Jade drydock ~ change to SE decor?

mafig

I was on the Jade in Jan ’16 and my favorite public area was the Spinnaker Lounge. It had a great view and with all the windows it was bright and inviting.

The only thing I didn’t like about the Jade was the Hawaiian theme. I thought some of the décor was absolutely gaudy, but that's me.

2eyc0ub.jpg

15rehrp.jpg

I hardly believe the Spinnaker will turn into a Haven Lounge - nice to read someone does not remember that the change into a Haven Lounge was even discussed.

IMHO it would be a silly decision by NCL and a huge loss, since many passengers seem to love that location - we also really enjoyed it during our TA, since many events have taken place there - Trivia, dance courses, lectures, disco nights - where should it take place than?

Especially for Northern Europe the Spinnaker would be essential.

To me it sounds logical that the shop area turns int another lounge - wondering if it will feature bowling?

Surely the shops will move where the Medusa is currently.

So the layout than would be as on NCL Gem and Pearl.

• 4 weeks later...
Got off the Jade on Sunday. At Q&A session onboard with officers, we were told that refurbishment will take place in the Bahamas, all crew (except entertainers) will stay onboard while in dry dock, crew will help contractors with things like moving furniture, etc. Renovations will take place 24/7 while in dry dock. All garish Hawaiian themed décor will be removed, carpets replaced, etc. Even some public rooms being repurposed, i.e. Spinnaker will be for Haven guests, Brazilian restaurant is being moved to area near Cagneys, area where shop is currently located will be turned into a lounge, etc.

Excited about the drydock. We were scheduled to sail on the Breakaway but switched to a warmer climate and Jade in April. Was a bit disappointed at the aged look of the Jade but my excitement was renewed at the prospect of a fresh new look!

Even some public rooms being repurposed, i.e. Spinnaker will be for Haven guests, Brazilian restaurant is being moved to area near Cagneys, area where shop is currently located will be turned into a lounge, etc.

I asked one of the most senior officers briefly about this exact report just now as we got off the ship- he said "don't worry it is mostly carpet" - all week the top officers were not saying much about the drydock but the impression I got after questioning several was it was about decorating and public area updating (see the press release) and not to expect a lot of extensive steel work or any moving of lounges. I heard a rumor aboard a few years back about moving the shops to where Medusa is but I was told that was also a no.

Everyone confirmed the Aloha theme is certainly going away. After almost three weeks aboard I am not sure I will miss it. I wonder if any of the prints or molded flowers will end up on ebay.

Edited by ew101

I asked one of the most senior officers briefly about this exact report just now as we got off the ship- he said "don't worry it is mostly carpet" - all week the top officers were not saying much about the drydock but the impression I got after questioning several was it was about decorating and public area updating (see the press release) and not to expect a lot of extensive steel work or any moving of lounges. I heard a rumor aboard a few years back about moving the shops to where Medusa is but I was told that was also a no.

Everyone confirmed the Aloha theme is certainly going away. After almost three weeks aboard I am not sure I will miss it. I wonder if any of the prints or molded flowers will end up on ebay.

Any work to the cabins?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

Sometimes it's surprising how little some staff members, even quite senior ones know about some things which are going on. It is very possible that the officers on the ship don't know the full details of what is being done.

Given the changes made recently on other ships, I would be amazed if the dry dock consisted on just (mostly carpet).

Whilst I'm certainly not convinced about anything being done with Spinnaker, I think it would be a major surprise if it doesn't get an o'Sheehans added and Moderno moving up to next to Cagneys. That is far more than a bit of carpet.

Sometimes it's surprising how little some staff members, even quite senior ones know about some things which are going on. It is very possible that the officers on the ship don't know the full details of what is being done.

Given the changes made recently on other ships, I would be amazed if the dry dock consisted on just (mostly carpet).

Whilst I'm certainly not convinced about anything being done with Spinnaker, I think it would be a major surprise if it doesn't get an o'Sheehans added and Moderno moving up to next to Cagneys. That is far more than a bit of carpet.

If they moved Moderno next to Cagneys where exactly would it go? From the deck plans it does not look like much room unless they put it where star bar is or make Cagneys smaller. Would O'Sheehans take over Blue Lagoon and Moderno?

If they moved Moderno next to Cagneys where exactly would it go? From the deck plans it does not look like much room unless they put it where star bar is or make Cagneys smaller. Would O'Sheehans take over Blue Lagoon and Moderno?

Yes, Modernos takes over part of Star bar and then o'Sheehans takes the whole Blue Lagoon/Modernos area.

It's been done on the Star and some others (Jewel and/or Gem I think). Have a look at the deck plans for them.

Yes, Modernos takes over part of Star bar and then o'Sheehans takes the whole Blue Lagoon/Modernos area.

It's been done on the Star and some others (Jewel and/or Gem I think). Have a look at the deck plans for them.

That is exactly where it is on Gem.

• 2 weeks later...
Even some public rooms being repurposed, i.e. Spinnaker will be for Haven guests, .

Ugh! If this is true I'm changing my Jade cruise to the Gem repo the same week.

I love the big comfy lounge. Really missed it on the Epic.

I was told by the cruise next guy, when I booked the Jade, while I was on the Gem, that the Jade was getting the same dry-dock as the Gem. So Blue Lagoon becomes O'Sheenan's, common areas get a face lift, new carpets, new furniture. Gem still has it's Spinnaker's, so fingers crossed.

Ugh! If this is true I'm changing my Jade cruise to the Gem repo the same week.

I love the big comfy lounge. Really missed it on the Epic.

I was told by the cruise next guy, when I booked the Jade, while I was on the Gem, that the Jade was getting the same dry-dock as the Gem. So Blue Lagoon becomes O'Sheenan's, common areas get a face lift, new carpets, new furniture. Gem still has it's Spinnaker's, so fingers crossed.

my thoughts exactly

again: Jade will go to the North of Europe, they will need the Spinnaker for all guests.

Most of the daily activitys will be there.

The Spinnaker is much to big only for Haven.

I'm sure that its not true ;-)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Spinnaker will be for Haven guests.

I asked NCL PR just now about the comment above - Spinnaker is fine :)

"There are no plans to that effect at this time. I can tell you that the ship will look fantastic after dry dock and we will be sharing details and renderings of the new staterooms soon, so stay tuned!"

I will say where there are no details speculation is normal. On the other hand, they did probably need to wait until the parts were on order as this drydock plan sounds like it may have shifted a little in the early stages. Under US law, if you advertise a product feature - it has to be there, so you want to not change your mind.

I asked NCL PR just now about the comment above - Spinnaker is fine :)

"There are no plans to that effect at this time. I can tell you that the ship will look fantastic after dry dock and we will be sharing details and renderings of the new staterooms soon, so stay tuned!"

I will say where there are no details speculation is normal. On the other hand, they did probably need to wait until the parts were on order as this drydock plan sounds like it may have shifted a little in the early stages. Under US law, if you advertise a product feature - it has to be there, so you want to not change your mind.

Did they say when the drydock is?

Did they say when the drydock is?

March 10-30, 2017 according to CruiseCritic's list of upcoming drydocks:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=521

I see however that the entire month of February is "blocked" as well on NCLs cruise calendar for Norwegian Jade, but that might be for a different reason (charter, etc.).

Edited by TrumpyNor

March 10-30, 2017 according to CruiseCritic's list of upcoming drydocks:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=521

I see however that the entire month of February is "blocked" as well on NCLs cruise calendar for Norwegian Jade, but that might be for a different reason (charter, etc.).

Yes, charters.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...