Alaska Cruise 2018

akolasz

Hello!

My husband and I are planning an Alaskan Cruise for our 10 year wedding anniversary. I want to have an idea of as much as I can for picking our cruise so when RC releases them for sail in February or March 2017 I can book right away to get the best price and best room. Here is what I have chosen so far, any insight/ tips would help.

We will be choosing a May or June 2018 date. (we know July/Aug are most popular but due to our work schedules May/June is best time for us) We will be doing an Alaska Southbound 7 Night Cruise with hopefully a pre cruise tour starting in either Fairbanks or Anchorage.

Does anyone know which cruise ships will likely be sailing in Alaska in 2018 so I can look at deck plans and have an idea on what room to book? Which rooms would be the best in Balcony or Jr Suite categories?

Anything else I need to or can plan out in advance so am ready when bookings are released?

We have only every cruise RC but might be open to other cruise lines to give them a try. Inlaws sailed Alaska on NCL and other family has sailed Alaska on Princess.

Thanks for the help!

My recommendation is that you start saving now, regardless what cruise line you take. Alaska is the one itinerary for us where we probably spend as much on excursions as we do on the cruise. I've done the pilot's choice helicopter tour in Juneau twice now, and highly recommend it. Also really love the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour - mostly for the number of eagles we saw circling the boat. I'm sure you can do either of those on any cruise line.

I'm glad you are doing the one-way vs round trip - you see more of Alaska that way. We loved going at the beginning of June. Have fun!

I did the southbound cruisetour from Fairbanks and overall it was awesome. The best advice I can give is to budget a lot for meals, since they are not included in the land portion. The hotels used also do not include breakfast, so that can be another $10/person for continental. At most stops you have limited time, and no transportation, to find a selection of reasonable priced eateries, so you will spend easily $15/person for a sandwich at lunch, and over $25 for a burger for dinner, lots more if you want steaks or seafood.

My other major issue was the way the schedule was drastically changed, not just when there was an issue like the power at the lodge going out, but almost every day. It seemed to me the guides knew the schedule was not accurate ahead of time, but nothing was given to us. For example, the schedule said "afternoon arrival to Anchorage, free time and dinner on your own". We pulled into the downtown hotel at 4:30PM, almost everything was closed by 5PM. "Free afternoon" in Fairbanks meant being back at the hotel at 5PM, and although it was light out until 11PM, without a rental car you couldn't get to any museums, although they were closed.

If there is something that is a must see, as Denali Park was for me, I'd recommend arriving early to departure city, getting a rental car and do some things on your own before the tour starts. The schedule changed and we arrived by train from Fairbanks at 12PM, had to grab lunch and get on wilderness tour bus at 1PM, out to 9:00PM, then back to lodge. Our tour didn't go back to Denali the next day. If I had not gone down on my own I would not have been able to see the visitors center, the fil, the dogs and other things.

I think the cruise tour is a once in a lifetime, so yes a lot of research is needed to make the most of it. And you definitely want to do the land tour first, since your days run from luggage out at 6AM and back to hotel at dinner time or later. I was exhausted and slept the first day sea day on the ship.

If you have any other questions I'll try to help.

We will be choosing a May or June 2018 date. (we know July/Aug are most popular but due to our work schedules May/June is best time for us) We will be doing an Alaska Southbound 7 Night Cruise with hopefully a pre cruise tour starting in either Fairbanks or Anchorage.

Does anyone know which cruise ships will likely be sailing in Alaska in 2018 so I can look at deck plans and have an idea on what room to book? Which rooms would be the best in Balcony

We will also be booking a southbound in 2018 with pre cruise tour.

But #1100 is mine ok [emoji6]??

Interested in the precruise tours. Over here in England we don't seem to get the same variety and options as you guys do.

Is there a tour that includes Fairbanks, Denali, talkeetna and then the train from Anchorage down to the ship please and what code # is it?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Six of us chose the Radiance of the Seas plus a 3-day land tour. If I had a do-over, I would have chosen the 6-day land tour in order to see more beautiful countryside and wildlife!:cool: Denali is a must-do, and make sure to do the tour that goes "all of the way" into the park, not just to the visitor's center. We saw huge moose, caribou, grizzlies and black bears, foxes, and various small critters!!

We flew into Fairbanks, then to Anchorage, then on to Seward to board the Radiance of the Seas for our southbound cruise. We chose balcony cabin #9092 because it is right behind the glass elevators on the starboard side (the land side while cruising southbound). The balcony located right behind the glass elevators was perfect for blocking a lot of the wind, as well as the square footage on the balcony was larger than most of the other cabins!;)

When cruising among the glaciers, the ship will totally turn around twice, so everyone gets a fantastic view of the glaciers! They will also have hot chocolate on the helipad for those willing to brave the cold for an up close and personal view! Be sure to take a winter coat/hat!!! I bought mine on board which I planned to do! That was the only time we needed a coat. In July, the weather was warm enough for capris and T-shirts most days, and needing a light jacket sometimes.

