Books in your luggage

rxmurphy

I can be accused of not packing early, but reading material is definitely a planned event. Just bought 3 Harry Bosch novels by Michael Connelly and 3 Sudoku books. I'm not sure I have the entire 15 days taken care of, so I'll look at some of the other suggestions on this thread!

Anything by Anita Shreve would be great. She is a talented writer and many of her books have an unforeseen twist in them.

Pilots Wife, Fortune's Rocks, Resistance,The Last Time They Met, Sea Glass, Wedding in December, Light on Snow. All great reads!

The last writing class I took, the teacher used Michael Connelley's "The Poet" as a teaching tool. He invited the writer to one of the classes but unfortunately I was very sick with a hay fever attack and couldn't make it. Then a few weeks later, I noticed a co-worker reading that book and I told him about almost meeting him and he said Michael came in (we worked for a business that served the film industry and writers) the week before.

CruisinChick,

Michael Connelly's books are great. Would love a chance to meet him as well. If you like his, try Lee Child's books, he writes one per year and they all have the same character.

I notice you are 15 days ahead of me on the Island Princess, don't destroy the ship!

Dreamer333....are you on the 11/12 sailing? Come join us for sailaway at Tradewinds Bar at 4:30!! We're all wearing blue so we can find each other!

Sounds like fun!!

I'm actually travelling alone :eek: , so I am definitely looking to meet people... Count me in! :)

Sounds like fun!!

I'm actually travelling alone :eek: , so I am definitely looking to meet people... Count me in! :)

Glad to have you! There are others from the Chicago area also going. See you at Tradewinds! If you want to stop by our roll call. this is the site ---> Sapphire Princess 11/12/05 Anyone else plan early - Page 88 - Cruise Critic Message Boards

Caroline, YES for Wilbur Smith!!! Remember "Eagle in the Sky"? Also another vote for Janet Evanovich. I brought three of Ms. Plum's books on board and we would sit out on the balcony and laugh out loud. What great medicine!

I will have to try Janet Evanovich... Have you read Wilbur's latest (Triumph of the Sun)...?? IMHO one of the best.. set in Sudan and not part of a "series"...

OK, i just purchased additional books for the trip based on this thread. The additional ones I am bringing are: Nelson DeMille (Night Fall, The Lion's Game) and Wilbur Smith (The Triumph of the Sun and River God). I think that will round out my reading for the 2-weeks.

Thanks all for the great suggestions!

DH and I cruised on the glorious Caribbean Princess and met an author, Lori Bryant-Woolridge, on board who was working on her next novel. She was quite personable and when we returned home I ordered her book on Amazon.com. It's called Hitts & Mrs. I wouldn't call it romance, maybe chick lit but it was a really quick and good read and meeting the author made it all the more fun!

I also enjoyed Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coehlo (he wrote the Alchemist). Happy cruising.

Oooh! Was glad to see the mentions of Michael Connelley. I almost met him in Atlanta a few months ago when he was on his book tour, but unfortunately I had to travel that week. He was in my local library branch! Oh well. Great books -- I suggest you read them in order.

Janet Evanovich is great, although I think she's on auto-pilot with some of the later ones & they're not as good.

I gave up on John Grisham after one of his latest -- The Summons -- which had the worst, laziest ending I've ever seen. Made me feel so disappointed for wasting my time reading 300+ pages, waiting for a great ending.

Agree that Maeve Binchy is great -- you'll feel like you've moved to Ireland. And any of the longer novels by Rosamunde Pilcher (Coming Home, Winter Solstice, Shell Seekers). She's also written LOTS that are shorter & fluffier & not my taste, but the longer ones will really transport you away to another world. Delicious!!! You will want to find where they live & go move in with them!

Agree on Nelson DeMille -- I particularly liked Night Fall and Plum Island. And Dennis Lehane (Mystic River, Shutter Island) is good.

My DH likes anything by Dale Brown, and Stephen Coonts is pretty good too.

Great thread!

Mary Ellen

Hi everyone, and THANK YOU for some great ideas for different authors I would like to read. Love to go to the book store (or library) and just while away any free time looking for good reads. These lists make it even more fun.

DH and I just returned from a visit to Death Valley and am going to get some of the books re the pioneer familys that the Ranger listed on a talk we attended, sounded very interesting non fiction.

Cori

I don't think this has been mentioned yet.

Toxic Bachelors by Danielle Steel

It's about three successful, middle-aged, best friend bachelors that take their annual summer cruise (on a yacht) to the Mediterranean. Each unexpectedly finds himself involved in a serious romantic relationship with a woman not necessarily his type. Sound good!

See here:http://http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780385338271

I just finished a new one today that was loaned to me by a friend. The author is Paul Levine - the book is Solomon vs. Lord. One of the reviewers says "Carl Hiaasen meets John Grisham" which is right. Great, fun book!

Question about the Stephanie Plum series by J. Evanovich... Do they need to be read in order? I have just started One for the Money, and love it. But I have the ability to load Hard Eight onto my iPod for our holiday sailing. Would I be jumping the gun listening to Hard Eight before reading the rest?

Tina, you can follow the main plots of the Plum books, even out of ordre. But I think it's fun to follow the relationship betw Stephanie and Joe and Stephanie and Ranger. IMO that's better in order.

If anyone decides to get into the Patricia Cornwall books, there's three that I suggest reading in order: Point of Origin, Black Notice, The Last Precinct. Somehow I read TLP before BN and was a little mystified. I didn't realize there was another book before TLP.

Thanks Patty! I figured that is what they would be like.... each one independent, yet linked. I am loving the first one, so I can only imagine.

Started my packing list today, which got me thinking about what I could get on my iPod. Hate having to hold a book at the pool when trying to tan! ;) And I have already told DH & DD's where I will be if they can't find me....

Archived