Trying to decide on my next solo (no NCL)

AdoraBelle

Loved NCL studios, had a very bad experience on the recent Norovirus sailing of Escape (not the illness itself, the way I was treated), so no more money for NCL at this time.

Trying to decide what to try next. The only mass market lines I haven't tried are RCI and HAL. (Well, and Carnival, but they haven't piqued my interest enough yet.)

Starting to lean RC. I was interested in Anthem for a while, but that ship's string of bad luck has me uncharacteristically superstitious. I've sworn I wouldn't do the mega-mall ships, but Oasis or possibly Harmony are starting to look like potentials. (Kind of can't believe I'm typing this, heh.) Harmony would be slightly more convenient because I can get nonstop flights to FLL for cheap and not deal with the commute out to PC from MCO.

Wondering if anyone has feedback. Here's some of the stuff that's important to me:

--Internet connectivity (sounds like RC has everyone else beat).

--Clean ship that is either newish or recently out of dry dock. I like nice surroundings.

--But doesn't have to be a fancy cabin, as long as it's well laid out and has good climate control. Inside is fine.

--I'm not fanatical about avoiding solo supplement, but it's a bonus.

--I love NCL's thermal suite and always buy the week pass. Do any RC ships have anything similar? SHADED or indoors is key. I don't want to fight for loungers, and never had to in the thermal suite.

--At least a few places on the ship, indoors, where I can sit comfortably and get away from crowds.

--Decent buffet. I just got off the Royal Princess, and buffet there was fabulous. Windjammer comments often seem along the lines of "well, you won't starve ..."

--I like high tech ships, as long as the tech actually works. NCL has touch screen booking systems that work about half the time, lousy internet, and a barely functional phone app.

Any thoughts? Ship recs? I can do FLL, PoM, or possibly Baltimore. I'd need a pretty big pep talk for PC alone, but it's not out of the question. Thanks!

If you don't have to plan vacations too far in advance, Royal's weekly Going, Going, Gone sale does note when the single supplement is less than 200%. Also, the prices are reasonable enough that 200% is doable. IMHO.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

Royal does maintain their ships well. Based on your criteria, you might consider Voyager and Freedom classes as well as Oasis and Quantum. Anthem of the Seas will be the most high tech, but they are saying that Harmony is a hybrid of Oasis and Quantum classes.

For thermal suites, you want Radiance class or Oasis class.

If you don't have to plan vacations too far in advance, Royal's weekly Going, Going, Gone sale does note when the single supplement is less than 200%. Also, the prices are reasonable enough that 200% is doable. IMHO.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

Royal does maintain their ships well. Based on your criteria, you might consider Voyager and Freedom classes as well as Oasis and Quantum. Anthem of the Seas will be the most high tech, but they are saying that Harmony is a hybrid of Oasis and Quantum classes.

Edited to add that the sale website updates early each week.

Thank you, this is incredibly helpful! (And fast!)

I can usually swing a "semi last minute" trip about once a year.

Almost all of HAL's sailings have between 150-165% solo supplement. If you catch one of RCI's "second person sails for 1/2 price" type sales, you can get a single for less than the usual 200%.

I was on Liberty of the Seas last year and the internet was horrendous. You need to have one of the newer ships with the amazing (for sea) internet.

HAL has a thermal suite package. Also, their newest ship (Koningsdam) has some single cabins. HAL also has a number of quiet places to get away from crowds.

Consider Crystal -- their solo supplements are universally low on window and balcony cabins (30% and 35% usually - occasional sales lower, occasional specials (like the NW Passage) higher) and their ships are lovely, the crowds non-existent, the food very good, and the service great. Their initial price may seem high, but they're virtually all inclusive so the final price you pay will likely be comparable (when you take into account tips, drinks, specialty restaurants, facilities, etc).

Edited by calliopecruiser

I just booked my first Solo cruise for July on the Anthem. I to am worried about it's recent troubles with nature but it really appealed to me with the studio cabins. It has been a tough year with my father being ill and passing in August. Any tips for a first time solo cruiser?

