Oh no!!! A 'what to wear in MDR' thread!

Hello all! This cruise is a nod to my hard working, handsome, sacrificing fiance and the fact that he works sooo hard to give us a great life and I totally appreciate him! He has never cruised before and always said no (period!) but when I said I want to cruise for our wedding he gave in and is trying it! yay!

Now, he wears a suit for work 6 days a week. He loves looking good, loves suit shopping, lol and loves formal nights. But this also is only his second vacation in his WHOLE LIFE (first was 3 days we took to Miami) so he wants to relax. He knows dressing up is important to me for formal night so we bought (matching, yes I know!! lol) outfits for formal night. A tuxish suit for him and a cocktail style dress for me. We are also going to Chops or Giovannis table one night so we will have dress slacks and a shirt/tie for him for that.

My question is those other couple of nights at the mdr. Can a man wear shorts at dinner? I mean without looks from other diners? Jeans? And no, he wouldn't find jeans hot as I know from experience the mdr is typically cool and I always need a sweater. He would live in basketball shorts and tees to relax but I don't think that's appropriate for mdr for dinner. Can you give me the lowest common expectation so that we can pack light and he still feels relaxed?

Thanks!

Unfortunately shorts are on the small list of items forbidden by the dress code. They are OK for lunch, but for dinner they request no shorts, sleeveless tops (on men) bathing suits or flip flop shoes.

Enforcement of this varies so you may see some men in shorts in the dining room, I did see it on our voyager cruise earlier this year. Working in law enforcement we are rule followers so my hubby wears jeans or khakis with a polo shirt.

Jeans are absolutely ok and not against the rule at all.

I hope your fiancé and you enjoy the well earned break and congrats on the upcoming wedding :)

Unfortunately shorts are on the small list of items forbidden by the dress code. They are OK for lunch, but for dinner they request no shorts, sleeveless tops (on men) bathing suits or flip flop shoes.

Enforcement of this varies so you may see some men in shorts in the dining room, I did see it on our voyager cruise earlier this year. Working in law enforcement we are rule followers so my hubby wears jeans or khakis with a polo shirt.

I hope your fiancé and you enjoy the well earned break and congrats on the upcoming wedding :)

Thanks! I was afraid of the no shorts thing... thought I had remembered that

Sorry...but I'll have to disagree....RCI :confused: a "dress code" that's enforced with "forbidden items"...hardly...it's only suggested never mandatory....casual is becoming more and more the norm and even that has a wide range....RCI will very rarely if ever stop anyone from entering one of their dining venue's.....Baseball caps and shorts on formal night...yes it happens.;)

He does NOT need to wear a suit! A pair of casual pants and a golf/polo shirt (something with a collar) is MORE than acceptable! Not hard...not fancy! Shorts really aren't "right" for a nice dining venue....but if he wears them, I doubt they will turn him away.

Hello all! This cruise is a nod to my hard working, handsome, sacrificing fiance and the fact that he works sooo hard to give us a great life and I totally appreciate him! He has never cruised before and always said no (period!) but when I said I want to cruise for our wedding he gave in and is trying it! yay!

Now, he wears a suit for work 6 days a week. He loves looking good, loves suit shopping, lol and loves formal nights. But this also is only his second vacation in his WHOLE LIFE (first was 3 days we took to Miami) so he wants to relax. He knows dressing up is important to me for formal night so we bought (matching, yes I know!! lol) outfits for formal night. A tuxish suit for him and a cocktail style dress for me. We are also going to Chops or Giovannis table one night so we will have dress slacks and a shirt/tie for him for that.

My question is those other couple of nights at the mdr. Can a man wear shorts at dinner? I mean without looks from other diners? Jeans? And no, he wouldn't find jeans hot as I know from experience the mdr is typically cool and I always need a sweater. He would live in basketball shorts and tees to relax but I don't think that's appropriate for mdr for dinner. Can you give me the lowest common expectation so that we can pack light and he still feels relaxed?

Thanks!

Yes he can.

Sorry...but I'll have to disagree....RCI :confused: a "dress code" that's enforced with "forbidden items"...hardly...it's only suggested never mandatory....casual is becoming more and more the norm and even that has a wide range....RCI will very rarely if ever stop anyone from entering one of their dining venue's.....Baseball caps and shorts on formal night...yes it happens.;)

I don't mind if you disagree, but royal does publish a dress code with the limitations I mentioned. It's in the cruise compass and posted on a sign at the MDR. Suggested dress is the daily casual/formal/white night etc

Thanks!

If I read your post right, I doubt your worries will matter much.

I love to wear shorts and be super casual when I relax too- during the day, it's commonly very casual. But something in my head makes me want to wear slacks in the evening. Your fiance seems to like to be sharp more than I do, as I have seen with many other men.

So while one *could* wear shorts and T's in the dining room, I personally would wonder if he would want to in the first place. One pair of evening slacks doesn't take up much room.

There is suggested attire for the dining room, but it seems minimally enforced, and depending on which ship you're on, might not be enforced at all.

With that said. I can't imagine them letting a guy through in basketball shorts. If you don't mind being turned away I would just bring the jeans and give it a try and if they don't let you in, eat in the buffet, which has most of the same food and a more relaxed atmosphere (I personally prefer it).

Congratulations on your new "pet" [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks!

Officially this is what the dress code says: "Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt." (Dress Code FAQ)

I have always worn shorts to the MDR for dinner, however I justify it in my mind by wearing a nice pair of khaki shorts along with shoes, socks, and a collared polo or Hawaiian shirt.

The dress code for Chops, Gios, etc. are the same as the MDR.

I was horrified to see a guy show up at Chops with a tank top and flip flops, so although there is a "dress code" it is not enforced as you will see if you search through the CC threads.

It's pretty darn easy to toss on a sportcoat to go to the dining room each night which is a great compromise and one my husband has drifted toward. If The OPs guy wants to stay in shorts and really kick back on vacation there are other food venue choices too that are always kick back casual. If the OPs guy wears a suit and tie to work everyday, he probably can do the sport coat casual thing no problem. It's probably more difficult for the guys that don't work in an office and may not have an appropriate wardrobe and don't wish to go purchase appropriate clothing for the MDR. My last cruise was a short haul but I still did not notice shorts in the MDR. It's quite possible that the maitre d sorts people out also so the shorts people are in one area if they let them in...who knows.

It's pretty simple to wear jeans or khakis at night with a polo shirt. You asked if he were shorts would he get looks. The answer is yes. Mainly because the super majority will dress according the dress code, and the few that do not are often noticed.

Honestly, I don't see any difference wearing shorts or khakis, or jeans. They are all just as comfortable to wear in the evening.

Thanks!

I personally don't wear shorts in the MDR. Dress codes are SUGGESTIONS. It is your cruise, dress as you feel. WARNING - If SO wears shorts, prying eyes will be trying to look up his shorts..... to talk about later... also, make sure he shaves his legs as they really don't like hairy legs....

Edited by troykahack

I personally don't wear shorts in the MDR. Dress codes are SUGGESTIONS. It is your cruise, dress as you feel. WARNING - If SO wears shorts, prying eyes will be trying to look up his shorts..... to talk about later... also, make sure he shaves his legs as they really don't like hairy legs....

Lol perverts! Is Trump on board?? :P

Thanks everyone! I'll let him know jeans or dress pants for dinner in mdr is the best option with a polo or Henley. He doesn't really do cargo or Bermuda shorts. He's either in a full suit with vest, tie and pocket square or he is in basketball shorts with a tee lol! So one way or the other. I've enjoyed the different answers though because it's alllll over the place!! A poll would have been better probably I guess lol