Cuban cigars and rum eliminates the fear that these items wouild be confiscated by customs.