I've done it twice now, once for a 4-night and most recently on a 12-night. The studio cabins are impossible to stay in for more than like--7 nights, as long as you wear two sets of clothes twice. Nowhere to put anything. You can always use the bathroom in the spa to take real showers. Speaking of "nature," get used to sitting on the toilet sideways, NO knee room. Betting you'd be better off splurging for a standard inside and pay the solo supplement (unless you know how to beat it). As for "nature," (I'm interpretation what you mean) there are PLENTY of women available for your company, following THEIR natures. If you can dance (even badly) you're IN. The lines have some kind of social activities for Solo/Single Sailors. If your nature reference is about norovirus, FORGET IT. You're either going to get it, or you won't. It's easy to be around people who have had it or about to get it and it won't even touch you. NO HANDSHAKING, only fist-bumps. Liberally shower yourself with quarts of hand sanitizer. If you are adventurous (not necessarily extroverted) you will meet like-minded people on shore excursions. If you like eating with people rather than staring at the empty seat across from you, the maitre d' will hook you up with some simpatico people. As long as you smell good you'll be accepted by a small dinner group that could become more.

Almost all of HAL's sailings have between 150-165% solo supplement. If you catch one of RCI's "second person sails for 1/2 price" type sales, you can get a single for less than the usual 200%.

I was on Liberty of the Seas last year and the internet was horrendous. You need to have one of the newer ships with the amazing (for sea) internet.

HAL has a thermal suite package. Also, their newest ship (Koningsdam) has some single cabins. HAL also has a number of quiet places to get away from crowds.

Is this for inside or ocean-view cabins? Because it certainly isn't the case for balcony cabins. (Unless you're referring only to last-minute sailings)

OP, is there something specific about Princess that is making you try something else, or are you just looking to expand your horizons?

Is this for inside or ocean-view cabins? Because it certainly isn't the case for balcony cabins. (Unless you're referring only to last-minute sailings)

Sorry, you are correct, I forgot to put that it was for inside and oceanview cabins only.:o

I've done it twice now, once for a 4-night and most recently on a 12-night. The studio cabins are impossible to stay in for more than like--7 nights, as long as you wear two sets of clothes twice. Nowhere to put anything. You can always use the bathroom in the spa to take real showers. Speaking of "nature," get used to sitting on the toilet sideways, NO knee room. Betting you'd be better off splurging for a standard inside and pay the solo supplement (unless you know how to beat it). As for "nature," (I'm interpretation what you mean) there are PLENTY of women available for your company, following THEIR natures. If you can dance (even badly) you're IN. The lines have some kind of social activities for Solo/Single Sailors. If your nature reference is about norovirus, FORGET IT. You're either going to get it, or you won't. It's easy to be around people who have had it or about to get it and it won't even touch you. NO HANDSHAKING, only fist-bumps. Liberally shower yourself with quarts of hand sanitizer. If you are adventurous (not necessarily extroverted) you will meet like-minded people on shore excursions. If you like eating with people rather than staring at the empty seat across from you, the maitre d' will hook you up with some simpatico people. As long as you smell good you'll be accepted by a small dinner group that could become more.

Lol, by nature, I meant the ocean. The anthem has recently had a few run ins with bad storms while at sea. Thanks for the heads up thought about the bathroom situation for studio cabins. But I found this video of one of the studio cabins on the Anthem. The bathroom looks really well situated.

I've done solo on Anthem and Oasis. You can't go wrong on either ship.

On the Anthem I was in a virtual balcony. I didn't think I would like it but it actually worked for me. I loved the 270 concept. I stayed in there all day some times. It has several lounge spots, its own cafe and bar. Grab a book and post up by the huge floor to ceiling windows. Anthem is my new fav ship.

Oasis class it's in class all by itself. You will love it or hate it. I enjoy the different outdoor venues. Four different pool settings, solarium, or check out the flowriders. Not to mention the different free eating options. Love park cafe. Nothing like a fresh made to order sandwich and a roast beef sandwich. Yummy. I had a boardwalk balcony. Loved the balcony. I was 5 balconies back from the aqua theater so I was able to enjoy the ocean as well. Entertainment hands down nothing like it anywhere.

