Jade drydock ~ change to SE decor?

mafig

From what I've read here Jade is going into drydock early next year.

We are considering booking a SE on her. In looking at the pictures, I think the decor of the SEs could use a little "updating." I know they're taking away the Hawaiin theme, however, do you think the suites will get a change and have a more modern suite-like furnishings?

Fancy meeting you here :). Can you link to where jade is ditching the Hawaiian theme? That would be great news if she goes to Norway :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I can't. I read it a while back that it'll happen when she goes into drydock in Feb/March, but I've been doing a Search myself to find out more.:)

Ok- I'll start digging too. One of us will find it eventually. We are doing Norway in 2018 so I'm waiting to see what my options are. Next summer our big 3 week trip is to the Galapagos so no cruise. We are sneaking in a quick 7 nights on epic over Christmas (last minute decision) because the price and timing worked.

I am also looking at the Jade. I may book a Western Caribbean a couple weeks after she's put back in service as I don't want to experience continuing work. Waiting until the TA might also be a possibility. It seems on the Jewel class NCL likes to keep the slightly garish carpeting and trim in the forward and aft suites, especially compared to the muted colors now in the Haven and 2br suites. Post refurbishment Jewel and Gem SE/SF seem to have retained this look, while 2br and Haven have the more modern look like Epic got and Aways have. I'm not worried about the color scheme too much, but I would expect new carpeting, bedding and chairs/trim pieces.

This probably sounds ridiculous to most, but Jades "Aloha" theme is everywhere since she was designed for Hawaii and that strong Polynesian decor was one of several factors in choosing rcl for our Venice and Greek isle trip. Silly to most I'm sure, but the jade is really warm weather decored and I think that would matter to me when sailing the fjords :(

Hi, I can't. I read it a while back that it'll happen when she goes into drydock in Feb/March, but I've been doing a Search myself to find out more.:)

Ok- I'll start digging too. One of us will find it eventually. We are doing Norway in 2018 so I'm waiting to see what my options are. Next summer our big 3 week trip is to the Galapagos so no cruise. We are sneaking in a quick 7 nights on epic over Christmas (last minute decision) because the price and timing worked.

I found it...... ;)

This British newspaper article is getting in to details about the refurbishment of the Jade while in drydock in 2017:

http://www.express.co.uk/travel/cruise/713410/Norwegian-Jades-multi-million-pound-upgrade-debut-Southampton-2017

Off topic, I know, but the references to Lobster in that article are interesting to all the lobster fans (I'm not one of those).

One of the big talking points on here lately has been that you apparently can't get Lobster anywhere there days. That article suggests that won't be the case on the Jade.

Most ships are getting total make overs. Stripping public areas down to the steel and refinishing. We were in a 2 br Havens on the Epic as she came out of a 3+ week dry dock. The room had new carpets, furniture, tiling. Old wall paper and wood paneling.

Here's what the did on the Dawn.

We were on the Dawn a few weeks after she came out of dry dock. Total transformation.

I highly suspect the Jade makeover will look much like what they did to the rooms on Dawn and POA. There will be brown carpet in the suites with green accents. Bedding will be light tans with green accents. Wall coverings will match. The makeovers I've seen all look very nice.

Public areas will vary some but look at Gem, Dawn, Epic, and POA makeovers to get an idea. Seems on Epic and Gem they didn't necessarily re-do all the rooms.

I was on the Jade during the last week of September, and I saw two guys from the refurbishment design company all over the ship in the public areas, taking photos and measurements. I didn't talk to them, but one person I spoke to did, and they did confirm the removal of everything Hawai'ian from the ship.

--Michael

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Jade and dry dock is scheduled for 3-4 weeks in March 2017. Did not ask what will be done but overheard a conversation during one of our Cagney lunches about them checking on what carpet they have available in their storage area.

Got off the Jade on Sunday. At Q&A session onboard with officers, we were told that refurbishment will take place in the Bahamas, all crew (except entertainers) will stay onboard while in dry dock, crew will help contractors with things like moving furniture, etc. Renovations will take place 24/7 while in dry dock. All garish Hawaiian themed décor will be removed, carpets replaced, etc. Even some public rooms being repurposed, i.e. Spinnaker will be for Haven guests, Brazilian restaurant is being moved to area near Cagneys, area where shop is currently located will be turned into a lounge, etc.

Spinnaker will be for Haven guests

-> Hope not, that would be bad

I agree. I'd hate to see the bow Spinnaker available only to Haven guests. The Spinnaker is one of my favorite quiet scenic places to relax.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they limited it to Haven guests. After all, on the Star and the Dawn they made cabins out of that Spinnaker area. :mad: :(

I agree. I'd hate to see the bow Spinnaker available only to Haven guests. The Spinnaker is one of my favorite quiet scenic places to relax.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they limited it to Haven guests. After all, on the Star and the Dawn they made cabins out of that Spinnaker area. :mad: :(

I guess there's no way to find out for sure until they do or don't do it, right?

I was thinking of booking Jade after refurbishment. One of the reasons would be the Spinnaker Lounge, because it's so "quiet" and "scenic" (like NM said).

I could see them making it into cabins, but to limit it to the Haven guests, ???, there's hardly anyone in it now, why can't it be open to both.

I love the Spinnaker ... :(

and I cant believe that this really big lounge could only be for Haven Guests...

too many things happen there... Bingo, Trivia, dancing, singers and bands, all over the days and in the evenings

The Jade will go to the North of Europe next year and they will need a big lounge for bad weather..

The Star Bar would be closer for Haven guests and the size would better fit for the number of people in Haven. Love the Star Bar too, but if I could decide... leave the Spinnaker for all guests and take a smaller one for Haven ;-)

I HOPE that my arguments are enough :D:D:D

I think I was at the same Q&A as jaapie ("How to Run a Floating Hotel" on Nov 9) and I don't recall them mentioning that Spinnaker would become a Haven-only area. I think the audience would have reacted quite negatively to that (especially since we were all sitting in the Spinnaker Lounge at the time…)

HD Mirsad did confirm the removal of the Hawaiian decor, and the changes involving Moderno/Blue Lagoon/Star Bar that have already happened on other ships. He also said some stuff about the staterooms, but I don't recall the details, or if he talked about suites specifically. He also made a point to say that they might not be able to accomplish 100% of the planned cosmetic updates and that the primary focus of the dry dock is technical (engine work, azipods, hull paint).