Please Help Me Propose

KetchupAndMuster

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

I've been a long-time reader of this site and have always been appreciative of the wealth of knowledge here but have never chimed in. Well, today that's changing...

I'm heading out on Celebrity Reflection with my girlfriend next month. It will be my seventh cruise (RC Freedom/Adventure/Oasis/Navigator, X Reflection, NCL Getaway) and I plan to propose sometime during the 7 days. Hooray! She has cruised once before with friends but this will be our first together.

The ship will be stopping in Grand Cayman, Labadee, Falmouth and Cozumel. I would love to hear your suggestions for a romantic, private proposal whether on the ship or on an island. If you know of any excursions, amazing spots on those islands or otherwise have any other creative ideas for an amazing proposal, I am all ears. :)

We will have a balcony stateroom and would say that Grand Cayman is probably my favourite of those four ports.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Carry the ring with you...when you find the "right moment", you'll know.....at least, I hope so! I don't think "creative" is the best way...I think "from the heart" is.....if it's right, you'll know it...and so will she.

Good luck, and congratulations! We just celebrated 40 years last Sunday....43 together. It takes WORK and commitment...but it's SO worth it!

Please, do NOT carry ring onshore. Those are not the safest islands. You might propose in Muranos or other alternate restaurants with a nice bottle of champagne. Set it up with Maitre D. Ask for a private table.OR propose on island telling her ring is in room safe.

Edited by zoncom

Hi KetchupAndMuster,

Grand Cayman has a really sweet house that is made of Conch Shells. When we took our honeymoon cruise we stopped in Grand Cayman, and the Conch Shell House was really pretty. Google it and see what you think. Congratulations to you! Are you also going to Jamaica? Dunns River Falls is really nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please, do NOT carry ring onshore. Those are not the safest islands. You might propose in Muranos or other alternate restaurants with a nice bottle of champagne. Set it up with Maitre D. Ask for a private table.OR propose on island telling her ring is in room safe.

I agree, maybe a special dessert after dinner then ask? Maitre D will help. Ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is such a private event and your 'lady' will treasure the way you express your wish to spend your life with her. make tIT YOUR words, your stryle..... not ours.

bEst wishes and let u;s know when she ssays yES. :)

I totally agree that how you propose should reflect what feels right to you.

That said, if you are simply looking for ideas to consider, not much beats a spectacular Caribbean sunset from your private balcony IMNSHO.

Also, don't feel like you have to go overboard. What you say and how you say it will matter more to her than the setting. If she is shy or a private person, she might not even like a proposal in a public place.

Do come back and let us know what you decided to do and how it went. Non-romantics can just skip your thread. lol

Edited by mamasylvia

Carry the ring with you...when you find the "right moment", you'll know.....at least, I hope so! I don't think "creative" is the best way...I think "from the heart" is.....if it's right, you'll know it...and so will she.

Good luck, and congratulations! We just celebrated 40 years last Sunday....43 together. It takes WORK and commitment...but it's SO worth it!

I agree. My son made all these grand plans of how and when he was going to propose then one night he was walking with her on deck before dinner and that was it.... that was the moment. She said yes and they were married 10 years ago this year.

As for not carrying it ashore because you might be robbed. Just keep it in your pocket. It isn't like a robber is going to pat you down or stop all tourists walking to by to see if they have something worth while.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Had a front row seat for an onboard proposal many years ago: at dinner on the first formal night after table was cleared and dessert orders taken the strolling guitar combo surrounded the table playing "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You" and out came the ring. The rest of us had thought they were already married! Of course she said yes--but she was clearly fighting to stop bawling tears of joy the rest of the night.

So it really comes down to how you think your soon-to-be fiancee will react in a public place or group of strangers vs. a private intimate setting. Or whether she would prefer a seemingly totally spontaneous act or the climax of an elaborately planned event. Have to judge which setting plays to her particular emotions the best. Or which would be the least awkward should a "yes" not be her immediate answer.

Edited by fishywood

As for not carrying it ashore because you might be robbed. Just keep it in your pocket. It isn't like a robber is going to pat you down or stop all tourists walking to by to see if they have something worth while.

It very much depends what sort of person your intended fiancee is. If she enjoys being the centre of attention then arrange something in the MDR or your favourite bar on a formal night. If she's a more private person then a stroll up on the Solstice Deck at sunset might be a lovely place to propose. If you want a totally private option then propose on your balcony.

If you do choose to propose ashore be very careful. Pickpockets are very adept at going through pockets without being detected. Put the ring in a money pouch under your clothing.

Here's something a bit different: you could rent one of The Alcoves for the first day at sea and propose then:

http://www.celebritycruises.com.au/life-on-board/onboard-facilities/restaurants-cafes/speciality-dining/the-alcoves/

http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/CEL/CE_Incentive_Meeting_Charters_eSales_Kit/New_Resources/Alcoves_and_Picnic_Basket_Rates_Flyer.pdf

If not an Alcove, rent a cabana at a private beach onshore - that would be an unforgettable place for a proposal. DO bring along a bottle of champagne in your beach bag!

I'll preface this by saying I've been married 45 years and my proposal was pretty low key. I don't know if you have been living together or for how long. Perhaps this will be your first trip together, sharing every minute.

Personally, I would propose way before getting on the ship (just in case), otherwise it could be very awkward and a very long cruise. Doing it in advance, you have better control of the situation and then can look forward being committed and being together every minute of the cruse with your future plans to plot.

If you are sure the answer will be YES, then I'd do it early on the cruise if not before.

Best of luck for your future and perhaps many happy cruises together to follow.

Edited by cruzincurt

I would say really consider your GF's personality. I'm an introvert and would be horrified at a public proposal! I hate my own birthday because I hate being the center of attention, even within our extended family lol

I would love a romantic sunset on our private balcony.