I would book either class in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

OP, is there something specific about Princess that is making you try something else, or are you just looking to expand your horizons?

Oh sorry--I think I left this out of the original post, but I do two kinds of cruises ... smaller cheaper ones solo (mostly NCL studios so far), and then suite/concierge ones with the significant other (those are the once/year splurges). We did Princess for that this year, and we loved the Royal. But on those we spend a lot of time in the room chilling out, whereas when I'm solo I like to walk the ship a lot and check out what's going on, see shows, etc. Princess was a little sedate for that (although far more lively than X). Still, I wouldn't rule them out for a cheap inside solo trip, and we will almost certainly sail them again in a suite.

And I suppose RCI is drawing me merely because I haven't tried them yet.

I appreciate the ongoing responses, sorry I haven't had more time to respond.

I understand your hesitation with ncl. Even though that same treatment could happen on any line, like you, I tend to vote with my pocketbook and considering your experience it would take a lot of coaxing to get me onboard another ncl ship.

I do travel once a year solo. It's part of a being good to me ritual. I don't limit myself to solo cruising, but I've done HAL, rCL, MSC, and Princess all solo.

Right now I think the best solo option in terms of pricing is the solo balcony on quantum class. I too have a bit of superstition with anthem, but I booked her anyway because for the price of a solo balcony nothing but MSC came close (and I much prefer rcl). Im paying slightly less for my anthem solo balcony than I did for a last minute regular aft facing balcony on MSC (same spring break week).

There are 12 solo balconies on anthem. Deck 7 is a better pick than 6 (due to lifeboats). The Xx48 cabins have MASSIvE balconies. The XX50 cabins have extra large balconies, and the xx52 have normal balconies.

The solo cabins on quantum have identical bathrooms to regular cabins so no compromise there.

If you can't wait for a last minute booking and you can't get past the curse of the anthem, I'd say harmony ocean view would be my next pick. The windows in harmony solo are larger than regular cabins.

When I cruised solo on Hal, MSC, and Princess I just waited to book until the 45 day mark. Paying double on overstock

Inventory pricing can still be quite reasonable.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by BermudaBound2014

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Oh sorry--I think I left this out of the original post, but I do two kinds of cruises ... smaller cheaper ones solo (mostly NCL studios so far), and then suite/concierge ones with the significant other (those are the once/year splurges). We did Princess for that this year, and we loved the Royal. But on those we spend a lot of time in the room chilling out, whereas when I'm solo I like to walk the ship a lot and check out what's going on, see shows, etc. Princess was a little sedate for that (although far more lively than X). Still, I wouldn't rule them out for a cheap inside solo trip, and we will almost certainly sail them again in a suite.

And I suppose RCI is drawing me merely because I haven't tried them yet.

I appreciate the ongoing responses, sorry I haven't had more time to respond.

I have sailed Anthem 6 times to date, 4 times solo and I'm booked solo for 1/14/17 as well. Also booked on the Harmony for 2/25 & 3/4 solo, 1st time for the Harmony, but have sailed the Oasis & Allure previously ~ you cannot go wrong w/ either. I make friends with Cruise Critic members prior to sailing and we do things throughout the cruise as well as in port together and have a ball - sometimes we make Main Dinning reservations together or many times do the specialty restaurants. You can make anything happen that you want to. i.e. sail away parties leaving each port. I just sailed the Freedom in Dec. had 32 people on my balcony (The Presidential Suite) and every night 10 -12 people hanging out. Plus the people that you meet onboard love to do many things throughout the sailing. I need a vacation from my vacation at the end of every cruise. :)

That's the heart of the matter. Thanks for getting to me that is exactly for what I was searching.

I was completely blown away by your cruise aboard the "Evangeline." Got photos? Movies? I have some personal memories of her as a kid, spotting ships sailing out of Miami. I even have an old postcard of her in Nassau.[/color]

• 5 weeks later...