The best excursion for us was through the ship. It was the 5-glacier flight over the glaciers in a small plane that landed on water at a remote resort, where we ate lunch and tasted the most delicious salmon, which was caught right there at the resort!! This trip was a bit pricey at $350pp but, trust me, it was well worth it, and we would do it again!!

I thought Alaska would be a one time bucket list thing but I would really love to go back again someday!! Alaska is breathtaking, so save your money, do a nice land tour, and see all you can!!! Enjoy Alaska!!!!

We did an Alaskan cruise on Radiance in August, 2015. We were paying for our two adult daughters and their husbands, so we decided to do it ourselves. No way we could have afforded 6 people on the pre-cruise land tour. Besides, we could do what we wanted, when we wanted to, and not be herded around like cattle.

Spent 1 night in Anchorage and took the train to Seward for 2 nights. We wanted at least 1 full day so we could take the 9 hour Kanai Fjords trip, which was the highlight of our vacation! We also went to the Sealife Aquarium, Seward Museum, etc. No need for a car, you just hop on the yellow buses (for free) and travel around town, or simply walk. It's not a very big town.

We had Cabin 1102, Aft, which was perfect for this cruise (of course, I think Aft is perfect for any and all cruises!). A larger balcony that regular side Cabins, and we could stand outside and see both sides of the inside passage. There 2 Aft Jr. Suites on Deck 11, also. Jr. Suite 1100 is a corner Aft and has a huge balcony! Amazing views! Since you plan on booking when they open up, I would definitely try and get an aft, whether regular balcony or Jr. Suite.

We rented cars in Skagway (up to the Klondike) and Juno (Mendenhall Glacier, Salmon Hatchery, Gold Panning, Alaskan Brewery, etc.). Very inexpensive way for 6 people to travel!

We walked to Hoonah and back at our stop in Icy Strait Point, and in Ketchikan, took a private salmon fishing trip (and sent home lots of filets!)

Then we spent 2 nights in Vancouver to sight see around there.

I thought that was our once-in-a-lifetime trip, but we are booked for August 2017!

Have done 3 Alaska cruises now, and loved them all, but the best was this last one,

which was a back to back on Radiance which does the one way cruise route Seward

to Vancouver and back again.

Explorer does a round trip out of Seattle.

Always a source of great information is the ports of call forum for Alaska.

You may want to check it out. :)

Six of us chose the Radiance of the Seas plus a 3-day land tour. If I had a do-over, I would have chosen the 6-day land tour in order to see more beautiful countryside and wildlife!:cool: Denali is a must-do, and make sure to do the tour that goes "all of the way" into the park, not just to the visitor's center. We saw huge moose, caribou, grizzlies and black bears, foxes, and various small critters!!

We flew into Fairbanks, then to Anchorage, then on to Seward to board the Radiance of the Seas for our southbound cruise. We chose balcony cabin #9092 because it is right behind the glass elevators on the starboard side (the land side while cruising southbound). The balcony located right behind the glass elevators was perfect for blocking a lot of the wind, as well as the square footage on the balcony was larger than most of the other cabins!;)

When cruising among the glaciers, the ship will totally turn around twice, so everyone gets a fantastic view of the glaciers! They will also have hot chocolate on the helipad for those willing to brave the cold for an up close and personal view! Be sure to take a winter coat/hat!!! I bought mine on board which I planned to do! That was the only time we needed a coat. In July, the weather was warm enough for capris and T-shirts most days, and needing a light jacket sometimes.

The best excursion for us was through the ship. It was the 5-glacier flight over the glaciers in a small plane that landed on water at a remote resort, where we ate lunch and tasted the most delicious salmon, which was caught right there at the resort!! This trip was a bit pricey at $350pp but, trust me, it was well worth it, and we would do it again!!

I thought Alaska would be a one time bucket list thing but I would really love to go back again someday!! Alaska is breathtaking, so save your money, do a nice land tour, and see all you can!!! Enjoy Alaska!!!!

We did the Taku Glacier salmon and flight seeing trip also, second time for us, and still

wonderful! :D

Go mid June when the days are longest! Denali is not fully open until around June 8th, so plan accordingly.

We have done the Radiance Southbound cruise twice. Loved every minute of both.

