Help with NY planning--calling all experts

trosmiles2u

We have booked a cruise for Sept. 3-10 on NCL out of NY to celebrate my parent's 50th anniversary. We have never been to NY or Bermuda so super excited for both. I was checking flights and we can get direct flights to and from Indianapolis/NY LaGuardia for about $260.00. That seems pretty reasonable to me, but I've never priced tix to NY. :)

I'm currently looking at what hotel to stay in. We are flying in on Thursday so we can check out the sights. We want to see the Statue of Liberty, 9/11 Memorial, Times Square, try to catch a show like the Lion King...any other suggestions? There is 7 of us and we won't have a car.

Someone on another thread I was reading suggested the Best Western Robert Treat Hotel 50 Park Place, Newark, New Jersey, 07102-4398. With our AAA discount we can get the rooms for $144.00, which is great. My concern is that it is too far away from the things we want to see and we will spend more on transportation than we save.

On another thread, the Courtyard Marriott New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue

3 East 40th Street New York, NY 10016 USA was suggested. I priced rooms there and they were $229/254/271 for the 3 nights. That doesn't seem terrible to me either for what we expect in NY and the convenience of being closer to things.

Any other suggestions? It might be cheaper to book a suite with a pull out couch since we have 7 people so we only have to book 2 rooms vs 3.

Also, any help with transportation options would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Since the point of the exercise is to see New York, staying in New Jersey is questionable. Yes - about $100 per day per room more - but a good part of the dirrerence would be consumed by carfare. While there are fairly cheap ways of going back and forth- they will use up more of your available time.

For 7 travelers with luggage, you will need 2 vehicles (possibly 1 minivan and 1 sedan) to fit everything - please factor in your net total transportation costs from airport to hotel pre- and post-cruise, including toll charges; plus, hotel to cruise port - MCT or Manhattan Cruise Terminal in NYC. In short, hotel savings would likely disappear or get wipe out entirely by the time you add it all up ... along with the daily sightseeing costs in Manhattan. Forget about renting a minivan as parking costs are skyhigh.

That's around/close to the Labor Day weekend where you might find good hotel deals but September as a whole is historically, high season for NYC hotels with variety of events going on - lock in a good & affordable rates now, while you continue to shop around for competitive & lower rates. Book your hotel in NYC, even if it's outside Manhattan like Long Island City, just a quick subway ride across/under the East River - and you can ride the buses & subways with free transfer.

As for booking a hotel suite instead ... good luck, they are out there but not sure about Manhattan. For our land-based vacation last month, we stayed at extended stay properties with 2 BR suites, loved the extra room with 2 baths & full amenities ... except, as a general rule, pullout sofa bed's mattress are notorious for being thin, saggy & horrible for sleeping by adults. It wasn't a problem as there're just 5 of us ... the one who rather/choose to camp on the sofabed is known to pull the mattress onto the floor & sleep on top, as it is firmer.

OP: Since you have never been to NY, and the point of your pre-cruise visit is to see NY, I would not stay in NJ and waste the time traveling back and forth. Frankly, unless you find Manhattan totally unaffordable, I would not even stay in Queens or another borough. Apart from time issues, there's something special about walking around Manhattan at night, and easily getting back to your hotel.

I would find a hotel in Manhattan that you can afford, within walking distance of a subway and perhaps some of the things you want to see and do.

Last winter, we stayed at the Hampton Inn Times Square North, which has been recommended on here, and it was just fine. Near the subway, and you can walk to Times Square and the Broadway theatres, Rockefeller Center, and well beyond. It's also a short cab ride to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

Happy anniversary to your parents, and have a wonderful trip!

We have booked a cruise for Sept. 3-10 on NCL out of NY to celebrate my parent's 50th anniversary. We have never been to NY or Bermuda so super excited for both. I was checking flights and we can get direct flights to and from Indianapolis/NY LaGuardia for about $260.00. That seems pretty reasonable to me, but I've never priced tix to NY. :)

I'm currently looking at what hotel to stay in. We are flying in on Thursday so we can check out the sights. We want to see the Statue of Liberty, 9/11 Memorial, Times Square, try to catch a show like the Lion King...any other suggestions? There is 7 of us and we won't have a car.

Someone on another thread I was reading suggested the Best Western Robert Treat Hotel 50 Park Place, Newark, New Jersey, 07102-4398. With our AAA discount we can get the rooms for $144.00, which is great. My concern is that it is too far away from the things we want to see and we will spend more on transportation than we save.

