Phone signal

Jenna2407

o

Thankyou, I've checked my priceplan and none of the countries we're visiting are included (apart from the USA, I'm from the UK) how much is wifi?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Forums mobile app

Here's a link to the internet packages...

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/internet-packages

That link doesn't work for me...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Forums mobile app

Sorry about that, that's to the US website, probably blocked for others..

Internet Packages

Stay connected while at sea and share your vacation moments with friends and family back home. With Wifi signal throughout the ship, you can enjoy Internet access with your choice of value Internet Packages.

Internet Package

Item # Description Approx Price Per Day

UCP Ultimate Cruise Plan (all ships)

Per day price for voyages 1-12 days $29.99* USD

UCP Ultimate Cruise Plan (all ships)

Per day price for voyages 13 days or longer $24.99* USD

TP100 Time Plan (100 minutes)

All ships except Sky & Breakaway $75.00* USD

TP250 Time Plan (250 minutes)

All ships except Sky & Breakaway $125.00* USD

TPS60 Time Plan (60 minutes)

Sky only $39.00 USD

TPS100 Time Plan (100 minutes)

Sky only $55.00 USD

TPS300 Time Plan (300mb)

Breakaway only $59.00 USD

TP1000 Time Plan (1000mb)

Breakaway only $125.00 USD

*Prices are subject to change based on ship and sail date.

You asked about getting a mobile phone signal but then inquired about wifi packages. Just wondering, are you interested in getting a phone signal so you can make phone calls, or do just need wifi to get on the internet?

I do think there are probably ways to get an actual phone signal but it would be really expensive. If you just need wifi, you could either buy the package like mentioned above. Or if you don't really need it, and just need it periodically to check email, then I think the cheapest option is to wait until you are in port. Go to a bar and buy a drink for $2 and they will input their wifi password into your phone. Much cheaper. Reliable and fast.

Be very careful.... about 9 years ago, my mom and I were on a Carnival cruise. She thought she'd figured out all the charges in advance with her mobile carrier, and made a few phone calls back home to her husband... well, come to find out, there was some confusion and she ended up being charged nearly $400 for calls (not that many) that she'd been expecting to pay maybe 1/10th of that for. Buyer beware.

The iConcierge app is definitely worth the money for use on board - traveling with my family earlier this year, it was great to be able to easily find each other for whatever reason. We usually just make a point at one or two ports to tuck in somewhere with free WiFi to make a call - Facebook calling, for instance, won't end up costing you hundreds of dollars just to chit chat.

The first year I was with my husband, he went on a cruise without me. He called me every night for a minute or two. I can vouch that the phones in the rooms work fabulously, but that 15-20 minutes he spent on the phone over the length of the cruise was soooo not worth the bill at the end!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Forums mobile app

VoIP or WiFi calling while at sea, especially using the iConcierge App on a smartphone can be hit-n-miss, one party can hear the other usually, but on the opposite end, not always - it's cheap enough to try since you don't need any paid WiFi plan to get that inTRAnet signal while on ship's tower ... this is true, even for the Breakaway with the better (best ??) 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz signal.

Ship's WiFi connection for broadband access to the inTERnet remain pricey (but less expensive than, say, 10 years ago) as it is over satellite orbiting over earth. Cellular (mobile) signal get connected as roaming and the charges are billed to the home carrier - based on whatever negotiated/contracted rates between the partners. All of these aren't your typical McD, Starbuck, DD or public library "WiFi" signals intended for public access, on a shared basis - like those in ports (i.e. off-duty ship crews hanging out just outside the pier/terminal building in Nassau, Bahamas as there's "WiFi" but good luck if you can manage to log in and make it work to check emails, etc. - be mindful that it's an unsecured connection.)

Folks have variety of reasons to stay in touch or being available - to each his/her own - check with one's own cellular provider first, to see what options they offer & its costs. We have T-Mobile, Project Fi plus a voice/SMS only global roaming coverage via an oversea prepaid carrier so we are covered 95% of the time while traveling.

There is a cost - hidden or otherwise - to these functionality; and, for a family/medical or life-n-death situation, nothing is "expensive" ... difference between "like to stay in touch" vs. "must be available and in touch".

SMS or texting is one of the better & bargain alternative in daily "wellness" check with the pet-sitter & house-watching trusty neighbor next door ... surprising affordable vs. those $4.99 per minute stateroom calls (that are much, much more reliable, for variety of reasons)

Last but not least, whether it's a $49 almost "free" smartphone or $899 iPhone 7+ one needs to learn & be comfortable in how to enabling/disabling its assorted voice/data/roaming modes & understand what's airplane mode as those "oops" configuration errors can result in hundreds, if not thousand dollar's worth of carrier/partner charges while traveling.

Happy cruising ;)

We cruised to the Caribbean in January and we didn't have a signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you call your carrier and set your phone up with international capabilities?

Cell phones don't automatically get international service especially older phones or it may have just not been usable internationally

There most definitely is signal coverage in the Carib so it was either your phone or carrier

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

We're from the uk and if u use ur phone while at sea be prepared for a big bill when you come home

I know this from experience but knew in advance that it was going to be big but my mum was very ill at the time so finding how she was keeping was far more important that the cost think it ran to about £400 for a 10 day cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk