Books in your luggage

rxmurphy

A cruising buddy got me into Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series and now I'm seriously addicted. :D My mom loves mysteries, and she's a big fan of Elizabeth Peters and Sue Grafton. She also likes J.A. Jance. On my last business trip to Chicago, I read The Time Traveller's Wife, an amazing book. I also recently read The Kite Runner. It was a great novel, but very very sad. Not really a cruise book, though.

I love a couple of relatively new authors - Dorothea Benton Frank and Patricia Gaffney.

When packing books, it is best to put them in an outer zip pocket of your bag - I understand that a pile of books can look suspicious, like a bomb I guess - and the TSA may want to take a look. We were carrying travel books when we went to Alaska, and they did inspect that pocket.

I like the Anna Pigeon series by Nevada Barr - murder mysteries in a national park setting - the heroine is a park ranger.

I also like Rita Mae Brown's Mrs. Murphy series (also mysteries w/2 cats & a dog as well as the humans) and I've read one of her hunting ones that I liked, too, but can't remember the name offhand. Light but fun.

James Patterson (Alex Cross series & his 1st to Die, etc. series) is dark but interesting.

I'm working on the Miss Julia series by Ann B. Ross right now - those are hilarious.

DH likes Clive Cussler & other Manly Man type reads, LOL.

And we both love Harry Potter, although we've done those on audiobooks, which are amazing.

For my cruise, I took:

When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops? by George Carlin

Jarhead by Anthony Swofford (now a major motion picture from Universal Pictures)

How to Win Friends, Kick Ass and Influence People by former CNN Headline News anchor Lynne Russell

Finding Serenity: Anti-heroes, Lost shepherds and Space Hookers in Joss Whedon's Firefly edited by Jane Espenson

Star Wars and Philosophy: More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine edited by Kevin S. Decker and Jason T. Eberl

Star Wars: Labryinth of Evil by James Luceno

My wife took:

Eragon and Eldest by Christopher Paolini

Dune: The Battle of Corrin by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson

The Firebrand and Ancestors of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

I recommend taking mass-market sized paperbacks and leaving all your hardcover and tradepaperbacks at home. I also suggest you avoid A Night to Remember by Walter Lord at all costs.

Well, this Old Fogy usually brings anything by James Mitchener. I've read most of his books a few times each, so it doesn't matter if I finish or not! A couple of years ago, I brought along the 3" thick paperback of "Hawaii". After dragging this poor thing along to various beaches, out by the ship's pools, and leaving it on the toilet lid while showering, it suddenly became a 9" water-logged roll of toilet paper! Not to worry - I have several copies!

Personally, I bring a combo of romance (after all isn’t sailing with the one you love romantic) and of course the thriller/suspense mystery type for balcony reading. I would recommend Jeff Lindsay’s Dexter books. He only has two in this series but if you are “faint of heart” stay away!

I adore Wilbur Smith's books.. You get into them and are transported into the story.. but they are not so "Deep" that you can't put 'em down and remember who the characters are the next day after an evening of libations :D .. He writes of Africa which at first didn't sound that appealing to me but OMG... do I love his books.. and for a quick no brainer book since I read legal stuff all day at home, good ole profilic herself: Danielle S.

Your being from the South, you may enjoy Sweetwater Creek by Anne Rivers Siddon. I just read it on my cruise a couple of weeks ago. It is new and in hardback.

http://www.harpercollins.com/authorintro/index.asp?authorid=9057

Gloria - I love Dorothea Benton Frank! I wish she were not so slow in getting her new releases out.:( I will have to look into this other author you speak of. ;)

Another Vote for Janet Evanovich....no brainers, fun and a fast read - I have read all but #11.

I also just read James Patterson: 4th of July and Second Chance....great mysteries; fast reads and real page turners...couldn't put them down. Easy to read but great between the umbrella drinks....

Have a great time:)

I like a paperback book that I can fit in my waist pack along with my sunscreen and other essentials. On my last cruise, I read "Sushi for Beginners' by Marion Keyes and "Girls Poker Night" (can't remember the author). So it's chick lit or mysteries for me. Evananvich (the Stephanie Plum books as recommended above; not her earlier books), Faye Kellerman (wife of Jonathan), Patricia Cornwall, Susan Conant, Sue Grafton, Jennifer Cruisie. I already have a few books put aside for my next cruise, unless I read them before.;)

Finally! I've found someone that has read Dorothea Benton Frank. I've also listened to her books on tape while walking and enjoy them a second time around. I love the Low Country settings - I am from Atlanta originally, so it feels like home to read the southern "talk".

Likw you, Anne Rivers Siddons is also a favorite of mine. I haven't read Sweetwater Creek yet - I gave it to a friend for her birthday and will read it when she is done.

Patricia Gaffney is also easy to read. I hope you will read this author and let me know via email {Fellows at worldnet dot att dot net} what you thought. I love these books and pass them on to family and friends, they are so special. They are not necessarily set in the South, but are about relationships betweem women family members and friends. Circle of Three is about 3 generations of women and their relation to one another; The Saving Graces is about women friends; The Goodbye Summer about a grandaughter and grandmother.

Another author I enjoy is Maeve Binchy, but her books are long endeavors with lots of characters and details. She is Irish and just about all her books are set in Ireland with very specific details as to Irish life. I always feel I've visited Ireland when I'm finished with one of her books. DH has been reading Andrew M. Greeley, also Irish, and has developed an interest in Ireland as well. It looks like a British Isles cruise is in our future! :)

DH and I take reading material, but we also like to do word puzzles - "word search" and "jumbles" are favorites. I pick up a few new puzzle books before the trip, and we finish them by the end of the cruise.

We never leave home without Travel Scrabble (I've seen this in some ship libraries), and we play at least once a day (a game or two on flights, too). We also participate in onboard Trivia sessions as often as possible

Of course, if you're going to do puzzles, you'll need pens/pencils that can be purchased in the ship shop.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Here's another vote for Dean Koontz...

Also, another recommendation is The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory. This is a WONDERFUL book. I've never been a fan of historical fiction, but I absolutely LOVED this book!!! It reads like a juicy novel, but knowing that it is also factual makes it all the more interesting.

You will not be able to put this novel down!!!

Archived