You will save a ton of money doing Denali on your own instead of a cruise tour. Fly into Anchorage on Monday and rent a large SUV. Stay overnight in Anchorage, next morning a leisurely drive to Denali, and make lots of stops. Not to be missed is a rest area on the highway about 90 miles south of Denali. Usually the best viewing of Mt. Denali. Have a great dinner at Denali Park Salmon Bake. Next morning bright and early drive to the park board a shuttle out to Eielson visitors Center. Make sure you make reservations for the park and your hotels (Comfort Inn Downtown - Ship Creek and Grand Denali Lodge) ASAP (one year out). Drive back to Anchorage on Thursday. Dinner at Glacier Brewhouse. Return your SUV to the airport Thursday night. Early Friday morning take the train to Seward from the Anchorage train station. RCI will be at the train station to take your luggage right to your cabin.

Enjoy!

Next morning bright and early drive to the park board a shuttle out to Eielson visitors Center.

Enjoy!

Thank you - that sounds great - but just to clarify, another poster said "make sure to do the tour that goes "all of the way" into the park, not just to the visitor's center." so what and where does the shuttle go to please?

I am looking at the Denali site for the tours (Tundra Wilderness Tour (TWT)

) but really confused as to where you pick these up! Thanks

Thank you - that sounds great - but just to clarify, another poster said "make sure to do the tour that goes "all of the way" into the park, not just to the visitor's center." so what and where does the shuttle go to please?

I am looking at the Denali site for the tours (Tundra Wilderness Tour (TWT)

) but really confused as to where you pick these up! Thanks

When you first enter the park there is a small museum and a transportation center where you board the buses.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visiting-denali.htm#CP_JUMP_1025193

Kantishna (Wonder Lake) is as far into the park as you can travel. Eielson Visitors Center gets you far enough into the park to see Mt. Denali. The trip to Wonder Lake takes over 12 hours round trip, a very long day! You really need to determine how long you would be comfortable riding in a school bus. Shuttle and Tour buses are the same, only different colors. Shuttle drivers will stop for wildlife and do a decent job of narration.

I could go on for hours! Go to Trip Advisor and you will see many reviews with travel tips.

Bottom Line, you can do RCI's cruise tour and everything will be set up for you. But with a little research you can roll you own tour and save a lot of money.

Lastly, make all your reservations as soon as you can. Alaska tourist destinations fill up fast.

When you first enter the park there is a small museum and a transportation center where you board the buses.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visiting-denali.htm#CP_JUMP_1025193

Kantishna (Wonder Lake) is as far into the park as you can travel. Eielson Visitors Center gets you far enough into the park to see Mt. Denali. The trip to Wonder Lake takes over 12 hours round trip, a very long day! You really need to determine how long you would be comfortable riding in a school bus. Shuttle and Tour buses are the same, only different colors. Shuttle drivers will stop for wildlife and do a decent job of narration.

I could go on for hours! Go to Trip Advisor and you will see many reviews with travel tips.

Bottom Line, you can do RCI's cruise tour and everything will be set up for you. But with a little research you can roll you own tour and save a lot of money.

Lastly, make all your reservations as soon as you can. Alaska tourist destinations fill up fast.

Got it!

RCI seem to charge a $4000+premium on top of the cruise fare

for their precruise tour. I'm sure I can arrange a DIY tour for less than that!!!;)

You need reservations even early in the season. The tour that is most recommended is the 8 hour tour, it goes to the end of the paved road. I was a little leery of that long a time on a school bus, but it was awesome. The bus has comfy cloth seats with ample leg room. The tour makes several stops at comfort stations (although being warned to be on lookout for bears was a little unsettling). The box lunch that was provided was more than adequate and the contents were very tasty (I passed on the elk jerky), if you add your own half sandwich you will be very full. The driver was outstanding, a longtime Alaska resident that really passed on her love of the wilderness and what it is like to live in Alaska. She had a super zoom lens on a camera that fed up to video monitors throughout the bus, great for those of us "binocular challenged", elk way across the valley were on the monitor as if right next to the bus. We left the depot at 1PM and got back about 9:30, a little later than scheduled, but the time flew by, I was never bored or uncomfortable.

Whether you see Denali itself is a minute to minute thing. We came down from Fairbanks on the dome car and saw it twice, inside the park it never peeked out, and we didn't see it from Talkeetna. It is really hard to make out because it is snow covered white against a white backdrop. There are several other awesome mountains that the guides will sometimes claim to be Denali, but aren't :-).

We did the inside passage a number of years ago in May. We hit unusually nice weather. the ship was the Radiance. I can't speak for NCL ships but the Radiance class is perfect in my view for an Alaskan cruise. you have great views of the outside from most if not all of the public areas... and when you are sailing the passage you dont want to miss a thing, so it is nice that even at the main elevator you can see out. We have been sailing the caribbean on the Oasis class ships and while I love the class there are limited views outside the ship. Radiance is one of my favorite ships.. have fun