Cleaning baby bottles

spongebobshayne

We will be taking our 18 month grandson on our 10 day eastern Caribbean Cruise in January. Has anyone used the Steri-bottle that is only used once? Don't like the idea of washing bottles in the bathroom sink. Thanks for any suggestions except for any that suggest we leave our grandson home. Lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

Use disposables...but in reality, 18 month olds do NOT need sterile bottles! They are crawling, and putting stuff in their mouths...the fork/spoon they use isn't 'sterile" or the plate their food is on....no need for "sterile" bottles, either!

CB at sea--Lol! I was thinking the same thing! Also, I know I'm old school, raising our 5 children many years ago (all adults now in 30s-40s), but I threw away their bottles by 12 months! Time for sippy cups at meals and snacks! And I know my daughters did the same with their children. But if you are still using bottles, the bathroom sink is fine. No need for sterile!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

CB at sea--Lol! I was thinking the same thing! Also, I know I'm old school, raising our 5 children many years ago (all adults now in 30s-40s), but I threw away their bottles by 12 months! ...

That's what I thought too - 18 months sounds a bit too big to still be using a bottle. Since I'm not a parent I looked this one up for a better authority - the American Academy of Pediatrics. They recommend that babies be off bottles by 12 months and no later than 18 months. The claim is that prolonged bottle use adds excess calories to the kid's diet and therefore increases risk toward obesity.

Agree with those who said your grandson should (hate the word, but I think it fits here) be on sippy cups, not bottles. There is no need to sterilize. If you (well, your son or daughter and his/her spouse) insist on bottles, the disposable liners are fine and the bathroom sink is fine, too. Please don't overthink this. At 18 months, he is getting into all kinds of things and in my opinion (yes, I have raised two myself), the toddler does not need sterilized bottles.

Enjoy your family cruise. :)

Well, I think it is just the natural course this thread took... people are giving OP some ideas and thoughts. :)

Maybe but maybe there are some reasons the OP has that were not mentioned.:) Giving any advice, ideas or thoughts on something dealing with children is usually something I try to always avoid. Yes, I had some of the same thoughts that others expressed but decided to let them go and tried to answer like Clarea might.;)

Edited by iheartbda

Well, I think it is just the natural course this thread took... people are giving OP some ideas and thoughts. :)

When I read the title of this threat my "thoughts" were where is the OP planning to go if they are traveling with a baby so young that it needs sterilized bottles? Was it a typo and the child was 8 months and not 18 months? Some naive newbies don't read the T&C much less the age restrictions on young children sailing on itineraries with consecutive sea days.

Earlier this year a poster - "we are a couple and an 8 month old baby" - inquired about a TA. They disappeared from the board after being told that baby cannot sail a TA until after its first birthday.

I'm actually more concerned about why Grandma is asking and not the parent of the child. Seems odd. :o

It appears to me that the grandma and her husband are the ones taking the child on the cruise. Doesn't seem odd to me. What is odd to me is why she would ask cruise ship cruisers rather than a medical professional.:confused:

It appears to me that the grandma and her husband are the ones taking the child on the cruise...

I considered that too, and perhaps son/daughter is not a member here so Grandma thought she would ask. Anyway, it's obvious she hasn't come back to this thread so we'll see if anything more comes of this. I mean, unless toddler has an immune issue or an illness not mentioned here, bottles do not need sterilization for an 18 month old.

I considered that too, and perhaps son/daughter is not a member here so Grandma thought she would ask. Anyway, it's obvious she hasn't come back to this thread so we'll see if anything more comes of this. I mean, unless toddler has an immune issue or an illness not mentioned here, bottles do not need sterilization for an 18 month old.

I mentioned before, if the grandma has a concern, she should ask a medical professional if the bottles need to be sterilized, not ship cruisers.:)