On another thread, the Courtyard Marriott New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue

3 East 40th Street New York, NY 10016 USA was suggested. I priced rooms there and they were $229/254/271 for the 3 nights. That doesn't seem terrible to me either for what we expect in NY and the convenience of being closer to things.

Any other suggestions? It might be cheaper to book a suite with a pull out couch since we have 7 people so we only have to book 2 rooms vs 3.

Also, any help with transportation options would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Here's how I see your situation:

You have made a lucky choice of dates for NYC. Hotels prices for Labor Day Weekend are always reasonable with many good prices to be found.

The advice for the Robert Treat is ordinarily for folks sailing from Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ and flying into Newark Airport. It's not good advice for you sailing from Manhattan and flying into La Guardia.

Try to stay in Manhattan. Wherever you stay, you want to have easy access to the subway because your sightseeing objectives are in midtown and downtown Manhattan. Quite frankly it's too early to make a nonrefundable hotel purchase. Be patient and do some more research to narrow down your choices. With 7 people exactly what kind of room configuration are you looking for? 5 and 2 or 4 and 3? Bed size? I think you'll find suites will be more expensive than regular rooms.

Just to add to everyone else, I'd really try to stay in Manhattan if this if your first time and those are your plans.

Everyone has their favorite hotel and favorite neighborhood. My wife and I tend to stay in Midtown East, and almost always at the Marriott Midtown East, but there are a lot of options all over town. The Courtyard on 40th appears to be very nice. There are a number of similar properties (Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, Hilton Garden Suites, etc.) near Herald Square. Some of the best rates are pre-pay, but if you're a AAA member or a Marriotts Reward member, there are almost certainly good rates you can lock in and look for price drops. The other odd thing in Manhattan is that frequently the "second tier" hotels (Courtyard, Hilton Garden Suites, etc.) are more expensive than the full service hotels. Yes, you'll get breakfast at some of those, and free internet, but if you just join the loyalty club for the hotel chain (and book through their web page!), you'll usually get free internet at the full service locations.

Good luck and enjoy!

Another vote for Manhattan , midtown if possible, I would try for at least one Broadway play, tkts which has a few location sells half price tickets, 2 locations in Manhattan, I prefer the downtown location close to World trade center since it has less of a line and you can but tickets for both today and next day daytime plays.

https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/TKTS-ticket-booths

We can also give you restaurant suggestions if needed,

Another vote for Manhattan , midtown if possible, I would try for at least one Broadway play, tkts which has a few location sells half price tickets, 2 locations in Manhattan, I prefer the downtown location close to World trade center since it has less of a line and you can but tickets for both today and next day daytime plays.

https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/TKTS-ticket-booths

We can also give you restaurant suggestions if needed,

My one caution on this, since you mentioned a specific show and you have a limited amount of time, is try to get an idea of availability. TKTS now has a phone app that will show you ticket availability. So, if you're looking at a Friday evening performance of Lion King, and that's what you really want to see, and there aren't half price tickets on TKTS for a Friday performance in June or July, you'd probably better look at buying direct. Lilkewise, if you're looking at the show's web page and the "pick your seat" feature is looking pretty slim, those aren't likely to make it to TKTS.

If you just want a Friday evening show, for instance, your odds are a lot better.

My one caution on this, since you mentioned a specific show and you have a limited amount of time, is try to get an idea of availability. TKTS now has a phone app that will show you ticket availability. So, if you're looking at a Friday evening performance of Lion King, and that's what you really want to see, and there aren't half price tickets on TKTS for a Friday performance in June or July, you'd probably better look at buying direct. Lilkewise, if you're looking at the show's web page and the "pick your seat" feature is looking pretty slim, those aren't likely to make it to TKTS.

If you just want a Friday evening show, for instance, your odds are a lot better.

I should have mentioned the app, but as long as you are open to see a play , TKTS is great we normally see 4 plays on each trip over last couple of decades ( we go every year) and only once bought tickets ahead of time, since there are always so many shows that are available. Another note on World trade center is I would by tickets to museum ahead of time, but if you want to do elevator to the top, I would do that only on that day, no lines, and would only pay for it if it was a clear day, but elevator ride is amazing.

I should have mentioned the app, but as long as you are open to see a play , TKTS is great we normally see 4 plays on each trip over last couple of decades ( we go every year) and only once bought tickets ahead of time, since there are always so many shows that are available. Another note on World trade center is I would by tickets to museum ahead of time, but if you want to do elevator to the top, I would do that only on that day, no lines, and would only pay for it if it was a clear day, but elevator ride is amazing.

I agree about buying to the 9/11 Museum ahead of time. I was just there last month and many of the times were sold out on the day we were there. The Museum was very well done in my opinion.

Sue